Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: GLADIATOR MANAGER  (Read 30402 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gladiator Manager: Chapter 1: Battle - Jungle Hunt (~GOODBYE FAM!♥)
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2022, 06:14:36 am »

Two general sports terms for both teams in a league.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2022, 02:56:08 am »

Division?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2022, 07:12:10 am »

Division?
Hm? The words start with H and A. Maybe think how we refer to either team at a baseball game...

I'll lock in actions, but I'll let you keep guessing the abbreviations since you're asking questions.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 07:14:00 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2022, 02:02:29 pm »

home and away?
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2022, 02:27:04 pm »

home and away?
Correct!
Raptors are the 'Home Team', yellow.
Gladiators are the 'Away Team' colored.

Armor will be painted these colors, you can change it between chapters.

Any guesses on the rest?
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2022, 02:21:04 am »

F, R: Think...2 part horse costume.
A pantomime horse?
Right.

If you guess part of it, I'll tell you if you're right.
Are Front and Rear the right things for this?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2022, 02:32:12 am »

Yup.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2022, 04:54:01 am »

Well at least I got one right.

FL, CL, Ct, CR, FR: One is mentioned by it's full name in a spoiler in the update.
But I have no idea for this one as I looked through the update and I guess I'm missing something.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2022, 07:27:07 am »

One Of Them:
get out of the way.  set gender to male
Gk to Far Right

When I use Capital-Capital (like PV=Poltroon Vastan) it's two words, when I use Capital-lower (like Gk=Grindak) it's one word.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 07:32:49 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #234 on: October 18, 2022, 01:55:36 am »

bump, 2/3, last day to guess third part for the update.

FL, CL, Ct, CR, FR
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gladiator Manager: Chapter 1: Battle - Jungle Hunt I: Turn 7
« Reply #235 on: November 13, 2022, 03:42:50 am »

Hey, I plan to continue this after Nov 16. I've been really focused on trying to help the Heroscape revival succeed for a month. Here is an exerpt from the next update from before I got bogged down:

Quote from: Update 17
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll reopen guesses on the third and final group of acronyms. Hint: One of them is Far Right.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:45:38 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #236 on: December 02, 2022, 12:55:24 pm »

Yup.

home and away?
Correct!
Raptors are the 'Home Team', yellow.
Gladiators are the 'Away Team' colored.

Armor will be painted these colors, you can change it between chapters.

-- -- ~~ -- -- Far Left
-- -- ~~ -- -- Center  Left
-- -- ~~ -- -- Center
-- -- ~~ -- -- Center Right
-- -- ~~ -- -- Far Right
You got it!

Looks like there is still interest in this after all. I was kind of doubting it after the very, very easy riddle was given up on(it was intended as a virtually free reward). I also felt I didn't give the game mechanics their best impression as this game has been played a lot more shallowly than designed. You can target body parts, that's 90% of the tactics. So it was my job to make that more clear and I didn't want to just leave it with that misunderstanding.

I think I'll flip the map on its' side, like seen here. that seemed to help Horizon out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 01:33:02 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: GLADIATOR MANAGER: Miss Scintilla Malison of House Constantine!
« Reply #237 on: December 12, 2022, 07:40:41 pm »

▼▼▼▼▼

"So, what did I miss?"

"Daddy! Daddy! You came!"

Scintilla embraces her cat eared father, and he pats her on the head.

"How is my little Snapdragon?"

He looks up, and the announcer and warden acknowledge the arrival of the head of House Constantine with a respectful head nod.

Everyone has treated you well, I expect?"

The announcer stiffens.

- Jungle Hunt I -

R1 {Bleeding, T ExtremePain}

(South Jungle)
A        H
FL -- Sb ~~ -- -- 1.
CL -- Bk ~~ -- -- 2.
Ct -- PV ~~ R1 -- 3.
CR -- Ow ~~ -- -- 4.
FR -- Gk ~~ -- -- 5.
Rr Ft    Ft Rr

Sb {T Pain}

- Turn 7 -

The alpha swipes with her claws and Scrambles...barely...leaps back in time. The dangling part of his purple sash gets perforated, revealing his green belly and three thin red lines growing darker on it. The other elf responds by whipping his small boulder at her chest, and the raptor lets out a dry hiss. Her nostrils instantly start bleeding. The old dwarf pounces on the downed beta, stabbing his chest again and again, until its' wild eye seems more dead than before, and its' jaw goes slack.

There is shaking. Something heavy is moving closer. A roaring giant grins through the leaves. A young man steps out from behind him.

...A short while before.

As sunlight above dims on the underground platform, the mechanical echo of guards turning a large crank grows louder, but all Ohwell hears is the droplets of Dracula's blood hitting the falling floor. As the platform slams to the ground, two guards rush to take Dracula from Ohwell's hands. They are accompanied by a short old hag, aswell as the manager's physician. He begins disrobing the gremlin. Its' tattered crimson sash falls to the floor. The woman's gruff voice gives commands, but Ohwell can't make out most of it.

As they march off carrying the limp body, the teenager kneels to study the pooled fabric. He didn't know Dracula well, but the gremlin trained with him, starved with him, in the ludus and before at the prison. Their group had kind of become an oddball family in a short time. He remembers Bulk chasing the cook around, like he was going to eat him and making Scintilla laugh. The elves, Grindak studying in the library trying to concentrate, and Scrambles knocking over his piles of books so many times while doing parkour, that Grindak knew to nudge them out of his path without even looking. He remembers sparring with the old dwarf, a respectful partner despite their age difference, but totally different in height and waist-size. Dracula was always a better match for Poltroon Vastan to practice the basics with, but he was often off somewhere, getting into mischief and exploring...

The old hag approaches Ohwell and smiles. The rattle of chains means the guards are ready to lock him up and take him away from his friends, who are in danger right now.

