Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone able to help a new adventurer?  (Read 1770 times)

Kaelos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Anyone able to help a new adventurer?
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

Okay, firt let me start by asking what I should do starting out as an adventurer? I've tried one quest for a town of humans twice, first time dieing from the Ettin I was sent to kill, the other time dieing from a giant bat that was in the same cave...

Aside from that, I've been to a dwarven underground fortress and an elven forest retreat. The dwarves seemed to be empty, no shops, just guards and peasant... do they really have that much space yet no shops and nothing important seeming..? As for the elves, they just stand in a small area in a forest... and seem to have no shops... and I saw a druid once, but apparantly he wasn't the leader of the place.

And lastly, any advice for a new adventurer on what to do to find good equipment, etc.?

Hope someone can help >_<

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone able to help a new adventurer?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

Well, dwarven caves and elven forests are mostly useless right now.  They might be good for recruiting but thats 'bout it.(right now recruiting is gimped anyway until next version)

Pretty much anything you do has a good chance of killing you until you get better with your weapons.  Normally I would recommend a cave but it's not working it seems.  So instead maybe try killing wildlife in the random encounters for awhile then try the cave.  

Once you can consistently live a cave, start going after goblins for their equipment.  You can use any weapons you get your hands on and despite the armor being unwearable the humans will buy the stuff for a mint especially the stuff made of giant cave spider silk.  Then wander around until something crits you and kills you.

You can of course go straight for the goblins and still have a good chance of escaping with loot.  Just if you see a bowgoblin or a master kiss your ass goodbye.  If you see a demon you probably won't have time to do even that.

P.S. And it's typically a good idea to get some skill in wrestling as well as your weapon and armor.  Wrestling skill doubles as your dodge skill.  Also unless you like the gambling, its a good idea to use the "c" menu to tell yourself to always strike(never charge) and always try to dodge.

EDIT:Fixed 'spelling'

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

Ya and yer, can't you just use real words?
Shoes...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

I spent too much of my time typing like this and it has become habit.  If it bothers you that much I will try to stop.  You are the first to complain.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Kaelos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »

I didn't have any problem reading it at all... In fact, didn't even notice untill something was said XD Thanks for the advice, trying it all out now. So far, I've already had fun hitting a lion with a cheetah's vomit  :)

ThePaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

Yeah, it is a bug. As for me, I don't like to use it. It's very easy to increase your throwing skill and it is VERY deadly even with vomit, sand and other ridiculos throwing objects.

Homez

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I think there's a Titan under my bed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

I have to be honest... I just started Adv. Mode, and I found a wagon, and don't even know how to pick up items... I guess that falls under general controls. Is there a place I can learn these?
What better way to keep a fortress clean than to make it out of soap?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

picking up items would be 'g'

Adventure mode keys

There is also an ingame one accessed from the '?' key.

Homez

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I think there's a Titan under my bed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

Thanks alot! Now I just have to fix the system to where I have a back-up save if I die! =-P

But really, I checked out '?' menu, and it really helped. Thanks!

What better way to keep a fortress clean than to make it out of soap?

Grebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

Easiest way to cheat on death is ctrl+alt+del and endtask the dwarf fortress app.  Not that I employ it very much or anything....

I especially don't do it when walking along minding my own business and an iron bolt comes flying from nowhere and pokes my throat out.