Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34

Author Topic: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)  (Read 26259 times)

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2022, 03:48:35 pm »

I'd rather have the three factions than the suspicious hivemind. The latter is smart, strong-willed, has a head for tech, and doesn't trust us in the slightest, making it very dangerous. The factions, in contrast, will have a harder time getting to a point where they could likely be much of a concern, and the group most likely to be able to make interesting tech is also the one least likely to do anything to us, and the fan-auths could likely be relatively easily put to heel. The only likely troublemakers are the fan-mils, who... are neolithic.

I don't care how advanced their tactics can be due to their cleverness, sharp rocks are not going to cut it against Astartes unless you get a psyker.
Personally prefer 3 factions.
Factions +1

I figure a cunning, distrustful hive mind is a lot riskier than a bunch of Stone Age factions.

Stone weapons can be surprisingly effective :P
Factions if only because Iron Will becomes nearly meaningless if there's no individuals, and because one xenophobic hivemind seems much more difficult to get on our side
+1 to factions

The Xenos are broken into three broad "factions" in their neolithic society. One Fanatically Militaristic and Egalitarian, one Fanatically Authoritarian and Militaristic, and one Xenophilic, Pacificistic, and Materialist. The first two are locked in a bloody struggle to determine what means of rule is necessary to guide their species forward, tribal democracy or strongman chieftainships. The egalitarians were the initial aggressors but the authoritarians have grown increasingly stubborn in the face of the threat they pose. Because their species doesn't require agriculture to survive and uses minimal resources, this conflict is purely ideological and driven by an iron-will, it isn't likely to end any time soon. The third is content with either and would prefer peace but have settled in different regions. Something notable about the Xenos is that unlike humanity, they don't have a nomadic past, due to their photosynthesis, they are content to remain in a small area perpetually. Their spores have nonetheless seen the population scattered over the planet.

If they were left alone for millennia, it's likely they could've reconciled their differences over time and moved on to do great things. Now that they're in the Chapter's sight, that's not likely to be happening any time soon.

There's only one question about them left to answer.

What name do the Xenos have for themselves and what, if anything, do the Chapter call them instead?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2022, 03:52:28 pm »

We call them gremlins. Our best guess on what they call themselves is something along the lines of "gwee". We're... still working on deciphering their language.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2022, 03:55:22 pm »

Their name for themselves is a rustling noise combined with an oral burst of pheromones. It's really very inconvenient. We just call them "little green men".

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2022, 03:59:20 pm »

They communicate with one another entirely through body language (although they can speak and hear), so best we can tell they call themselves Left Arm Extended, Palm Upward, Close Fist, Open Palm, Close Fist, Open Palm, Closed Fist, Upwardly Extended Central Digit, but we call them Shrugs since the meaning of that gesture is definitely shared across all species and laid the groundwork for further communication.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2022, 04:05:55 pm »

They communicate with one another entirely through body language (although they can speak and hear), so best we can tell they call themselves Left Arm Extended, Palm Upward, Close Fist, Open Palm, Close Fist, Open Palm, Closed Fist, Upwardly Extended Central Digit, but we call them Shrugs since the meaning of that gesture is definitely shared across all species and laid the groundwork for further communication.
Wow, these xenos are rude.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2022, 04:06:55 pm »

Yeah that’s why they’re always fighting

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2022, 04:09:42 pm »

I'd like to be dwarfed as a Chaplain that has secretly fallen to Nurgle Worship. When you get to it, no hurry in the Intro Generation Process.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2022, 04:18:38 pm »

We call them gremlins. Our best guess on what they call themselves is something along the lines of "gwee". We're... still working on deciphering their language.

+1 to this
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2022, 04:23:14 pm »

So, how come for the second roll "Imperial Exodus (d100) Causes" we don't get the option of "Too mutated to exist in the Imperium?"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2022, 04:34:05 pm »

That would have been "Bitter Resentment", which would have required one of the rolls to be 42-48. Neither of the rolls happened to be that.
In fact, our geneseed is pretty much perfectly fine, although it seems we don't hate aliens as much as we're supposed to.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2022, 04:59:42 pm »

Xeno Lovers!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2022, 05:22:53 pm »

...yes.
Did you not read the thread before asking to be a Nurglite Chaplain? (Who, I will note, would probably still get violently removed from life as soon as they are discovered. We didn't stop being against Chaos.)

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2022, 05:25:29 pm »

Heh

I'd like to be dwarfed as a Chaplain that has secretly fallen to Nurgle Worship. When you get to it, no hurry in the Intro Generation Process.

I'm not completely sure how that would work. I'm not intrinsically opposed to dwarf'ing but Chaos worship almost never stops at a single worshiper, and unless everyone was fine with a festering cult or schism waiting to burst open I'm not sure how that could happen.

So, how come for the second roll "Imperial Exodus (d100) Causes" we don't get the option of "Too mutated to exist in the Imperium?"

It wasn't on the original chart but that's a fair question to ask, so I edited the table to allow for it, under 84-90 for "Wretched Impurity."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2022, 06:17:51 pm »

Should probably name the factions as well for convenience.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 02, 2022, 06:20:38 pm »

Raiders, Imps, and Wall-builders, for Fanmil, Fanauth, and Pacifist respectively.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34