Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34

Author Topic: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)  (Read 26066 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)
« Reply #375 on: February 08, 2022, 12:55:02 pm »

Tube, do the aliens have some time structure equivalent in purpose to a week?
(You know almost nothing about their internal structure, outside of a deferrence to authority figures and what appears to be extensive militarisation. The Prognosticator was focused on the language and can only pull so much knowledge at one time.)
Fair enough. Did he catch what they call themselves, though? That seems like a language thing.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 08, 2022, 01:02:18 pm »

Tube, do the aliens have some time structure equivalent in purpose to a week?
(You know almost nothing about their internal structure, outside of a deferrence to authority figures and what appears to be extensive militarisation. The Prognosticator was focused on the language and can only pull so much knowledge at one time.)
Fair enough. Did he catch what they call themselves, though? That seems like a language thing.
(They call themselves the Zoguwn, or Zoguwn'ii, (pronounced Zhag-ua-un, Zhag-ua-un-eeee) in reference to themselves as a whole, or toward their nation-state equivalent. What you choose to call them is another matter entirely.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 01:07:52 pm by Tube Wizard »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 08, 2022, 01:17:55 pm »

+1 to the rifle duel then.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 08, 2022, 01:22:58 pm »

I feel I should say this I think we would be quite negligent to not have strike packages already prepared for all of the known nuclear launch locations on this world rather its lance battery strikes or drop pod insertions. We have a massed force of such military power we can literally pull these creatures teeth before they can threaten anyone besides maybe the assets currently on the surface. If we detect any attempt to launch either by unusual radio signals or launch hatches sliding open we should be able to prevent the launches either through orbital bombardment or steel rain.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 08, 2022, 02:09:45 pm »

"The Xenos are to settle this immediately, through an honorable rifle duel."
+1 to the concept at least, but maybe have our psyker try to send a psychic message to the one with the auto gun saying something along the lines of we prefer to deal with the strong and right now you have the tool to prove your strength.
+1 long arms only.
Giving them time has the potential for unforeseen consequences. This is a matter of disagreement, and they are a nuclear civilization, and warships over their heads turns up the pressure. We don't want to let them make the decision in a manner which results in them blowing themselves up.

Rifles. Duel.
+1 to the rifle duel then.

"Giving the Xenos time to bicker could risk the well-being of our acquisition. We've already confirmed their access to atomics and as we've been shown time and again, Xenos lack the restraint of mankind. They are to settle this immediately, through trial-by-combat." The Prognosticator breathes into the vox. "Appropriate. By what means?" You've already decided. "By rifle. They'll have five minutes to select a champion between themselves. May the better abomination prevail."

The Prognosticator raises his voice, amplifying it to respond to the amassed Xenos. More vile sound comes from the debasement of his human tongue, but almost immediately, the tension of their argument stops and is replaced with a twitching, trembling excitement. Their leaders scramble into two loose groups and move quickly. In less than two minutes they've determined a true representative, to be tested in combat. You note that rather than choose the one with the largest size or steadiest hooks, they select the leader with the shiniest shell in both cases. Each takes a rifle from their nearby bodyguard and spring to the furthest extent away that they can. Each racks the bolt to check it's been loaded and on confirmation, aim and open fire without hesitation. You notice that they rest the barrel on one of their hooks to steady it, while two others manipulate the weapon itself. Their hooks are unexpectedly dextrous and precise, though crude and clumsy before the majesty of the human hand.

The Pro-Protectorate champion gets a shot off first, the recoil nearly flinging the rifle from his grasp. *BOOOOOOOOM* Its lead shot flies across the field in moments, cracking its opponent's shell, but they are unphased and take more time to "shoulder" their weapon. The Pro-Assimilation champion angles the barrel and fires twice in rapid succession, *BOOOOOOOOM* -it racks the bolt- *BOOOOOOOOOM* The first wings its opponent's shell, inflicting only minimal damage, but the second bores a hole through the supporting hook, snapping it in half so that it hangs, limp and useless, by but a single gory strand. Their blood is a vivid shade of turqoise. The loss of the appendage, rather than shock the Xenos into inaccuracy, only causes a brief squeal as it adjusts to a fourth. It fires *BOOOOOOOOM* and scores the shell in the same location as the first, deepening the crack, and this slows the other as they turn to present their undamaged side, free-hooking a shot at the same time. *BOOOOOOOOOM* This strikes the other in the center mass, ripping apart the central tendons keeping three hooks attached. It snarls, audible over the field, and its remaining side operates the rifle, firing again *BOOOOOOOOM* and inflicting a devastating hit into the Xenos' core, rending its maw apart and mangling their core. Yet the Xenos' hooks are intact and it fails to react to the mortal trauma as appropriate, aiming and shooting- *BOOOOOOOOOM* -blowing through the joints of two hooks at once. Only when it realizes its inability to continue aiming does the Pro-Protectorate Xenos screech, and this sounds to you to be more anger than despair. It moves its spinneret, crudely gripping the rifle that's dropped onto the wet earth, and forces it over the last remaining hook just in time to- *BOOOOOOOOM* -go limp and wail as its final limb is ruined beyond repair. The Pro-Assimilation Xenos is no longer capable of speech and vital fluids are seeping out at a terrible speed, but it raises the rifle to the skies and fires, making an inarticulate keening sound in triumph. *BOOOOOOOOOM* "IIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

