Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: GLADIATOR MANAGER  (Read 30445 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gladiator Manager
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2022, 10:59:58 pm »

((Here's my real thoughts. Was this a mistake on my part? Not really...I said first fight, and this is certainly that, but there's some maybe roleplaying oversight or something in regards to time passing. Let me say this, I have, and will make larger, more obvious mistakes. Usually, unless it doesn't require changing my written story or gameplay plans, I'm going to let my mistakes stand. Remember, mistakes are not always negative, there is no NPC that can lawyer how an error I made makes things more difficult. There's also the matter of severity of the mistake. There is very little here. The wood weapons, without training, are no more effective than unarmed combat. There is maybe some different roleplay potential, and there wont be an opportunity to gain technique with them at the end. If you are still unsatisfied, I encourage you to pursue the matter (in game), in addition to your tokens, you can send your assistant to run errands, and make use of your other servants. You can also speak to the elves. Roleplay, mistakes are a part of any meaningful story.))
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2022, 05:37:20 pm »

((I am really not out to destroy players no, and it's pretty unfair and unfun for me, if there is an expectation to rerwite an update for something like this. I do respect your character work, I understand you feel this is out of character to fight the gladiators with, no swords. I'm literally writing this moments after waking up, because I do care that much. Respect is earned, and this our first time playing together...give me a chance to earn yours. You already have mine, even if I don't bend over backwards to give it to you in the form you think I should. A peace offering, my plan was to have Scintilla be shocked the elves didn't wait. Wait for your sculptor to drop of the swords. You still wont get them in the battle, but your character isn't forced to behave in a way you didn't want.))
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2022, 06:39:51 pm »

((or don't. You have an important role in this game, but you shouldn't have to play any game you aren't having fun with. If you think my style is unfair, then that's information you didn't have when you signed up. Things have changed, so I'd understand if you wanted to quit. I can have Scintilla be an NPC until after the raptor battle, then see if someone else wants to take over. I don't feel like this is unfair gameplay consequence for a gameplay mistake. You can probably expect similar minded decisons in the future.))

But yeah, I get it.  No swords.
I'm going to assume you're on board.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 06:41:43 pm by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2022, 11:36:52 pm »

((My comment isn't just about the swords; it's about the broad game design.  You've chosen to design a difficult game where the players are a notable disadvantage, with a lot of penalties and problems to deal with.  The statement that the swords are functionally useless, as well as the apparent fact that there were apparently no good options for fights to take, pushed that over the line from "hard game" to "brutal game".  Your response amounting to "you made a mistake, so now you have to deal with it" didn't help.  That's not an inspiring GM style.  I could go into more detail--I'd love to, honestly--but I'm not in the right state of mind to do that fairly.
Please say you made poor design decisions because of "realism", I love that one
Generally, I'm okay with brutal games, though I still don't think they're good games.  In this case, I particularly dislike it because my mistakes here harm other people more than me.  I'm also upset over some IRL stuff that has nothing to do with this, which has me on a short fuse.  In any case, yeah, I know how this works, I've played enough of this kinda game.  I'll try my best to deal with it.))

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2022, 12:42:01 am »

I do prefer, if my hand is forced, to lean towards too hard than too easy. But let's take a look at my "brutal game", so far:

2 player kos (unconcious)
0 deaths
0 dismemberments
0 scars

Now, I'm not gunna pretend it is turkeies hiding in those bushes, it's not, and if there is not more application of the systems than the tutorial fight, people will probably die.

But this is very much a beginner fight. (I might be eating my words/those stats may look different after some bad rolls, but let's just see.)

In this case, I particularly dislike it because my mistakes here harm other people more than me.
Exactly!

That's thinking like a Manager.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:45:29 am by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2022, 08:59:29 pm »

Turns will be locked in soon.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2022, 10:04:41 am »

Chapter 1 <BATTLE}---
(We've come a long way from poo-buckets! ...or have we?)

▼▼▼▼▼

Fixated amber eyes fill the void between jungle leaves, the breathing is repressed but there is a sinister rattle. Then, there is nothing.