The boy looks back one last time...and squints at the sun in disbelief! It's...

From outside, just before the hatch shuts, large fingers grip the sides and hold it open.

♥♥ Bulk is finally awake, and is pulling Ohwell up with him, how surprising!

♥♥ Ohwell is going back to the fight, what a determined teammate!

The game warden peers off into the distance as the two rejoin the others, listening carefully to the sounds of beasts and men. "If you'd like, Miss Malison, I'd be willing to call it a draw."

Bulk Muscles and Ohwell fill in the ranks. The scrawny teenager tosses the husky dwarf a red bit of cloth. "For Dracula." Poltroon Vastan nods and ties the shredded sash over his. The alpha raptor screams death, and the gladiators, scream back. Because they know, not just that they can win, they will! The terrible lizard whips around to try to slap the dwarf and the man in the chest with her terrible tail.

"Perhaps I can interest you in an alternate reward?"

The game warden pulls something round out of his vest, and presents the white oval before Scintilla. He turns it slowly, as if selling it to her. The surface has a mesmerizing pattern of swirling ridges, and the precious thing almost tapers off to a point.

"It's a raptor egg."

She knows that look on her father's face, he's getting ready to say 'no'.

▲▲▲▲▲
Spoiler: Raptors (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Constantine Gladiators (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Miss Scintilla Malison (click to show/hide)

Gladiator Manager

Your father showing interest in your hobby has increased your available Rapport for the match, making all of your manager maneuvers, safer. Also, the warden has publicly offered a draw and thus acknowledged you as a peer(riddle solved), which has also increased this resource.

Sidenote: From now on each Quiz will be posted at the end of a chapter, and the rules will be updated before sign-ups for the next chapter begins. The reward for a quiz will now be +1 random House Token for every 5 of the 15 questions answered correctly, and the quiz will cover both Manager and Gladiator topics. In the event of little or no new gameplay material to review, questions will be more trivia and story based.

Gladiators

Here's some advanced information you can apply for the rest of the match, and study for the future...

Advanced Combat

Let's take a look at how combat works in a bit more detail, some of these things are being revised and refined somewhat.

1.14 - Targeting Body Parts
Depending on how you describe your attack, it will strike one of the humanoid Body Parts, those being Head, Torso, Left Arm, Right Arm, Left Leg, and Right Leg, though if left ambiguous it will always target the Torso(previously random). You can explicitly state one of these targets for more control, or leave it up for interpretation. The torso is easiest to hit, and if you would miss a Torso attack their dodge roll gets -1. Beasts may have unique body parts, like tails or wings, and often have natural weapons like horns, teeth, and claws.

1.15 - Attack Types
Depending on how you describe your attack, it will usually be classified as one of the common Attack Types, those being Stab, Slice, or Slam(formerly referred to as Blunt). You can explicitly state one of these types for more control, or leave it up for interpretation. Only sharp weapons can perform Slices and Stabs, but all weapons can perform Slam attacks, like the hilt of a blade weapon, but will have disadvantage if not designed for it. Try using the different attacks types depending on where you aim.
- Slam: If HIT, -1 to enemy dodge roll against an unprotected head, causing a permanent KO for the match on a critical dodge fail.
- Stab: If HIT, -1 to enemy dodge roll against an unprotected torso, causing instant death on a critical dodge fail.
- Slice: If HIT, -1 to enemy dodge roll against unprotected limbs, amputating on a critical dodge fail.
(Critical rolls for Attack Types replace the general critical rolls for attacks.)

1.16 - Blocking
You can block a body part with another body part, a weapon or object, or a shield. A body part will be considered "unprotected" if the armor or blocking item fails a gear clash with the weapon(superior material manages to break inferior).

1.17 - Hobbled and Immobile
If one leg is in extreme pain/crippled, a unit gets no initiative bonus and may only attack enemies in the front row, even if they are not blocked. If both legs are in extreme pain/crippled, a unit cannot change position or get advantage. An ally can still send them to the back row by moving in front of them.

1.18 - Disarming
A held weapon is dropped when the wielder's arm is in extreme pain, and cannot be picked up by the owner until/unless the pain dissipates to regular pain or below.

The hunt continues! (+10 Rapport)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 01:00:23 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #238 on: December 12, 2022, 07:41:34 pm »

|_|O=(‘-‘Q)

I've made a personal decision to not post any new games in 2023 that are not comic forum games. That said, games from before, like this one can continue as long as interest remains. Otherwise there wont be a sequel to this before 2024.

It's possible there will be more pauses. I really wish I could run this like the first prologue chapter and be fast and consistent, but sometimes I just stare at the screen and just can't. I may hold off on introducing new stuff like weapons and armor, or more animal units or special arenas, until I feel like I can get into a better rhythm without too much stuff going on. I know I am not the only game host that struggles with this, but I really want to prove to myself I still can keep up pace. I will probably fail in that goal again and again, but I will always try to stack the deck in favor of my success.

I'm also waaay more attached to your characters than I should be for a game about life and death, and I have to admit, this update was exciting to write. I reduced the gladiator limit from 7 to 5, so even with hops gone, we do have a full party...I think? I wanted to match the OG StarCraft player colors, so I needed an excuse for King Zultan's character to switch from limegreen to red, hopefully my solution was sensible enough. :)

(BTW I'm not going to turn this into a comic game, but I imagine it would look something like this.)

You have a week, take your time, discuss. It will be good practice for harder battles!

Archive:
Spoiler: Old Intro/Thread Rules (click to show/hide)
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2022, 03:35:10 am »

Is raptor one dead or not, because one spoiler says it's dead the other doesn't. Need that info so I figure out what I'm doing in the turn.

Also what's a comic game is that like a ISG?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18