You suppose that the Pro-Assimilation side have won, and there is remarkably little controversy in the Pro-Protectorate losers. Even less respect for their fallen, as they leave the failure to sit, trembling in anguish. The Xenos start to discharge their rifles at the sky and keen in acknowledgement of the outcome, as the Astartes look on in disgust and do nothing. The Prognosticator goes to communicate with the leaders still-capable of speech and after several minutes, relays back. "Both will soon die of their wounds but the Pro-Assimilator is in better condition, and will still be alive for the next few hours. The other Xenos will be dead in under an hour." You clasp your servo-arms together. "I suppose that we're assimilating them, then." "It is seems so. The Xenos appear to approve of the decision-making process. We may have averted a large-scale conflict." "Good. Their numbers will be needed in the years to come." The Prognosticator sighs. "Of that, I have no doubt. What next, Brother Talnior?"

You think for some time.

"Brother, we're done here.": The Xenos can manage themselves for now, you'll be back in a month or so to see how it's gone.
"Brother, I lament your fate, but-": You'll need him to be your emissary to the Xenos, unraveling their secrets and overseeing the speedy restructuring of their society.
"Brother, your secrets are needed.": The Prognosticator's understanding of their language will be vital to deciphering their recordings and making inter-species communication possible, as the fleet hangs over the planet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:53:18 pm by Tube Wizard »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 08, 2022, 02:21:19 pm »

Leave him down there.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 08, 2022, 05:48:30 pm »

Leave him down there.
+1
Enjoy living in Xeno filth!
(secretly provide several texts on the glories of Nurgle for the bored Prognosticator to read)

On a completely unrelated matter, could I be dwarfed as a Chaplain?

3rd Company Chaplain EuchreJack reporting for duty!
Totally not in league with Nurgle (just noticed I've already been dwarfed, thanks!)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 08, 2022, 05:58:58 pm »

Euchre. Please, for the love of God, stop.

Anyway.
+1 to having this dude be our emissary/representative. The information they can provide will be much more useful given a month or so to be developed, and having a representative there involved with the process should be useful to make sure it happens in a sensible manner.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 08, 2022, 06:05:38 pm »

..at least we agree to leave the guy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 08, 2022, 06:08:15 pm »

If you're gonna do that at least make yourself an actual character so that there's plot and not just lolsorandom chaos corruption.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 08, 2022, 06:10:52 pm »

If you're gonna do that at least make yourself an actual character so that there's plot and not just lolsorandom chaos corruption.

Uh, I have a character. Check the Chapter roster. I'm the 3rd Company's Chaplain.
On behalf of the currently unnamed 3rd Company's Captain, I would humbly request a transfer of approximately 20 of our unbloodied Brothers to 7th Company in exchange for 20 of their experienced Veterans. Why let them die these cherished veterans perish on the Death World while our newbies remain painfully untested?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179502.msg8350321#msg8350321
Kinda hidden (like the mysteries of our True God's), but it's there.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 08, 2022, 06:20:14 pm »

Have we already started naming people? The High Prognosticator, Nens Nende.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 08, 2022, 06:25:44 pm »

Unofficially, I quite like these Xenos. They should make great auxiliary warriors, like the Guard among the Imperium. Lazguns are probably beyond them, but they can probably manufacturer and equip Autoguns, Missile Launchers, and Grenades.
But we should milk them for resources in the immediate future.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 08, 2022, 07:00:10 pm »

Terran Calendar
Memorandum: 133.3 A
Addressed: Our most glorious Chapter Master Talinor
Sent by: 1st Company Senior Techmarine Archeaus

Most Esteemed and Illustrious Chapter Master I do so solemnly apologize for directing this missive to your person as opposed to translating this plan to you via our esteemed Master of the Forge. However due to the unorthodox nature of the plans I am to present to you I imagine you shall be more openminded too my new designs then my somewhat hide bound superior. With our recent acquisitions of this world and in truth this whole region of space it has become apparent to even one as humble as myself that we must establish a means of monitoring, defending and communicating throughout our most blessed realm. To this purpose I have set about the design of a simple solution, I call them sentinel stations and while being a new design and thus outside of the traditional STC constructs we have been chained to it should serve your purposes admirably.

>Insert Schematic of Sentinel Station<

As you can see this small station mounts a primary defensive light lance battery that ought to see off most small scale incursions along with its point defense armaments'. However these armaments' cannot be the true purpose of this station as there are better STC designs for defensive stations no the true brilliance of my design lies in the advanced communication and observation suite. Alongside the facilities for the housing of a small Astropathic  choir these stations should be able to keep eyes on every corner of your realm most esteemed Chapter Master. While requiring a fairly small resource investment both in material and manpower being able to be manned to full capacity by no more then a platoon of our Auxiliaries and a single battle brother to serve as its commander as we certainly cant trust mere mortals to the task.

If you find this design to your satisfaction my Liege I shall happily commence construction of the first of these stations in orbit over this world. Not only to secure your new possession Enlightened One  but to also show your new subjects the immediate benefits of there service.

In Faithful Service
Senior Techmarine Archeaus

TLDR
We really ought to build some light defensive and communication stations all around our realm and this is a good of place to put the first one as any. Also I suppose this is my request to be Dorfed

Edit:
As far as the current decision goes leave him there
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:44:28 pm by UristMcRiley »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 09, 2022, 02:54:58 am »

Leaving that guy down there sounds like a good idea.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34