Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: DEEP SPACE: Space vampires and work safety  (Read 35514 times)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DEEP SPACE
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2022, 07:26:12 pm »

"whoah, this place is huge"
go see the Temple to the Void Watchers
Spoiler: Jim (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 12:37:58 am by m1895 »

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2022, 08:00:43 pm »

((Everyone loves that dang crazy old man lol))
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2022, 08:08:43 pm »

"Hm, I do believe I need a more fashionable look."
"My friend if you wanted fashion you should of came prepared! The fashion they sell here are probably only fit for blue collar workers and dogs I mean have you seen this place?" Steve chuckles "Here let me take you around I have experience finding diamonds in the rough in places like this afterall, im sure I can secure you something more fitting of a man such as yourself."

Lead Ozwald to the exact same place he was already going and attempt to secure him some quality clothing
Spoiler: Steve Goldwin (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 08:14:59 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2022, 10:28:12 pm »

((My guy we are going to get along quite well.  8)))

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2022, 11:13:46 pm »

((Indeed we shall my friend! Indeed we shall! 8)))

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2022, 04:11:36 am »

"How did I get here?"
Go forth and see what kinds of guns they have for sale!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2022, 09:10:21 am »

Join the gaggle of people following Gambatta.  The old man.  Ironyowl.

Give the three filament cartridges to Maxwell Hardberger.  Check to see if inventory mechanics can be cheesed by storing items inside the autocage, using it as a kind of backpack.

Spoiler: Kander (click to show/hide)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2022, 10:26:43 am »

how do we use our prayer beads/void shards?
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2022, 10:50:23 am »

how do we use our prayer beads/void shards?
((I believe PW has said that the prayer beads and the parasite grant you 1 ability on character creation. The void shard allows you to use void abilities, but you don't start off with one. I'd assume you can visit the Temple of the Void Watchers PW mentioned when describing our landing to get one tho.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2022, 02:15:26 pm »

(Update for those with power granting starting items)

Hlaine Lockley: The following has been unlocked

Telekinesis
Users can move objects within their line of sight using their mind. Rolls Knowledge, with the user able to lift about 100lbs per level of Knowledge (Ie d8 = 300lbs) Requires sacrifice of 1 level of Strength. If user is at d4 strength already, take d10 HP damage instead. Uses d4 SP per activation.

Anton Barrick: The following has been unlocked

Fist of Uncompromising Tungsten
When dealing unarmed damage, you may choose to activate this skill. When active, unarmed damage will be equal to a roll of your strength die instead of normal unarmed. D4 SP Per strike.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 02:29:01 pm by piecewise »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2022, 04:41:38 pm »

Fragment of void gives you no starting abilities?

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2022, 11:53:55 pm »

That's why it costs 50% less

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2022, 05:30:26 pm »

Make my way over to a clothing merchant to see if there are any nice clothes available.

You squeeze through the crowd and head north along the metal plate road. You quickly pick up that this area is called "Leeches' Alley" by the Shipbreakers and "Iron Road" by the locals. The first clothing shop you come across is a bit...esoteric. Its built into one the large cargo containers the Shipbreakers are using to transport salvage, with the front doors open wide to create a sort of display area with clothing along the inside of either door and a scrap metal wall erected in the mouth of the container.  The only sign is a flapping banner with a picture of a shirt and pants embroidered on it in red.  The owner, who is laying curled up in front, appears to be some sort of giant red, white, and black banded snake.  As you come closer the shop owner disentangles themselves a bit and rises up so its head is about the height of your own, revealing a dozen reptilian arms branching off its body in a centipede-like fashion. It gestures about itself with all its limbs at once, body swaying slowly, speaking with a language that hisses out between its scaly lips like bubbling tea kettles.  When you just shake your head in confusion it produces a box from somewhere within its coils. It holds the box towards you and speaks again. Again its voice comes out as an incomprehensible staccato hiss but then the box begins speaking in a language you can understand.