Mosquitos bombard Bulk the giant and Ohwell the adolescent human boy as they absent mindedly bat them away. Stepping out of the shadow of the watchtower is the old man. The Peregrinate Pontiff, Poltroon Vastan rubs sweat from the top of his bald head. "Seems like we should stick together." His short dwarven legs carry him from side to side as he scans for a branch to use as a weapon. One of the elves, Grindak, follows the mustached baldy. The other elf moves passed The Grand Vizier of Horripilation, Nyarlathotep von Dracula, and takes in a breath of fresh air enthusiastically. "FORTUNE FAVORS THE BOLD HEHE!" The plump gremlin rolls their eyes and beckons others to come too, before turning to chase after Scrambles into the southern brush. The hypnotic song of the cicadas remains.

From the watchtower, Scintilla's eyes grow wide. "Erm. Weren't the glads supposed to be given wooden swords?" She whispers to the warden.
"They never arrived."
She turns and whispers to her assistant, with a pained look. "I don't think I would have sent the glads in without weapons. The swords being ready was very specifically what tipped me over into taking the gamble on the raptors, because otherwise it's too dangerous to be a good bet."
Hearing the shock of some of the other spectators, Scintilla glares at the warden. "You're not really interested in people having fun in your games, are you?  But yeah, I get it.  No swords."
The warden scratches their chin, then pulls out a crude knife from a sheath and holds it up for the others to see, before tossing it below, for which he gets an applaud.

At the foot of the tower, no one has found a branch, but Grindak has found a head-sized rock and collected some grass to weave into a rope. Then a few paces away, a crude knife lands in the meadow lawn with a thud.

--

(North Jungle)

( -- -- -- -- -- )
( -- -- -- -- -- )
( ~~ ~~ ?? ~~ ~~ )
( -- -- -- -- -- )
( -- -- -- -- -- )

(West Jungle) ,,Central Meadow,, (East Jungle)

( -- -- -- -- -- ) -- -- -- -- -- ( -- -- -- -- -- )
( -- -- -- -- -- ) -- -- -- -- -- ( -- -- -- -- -- )
( ~~ ~~ ?? ~~ ~~ ) ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ( ~~ ~~ ?? ~~ ~~ )
( -- -- -- -- -- ) -- PV GK -- -- ( -- -- -- -- -- )
( -- -- -- -- -- ) -- BK OW -- -- ( -- -- -- -- -- )

(South Jungle)

( -- -- -- -- -- )
( -- -- R1 -- -- )
( ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ )
( -- -- SB ND -- )
( -- -- -- -- -- )

--

Scrambles stumbles over a branch and the gremlin helps him up. The fleet-footed elf is about to dash again when he notices Nyarlathotep stuttering to say something, and turns to see the dark creature with glowing yellow eyes. It screams and runs at him with rows of teeth, and extended claws! "RAPTOR!"

▲▲▲▲▲

Spoiler: Injuries (click to show/hide)

Gladiator Manager

Manager Puppeteering
Spending Tokens is possible, however at high-brow events you had better do so subtly, or be disqualified...or worse. in addition to your tokens, you can send your assistant to run errands, and make use of your other servants. You can also speak to the patron and staff. Roleplay! If you want, you can cancel the fight at any time. If you retreat from a fight the patron will usually refund the entry fee if your team fought well.

Manager Orders
You can bark commands for your gladiators, though they may have other ideas how to protect their life. Talking to your gladiators will make humanoids aware of your plans, and reveal their location to intelligent animals. All discussion of strategy with the gladiators must remain in-thread.

Watchtower
You can choose a direction to scan, you will see all concealed animals in that area, via PM.

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Gladiators

Formation (Revised)
A Formation is the way each team is arranged. Typically there are 5 columns on the battlefield, and 2 rows per team---each team's front and back. You cannot attack the enemy's Back Row, but the enemy's Front Row can be attacked by anyone. Both teams form a Dynamic Front. If you have no teammates in front of you, you will be repositioned at the front of your column. If your column is unopposed on the enemy team, both your front and rear teammates have Flanking and can attack any back row enemies. You can Change Position for free, doing so does not count as your action, and resolves before everyone's actions. Please make it clear you want to change position, and that your movements are not flavortext, for me to acknowledge it. Otherwise you'll return to your former position after your action. Use key phrases like "I move in front of player" or behind, or which enemy to get in front of, or who to move left or right of. You can refer to the columns by number 1 to 5 from left to right. If you move infront of someone they will be sent back. Players that are skipped or incapacitated will be sent to the back if able.

