Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: GLADIATOR MANAGER  (Read 30383 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gladiator Manager
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2022, 09:26:58 am »

Gunna drop this.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2022, 01:08:58 am »

Well damn.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2022, 04:29:29 pm »

I'm in a bit of a funny place with this game.

I had pretty much finished a massive overhaul, but I just wasn't feeling it. I also don't want to lose that work for reference in the future.

I'm gunna post another update, you're welcome to respond to it, perhaps if there's a big turnout I'll continue...
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2022, 02:59:23 am »

I'll still play if your gonna keep going.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2022, 03:23:42 pm »

Same. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2022, 04:20:53 pm »

I'll still play if your gonna keep going.

Same. 

Thanks, either way you can expect more Gladiator Manager someday. I even hosted it in 2016, 6 years ago. Each time it's a bit better.

Maybe I'll do it more often.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gladiator Manager - Chapter 1: Battle
« Reply #201 on: September 01, 2022, 05:09:29 am »

Spoiler: Notice: Back Tomorrow (click to show/hide)

Cat in charge of store.

Edit: Back.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 01:14:01 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gladiator Manager - Chapter 1: Battle (Coming Soon.)
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2022, 03:41:19 pm »

I finished the update, but I had so many last minute ideas, that I'm gunna sit on it for a day. Make sure I'm done, and happy. I think it's pretty good. Will PM everyone tomorrow. :)

highlights:
- more manager options, seriously.
- knock out mechanics clarified
- lots of smaller stuff less vague, more refined, tidy.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gladiator Manager - Chapter 1: Battle (Coming Soon.)
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2022, 11:29:23 am »

▼▼▼▼▼

Pooled water still trickles off the bamboo watchtower roof.

A dwarf adorned in red priest robes is making an irritated squinting face. "The greenery may be good for the sport, but not for the spectacle!"
"Usually they are too afraid to go in there,"
replies a posh elf, "or flee from it soon after."
The dwarf grunts. The elf grins.
"You know, I've seen these slaves before, at the auctionhouse. Bloodied up another lot twice their size."
"You don't say? Twice their size?"
"Well, minus that sleeping giant, of course."
"Does that mean they have a chance?"

The elf's grin sours. "You can't just enjoy sport for its' own sake!? Fine, I bet 100,000 Flaviah on the Auctionhouse Brawlers." A tiny pouch spills out teal coins on a small round table between them.
The dwarf drops a reticule of matching weight, then firmly shakes the elf's limp hand. "100,000 Flaviah? I take that as a no."

The cold air is warmed by the unobscured rays of the summer sun, yet the air is still moist. Already the cicadas resume their hypnotic chirping. The heat permeates the brush. Even in the sharp shadows of jungle leaves, it is hard to breath.

And yet, there are screams.

- Jungle Hunt I -

R1 {T Pain, RA Extreme Pain}, R2 {RL Extreme Pain}

(South Jungle)
( -- -- -- -- -- )
( R2 -- -- -- R1 )
( ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ )
( PV GK SB OW -- )
( -- -- ND -- -- )

ND {Heavy Bleeding, H Pain, RA Pain}, BK {AFK in Central Meadow}

- Turn 5 -

The Grand Vizier of Horripilation gets up on its' tiny gremlin legs, and hobbles away, dripping blood from it's slashed arms. The raptor won't give up her prey so easily. She clamps down on Dracula's head, but when it pulls away, all she is left with, is a clump of hair. The gremlin's hairdo continues to look just as patchy and mottled as any other day. Poltroon Vastan and Grindak rush in to help, the dwarf stabs the predator's left arm, the elf whips on the flail to smash her right. She roars in protest, and prepares to slap them both with her thick tail.

The sickly raptor creeps his way up to Ohwell and nearly nips the teen's arm. Scrambles darts in and delivers a punch to his right leg that's quick but painful, judging by the way he roars, and his wide white eye that stares at nothing. He stumbles to the ground! The gladiators exchange a quick optimistic glance.

Back at the watchtower, the warden is deliberately rubbing his chin. A nearby elf, grins.

▲▲▲▲▲
Spoiler: Raptors (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Constantine Gladiators (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Miss Scintilla Malison (click to show/hide)

Pop Quiz 2 Answers

1. In the last Pop Quiz questions number four, five, and eight refer to removed mechanics.
2. A critical roll of 2 or 12 will ignore modifiers.
3. A custom request can be made for a new character's race, so long as they have no inhuman parts with advantages (horns, tusks, scales, etc.).
4. The higher your Agility, the higher your turn priority.
5. T.R.A.I.T.S. can be increased twice during the Prepare Phase, and once after each Battle Phase.
6. In this Jungle Hunt, you need to defeat 2 raptors to win.
7. A hunt is separated into different areas you can move between, but doing so takes a turn.
8. The game warden dropped a crude knife.
9. Pain injury tokens penalizing using specific body parts. A part can get a second one.
10. Bleeding injury tokens accumulate for the whole body. If you have 2 or more you could eventually die.
11. Flanking is to attack someone on the back row. This requires there is no opponent in front of you.
12. If you are in the back row, you automatically move to the front if no teammate is in front of you.
13. Reputation Points are earned by impressing the audience, and are represented by '♥'s.
14. At 50 Reputation, a gladiator that impresses the Emperor may earn their freedom.
15. Grindak improvised a giant flail using woven plants tied to a head-sized rock.

I'll leave the bonus questions unanswered, and the prize of a Free Skip on 1 future question open. Maybe it will come in handy.