"This one greets you, patron. Look upon my wares and find what pleases you. Custom garments are available as well."

You nod, which the snake mimics, and take a look at the clothing. The clothing is all quite loose and flowing stuff, the kind of thing meant to block sunlight and prying eyes more than shelter the body from any harsh weather. There are shirts, robes, pants, dresses, undergarments, all of it fairly simple in construction without flowing lace or complex shapes. They come in only warm colors: red, orange, black, white, yellow, tan, and gold. They lack any sort of complex geometric patterns or anything of the sort, instead relying on bands of color not unlike the bands of color on their creator. These bands follow patterns of color and relative size, though they're smaller and more numerous on sleeves, pant legs, and skirts than on the bodies of shirts or full dresses.  You touch the fabric and are surprised to find that they appear to be woven out of websilk.  Seems they have been trading with the Shipbreakers or maybe the Scavengers.

"My friend if you wanted fashion you should of came prepared! The fashion they sell here are probably only fit for blue collar workers and dogs I mean have you seen this place?" Steve chuckles "Here let me take you around I have experience finding diamonds in the rough in places like this afterall, im sure I can secure you something more fitting of a man such as yourself."

Lead Ozwald to the exact same place he was already going and attempt to secure him some quality clothing
Spoiler: Steve Goldwin (click to show/hide)
As Oswald examines the clothing on offer, you engage with the shop keep. [5] Haggling with an alien in a language you don't know via a translator is not the easiest thing, but you manage. You get the shop to promise to make a full custom suit for Oswald for only 50 credits. Oswald didn't particularly ask for this and doesn't seem to have noticed the favor you did him, at least not yet.

Check out the Grand Lodge.

Spoiler: Maxwell Hardberger (click to show/hide)
You head towards the East, along with most of the group fresh off the Cargo vessel. However, as they continue on towards the Engine in the distance, you split off to instead investigate the Grand Lodge.

The Grand Lodge is not a building, at least not a traditional one. As you get closer you can see the metal ramps and barricades around its base which hide the colossal verniers and thrusters which brought it here from orbit. It is a module of the much larger main ship that still orbits the planet, a temporary headquarters for as long as the Guild is on this planet. The buttresses which enclose it like a great ribcage are equal parts structural and ceremonial, its spires and spikes are anchor points as well as ornaments. Apprentices and Guildmen give you wary looks as you climb the precisely milled grand stairway up to the industrial sized airlock that serves as the Lodge's entrance. The doors of the airlock are locked open for the moment and you enter into the lobby. It is a long and very tall room, with what look like metal pillars set into the side walls. However, these pillars only stretch half way up the height of the room before blossoming out into busts of men and women. You have no idea who they are, but you assume they're important.  The entire room is as sterile and spotlessly clean as a fresh surgical scalpel. At the other end of the room is a reception desk manned by young woman what looks like a military uniform. Her appearance and expression fit perfectly with this place.

"whoah, this place is huge"
go see the Temple to the Void Watchers
Spoiler: Jim (click to show/hide)

As you head down what the locals call "Iron Road" you eventually come across the small Void Watcher temple. The building, apparently constructed in the shell of some huge cylindrical electrical component, is little more than a shrine. It is a single large room with a magnetically contained fragment of Void floating in its center and three levels of metal benches welded to the bottom, middle and upper parts of the cylinder. The middle and upper seats are accessed by a ladder welded near the doorway and have a guard rail of sorts running in front of them to prevent worshipers from tumbling off.  There are a few worshipers here now, scattered among the levels, all staring silently into the void. The room is surprisingly quiet, almost all noise from the outside is cut off and the only real sound is the soft hum of the containment system.  An elder watcher, distinguishable by his black attire and matching black eyes greets you.