The OP has been updated to reflect gameplay and mechanics up to Pop Quiz 2. From now on, updates on passive mechanics will be spoilered. They may still be important, consider skimming over them or reading them for an advanced understanding of the game. Active mechanics are basic knowledge, so non-spoiled gameplay updates for your role are essential reading. Next time I will require 50% completion to proceed. This can be skipped with the Free Skip coupon, without reward. Most questions won't be from spoilers.

Gladiator Manager

1.10 - Personal Tokens
These new tokens are easier to to obtain than House Tokens, but have less potency and go away after battle. You can only obtain 1 type of personal token per turn, but if you also spent some you won't gain any. Reticule tokens ignore both of these limitations!
Rumor: Talking to minor NPC characters will give you this token type. Spend Rumor tokens to either start a new rumor, which will be harder the more outlandish it is, or to seek out gossip, possibly leading to new business and strategic opportunities.
Ruse: Talking to major NPC characters, such as the rival manager, will give you this type of token. Spend Ruse tokens to persuade NPCs into doing what you want, under the deception it is in their own interest.
Rapport: 1/10th of the combined Reputation of your gladiators equals how many of these tokens you start with. Rapport tokens are automatically exhausted to protect you from consequences when you upset authority. The severity of your error determines the amount lost. (I may award you 1 if you or a gladiator or spectator spot a significant error in my newest update. Or several helpful smaller ones over time.)
Reticule: Flaviah is the current currency in Rome. 1 Fortune token may be cashed out for ℱ500,000, for less abstract, and more precise bartering, albeit at a loss of purchasing power on a larger scale. Flavia can only be used in increments of 100,000, 1 Reticule token. Additionally, You start every battle with ℱ100,000. If you have ℱ1,000,000 or more at the end of battle, you will get 1 Fortune token. (For this battle only, it's ℱ500,000 or more.)
+1 Reticule

Note: As both raptors have converged on them, giving Manager Orders to the main gladiator group wont matter. In hindsight, perhaps I should have let your ruse to shout backwards work, at least once. Even if afterword I'd insist any communication demands shouting in their direction to be heard. I have decided to show generosity for your guile.
+1 Ruse

Gladiators

1.11 - Knock Out / Wake Up
Pain tokens will dissipate from each body part with no significant injury by 1 per turn, if none were added to it this turn. They ignore 1 pain token from each attack. If someone would receive pain tokens to either the head and torso when they already have 2, they will pass out, until pain tokens dissipate from those parts. Someone who is knocked out can be woken up by someone else. If both legs have 2 pain tokens, a biped wont be able to stand.
Note: Injuries will now be classed based on minimum residual pain, either Trivial(0), Minor(1), or Major(2). Also, while the rate of bloodloss is cumulative for the whole body, effectively treating a bleeding wound will decrease bleeding tokens. Perhaps the audience will throw you a rag in a pinch. You can also tend to each other.

1.12 - Arena Dining
If you find safe food, you can improve your nourishment score by 1 stage for the rest of battle; more food won't make it go up more. This won't make up for months of undernourishment, so this is a temporary buff.

1.13 - Reading Opponents (..literally)
While players change position for free at the start of the turn, the opposition will only change position at at the end of the turn, so you will always know if they are able to flank. They may also have 'tells' for their upcoming actions. Try to discern their temperament to predict their behavior on future turns, then make a plan to use their habits to your advantage.
Note: See Damage Types in the Roll Modifiers spoiler for more tactical incentives.

Spoiler: Roll to Dodge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Roll Modifiers (click to show/hide)

TL;DR
- A single 2d6 'Roll to Dodge' now (instead of 2d6 vs 2d6). Missing attacks gives smaller penalties to favor more aggressive gameplay.
- Light Weapons are easier to hit with, using Agility. Heavy Weapons can hit harder, using Strength. Various other gear modifiers.
- Slice, Stab, and Blunt attack action traits added.

Note: I have decided to limit it to 1 booked fight per outing, for a more standardized player commitment. I have gone back and renamed this 'Chapter 1: Battle', with 'Chapter 1: Prepare' being the first half of the chapter. Re/sign-ups will only be between chapters. The rewards for completing this hunt have been doubled to compensate this change.

To promote discussion and cooperation, and accommodate mixed availability, actions will be locked-in only after at least 7 days have passed. Relax. Please make a new post when changing your action. If everyone who submitted an action last turn, did so again, the manager can lock-in actions early.

(Aside: 15 updates is typically the length of a full game I shoot for so seeing that little one-five down there...it feels pretty damn good. This update standardizes a lot of stuff I was winging-it on, and frankly, stressing over. Thanks for your patience. As far as Bulk, Horizon has a history of dipping out from time to time, I'm sure we all miss the lovable cannibal. If he comes back, he'll be welcomed. I hope everyone found atleast 1 thing they liked in this update. Maybe just that it happened lol)

The hunt continues!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 05:49:52 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gladiator Manager - Chapter 1: Battle (Re-Opened)
« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2022, 11:31:57 am »

()
             //
          o====o

//
          //
       __//_
,,,_,(   5   ),
@}ڿڰۣ—
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 09:19:04 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 05, 2022, 01:01:00 pm »

get out of the way.  set gender to male
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2022, 02:29:37 am »

When I see an opening rush Raptor 2 and start stabbing it.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2022, 01:28:30 am »

Gunna wait 1 more week. Thanks.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2022, 01:29:04 am »

Ah crap, I was gonna post about how I'm too busy and checks Bay12forum too infrequently to keep up, then I was too busy and checked Bay12forum too infrequently to post that. Anyways, please replace me.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18