"Welcome, child of the Void, to our humble shrine. We grant refuge to new arrivals and to the few faithful within the shipbreakers. What may I do for you? "

"How did I get here?"
Go forth and see what kinds of guns they have for sale!
You head down what locals call "Iron Road" until you come across a vendor selling weapons. The shop, a fairly spacious if crude box built of fused ship plating, has its back wall entirely covered in merchandise and its side walls lined with display cases and laser turrets. The turrets track you as you walk to the counter where an old man is sitting, leaning back in his chair with his feet up on the countertop. At his feet is a holo-projector, which is throwing a 3d representation of some kind of action movie into the air just above the man's toes.  As you reach the counter the shop keeper swings his feet- both of which are cybernetic- to the ground with a grunt and turns in his chair to face you. He doesn't say anything, just stares.

You look around. The sign outside read simply "GUNS" and the selection is about as inspired as the name. This place is clearly designed to take advantage of those who came with little or no preparation in terms of weaponry. You search through the racks of peacekeeper rifles and de-regulated laser cutters for something better than your own weapon. [4] You eventually find a Thermo-Lash. Its a modified version of the energy tether used in zero g salvaging, this one burning with plasma and leaping to nearby targets instead of just tethering them together.  It deals d8 damage to the first target, d4 to the next, and d2 to the third. Good for groups but a bit dangerous in a melee: could leap to friends.

Head out towards the buildings in the north-east.

"Feels good to be back in the harness after so long, feels like forever since I worked shipping."

Spoiler: Lorin Veritz (click to show/hide)

You head north, down the Iron Road, and finally out beyond the boundaries of the shipbreaker's Camp.  The smooth baseplates of the camp are replaced with a thin layer of sand over alien metal.  The Enigma rests just beneath the surface of the desert here, bits of it sticking up here and there like islands in a sandy sea. Further north the sand is replaced by bare metal as the ground slopes slightly upwards towards the yawning chasm of the Steel Pit. Even from where you are, cutting a circumspect path around the hole towards the buildings in the North East, you can see the jagged edge of that pit bowing outward and upward.  That hole is nearly a kilometer wide, and it wasn't made by the impact that sunk the ship into the sand: something was either torn off or burst out from within to make a hole like that.  You think, far to the north, you can see what that something might have been.  Through the heat haze and blowing sand you can't make out any real details but between the Northern most pair of engines is another colossal thing. It looks to be resting in an unnatural position, like it was dumped there instead of purposefully attached.

You continue around to the North East and make your way towards the buildings. As you get closer you get a better look at what they all are.  In the center there's another engine, though this one is much smaller than the other monolithic structures. All that you can see is the nozzle rising like a giant metal bowl out of the sands around it. Around the engine are some scattered buildings, maybe two dozen of them, mostly clustered on the southwest side facing the Shipbreaker camp. They are almost all made out of old cargo containers in various stages of disrepair, some stood vertically and others laid on their sides. As you get closer still you can see that one of the larger ones is actually fused to or perhaps penetrating into the wall of the engine nozzle.

You decide to skirt around those other buildings and head towards the one piercing the engine. Eventually you can see a sign made of welded metal that reads "Vernierville" above the entrance to that cargo container.  There are a handful of locals hanging around the outer buildings as you approach but none of them make any moves towards you, so you head into the container. The interior of the container is lit only by a few strips of diode lights running along the roof of the roof, so you have to be careful of your footing as you climb the gentle slope through the container and out the other side.

The container is, as you expected, a crude tunnel of sorts through the wall of the nozzle and you step out into the inside of the giant bowl. There's a layer of sand forming a mostly flat surface on which many more buildings sit. These structures, generally made from smaller square shaped containers,  are scattered around in small clusters. There are maybe 50 or 60 "Buildings" you can identify and much of the area within the nozzle is still open and unused. You see signs advertising a Void Watcher temple, general shop, armorer's, gunsmith's, the "Pilot Light" bar, a fight pit, and other "attractions". Finally, and most obviously, is a very out of place structure built along the curving wall near the entrance. The huge satellite dish and bright red and yellow colorations mark the prefab building as an outpost of the "Universal Survey" corporation. 

"Wahaha! Well what are we waiting for, let's go get rich and dead!"

Jog merrily towards the engines overgrown engine, soak in the sights, and finally get some good exercise!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Ready to go, dad? Shouldn't stand around looking clueless, people will rob us."

Keep pace with that old man. With a hand on the hilt of my blade.

Spoiler: Xeriay (click to show/hide)
"Wahaha! Well what are we waiting for, let's go get rich and dead!"
"You're rather chipper, sifu." Hlaine says to the old man, running hand through his hair before putting the helmet back on. "Eager to get into the belly of the beast then?

Before we plunge inside, I'm rather keen on having a look around. Maybe try and loop around that hole in the middle? There's a couple of places between the further engines that we haven't seen anything of yet. "

Recieve my first psychic ability, if possible.

Walk with the old man (ironyowl). See if we can't visit/see what the two map points currently marked with ? are.

Spoiler: Hlaine (click to show/hide)
Stick with whoever’s doing something important.
Spoiler: Terra (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I Head to the temple of the void
Hmm.

Amon trails behind the old man suspiciously with SPEED and CHARISMA
Join the gaggle of people following Gambatta.  The old man.  Ironyowl.

Give the three filament cartridges to Maxwell Hardberger.  Check to see if inventory mechanics can be cheesed by storing items inside the autocage, using it as a kind of backpack.

Spoiler: Kander (click to show/hide)
(Autocages can carry objects. For small autocages though the big issue is size. They're not very big so they can't carry much. From your path you can see the smaller engine to the north and the outer buildings, vaguely see the Steel Pit, but everything else is too far to see clearly thanks to sand and heathaze.)

Gambatta, Xeriay, Hlaine, Terra, Anton, Amon, and Kander all head towards the east and the engine looming beyond the Shipbreaker's camp. The group weaves through the housing area and circles around the Grand Lodge before crossing the remaining mostly empty baseplates until they reach the edge of the camp. For the first few hundred feet from the camp there's nothing but sand and the occasional exposed bit of alien metal. However, further east a carpet of small plants appears. These plants are not a single homogenous group; instead there are dozens or even hundreds of varieties. Many resemble ferns or succulents, with either many thin, frond like leaves or thick geometric shaped bulbs. They are almost all at least partially metallic red in color with secondary vivid oranges, yellows, black and even shimmering diamond dust white. Here, on the outer edge, they're tiny and huddled close to the ground, but the closer one gets towards the engine, the larger they become. Those at the base of the engine are, the group estimates, big enough to build a house inside while the ones actually clinging to the engine itself are even larger than that. What starts as a thin coating of plant life becomes a dense jungle nearer to the base of the engine.

Among this vegetation the group can see several interesting things. First, to the north, they can see what looks like maybe a dozen or so people gathering plants and loading them onto a giant autocage they've apparently retrofitted for this purpose. Second, this jungle is not inhabited only by would-be farmers: alien life of all kinds seems to inhabit it. They see bird like insects circling, dozens of hexapod...things crossing as a herd in the distance, and even something enormous moving through the denser parts. And finally, on the giant plants that cling to the engine and directly around it they notice an odd luminescence. Its almost like there's light pulsing through the plants like blood through tissue. Its quite difficult to see in the bright sun, but its still vaguely there.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2022, 07:15:54 pm »

"I do say my friend," Ozwald turns to Steve, his voice a southern debonair drawl. Looking him up and down, nodding satisfied to be in the company of a fashionable and glib tongued individual then offers him a hand in greeting "I am impressed, names Ozwald J. Hamond. Might I say it is a pleasure to meet a gentleman of equal tastes." if he takes it he'll find the 50 he needs to pay for the suit.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 07:18:30 pm by Horizon »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2022, 07:54:02 pm »

Go deeper into the forest, trusting that my knowledge and charisma will protect and help me, hoping to find some cool things
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23