Note: I decided positioning roll modifiers are too trivial, and they have all been removed. Instead attacking Rear targets is now prevented, for more meaningful defensive tactics.

Action
Try to attack or defend, you can use punches, kicks, or anything you could reasonably do. This is the fight of your life! Turn order will be determined by the Agility TRAIT. I use two 6-sided dice for action rolls. Attacks and Contested Actions versus an enemy may apply any of each other's relevant TRAITS. Uncontested Actions may also apply TRAITS and will be versus a default human, with a Difficulty Modifier of increasing positive or negative modifiers for very easy-but nontrivial, to very hard-but possible feats. Critical Rolls of 2 and 12 will ignore modifiers. When someone gets an attack roll of 5 or less, they are at Defensive Disadvantage. The worse you fail, the bigger the opening. Most defensive, silly, or passive actions will simply give you a Defensive Advantage of -1 on an enemy attack. Defensive advantage/disadvantage will be applied to the first attack on you, or dissipate when your turn comes around again. Actions with more than one distinct act involved may be broken down into multiple Subaction rolls. It's harder the more other things you try to do. A penalty of -1 for each subaction will stack on all subactions. "If/than" statements will be subactions, even if they don't activate. A failed subaction will cause child actions to be cancelled. Picking up an Item is a free trivial action, though if the item is contested the conflict could interrupt other subactions.

The hunt continues!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 05:22:58 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2022, 10:05:21 am »

(✿◠‿◠)

(⌐✿■‿■) *serious game master noises*

Aside: Sorry for the info dump! It's mostly review and I want to get it ready for OP. Some math has been revised, simplified, and clarified. I'll lock the thread sometime Tuesday.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2022, 05:07:11 pm »

"CANT CATCH ME IM AS FREE AS A BIRD!"

Run circles around the raptor and attack it when it least expects it!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 12:16:52 am by Fluffe9911 »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2022, 11:16:08 pm »

Assuming that Scrambles is trying to Flank the Raptor 1, which I will mentally refer to as Fluffles, Nyarlathothep von Dracula will Get in Front of Fluffles and Defend while Scrambles is hopefully attacking.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2022, 02:03:09 am »

"I just heard something fall from above, gonna go see what it was."
Go over and grab the knife.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2022, 04:32:17 am »

Damn mosquitoes! *bat!* What are we doing here in the jungle!? I thought we were supposed to be fighting in the ring. *Bat!* This is horrible, and we don't even get any kind of weapons!? I hate being a slave!

I turn towards the south jungle as I hear someone yelling "RAPTOR!" Oh great.

Try to find a sturdy stick with which to defend myself, and stealthily approach the beast from behind. If there is an opening, try to whack it with the stick (or if I don't have a stick, try to kick it).

Try to find a sturdy stick with which to defend myself as I begin heading towards the sound of the yell, staying alert and taking caution in every step.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 05:52:23 am by MeimieFan88 »
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2022, 05:16:29 am »

Assuming that Scrambles is trying to Flank the Raptor 1, which I will mentally refer to as Fluffles, Nyarlathothep von Dracula will Get in Front of Fluffles and Defend while Scrambles is hopefully attacking.
Flanking doesn't really matter if no enemies are in the back row, so it's just flavor in this context. There's no other enemies in front of Fluffles guarding, that need to be 'Flanked'...yet.

Damn mosquitoes! *bat!* What are we doing here in the jungle!? I thought we were supposed to be fighting in the ring. *Bat!* This is horrible, and we don't even get any kind of weapons!? I hate being a slave!

I turn towards the south jungle as I hear someone yelling "RAPTOR!" Oh great.

Try to find a sturdy stick with which to defend myself, and stealthily approach the beast from behind. If there is an opening, try to whack it with the stick (or if I don't have a stick, try to kick it).
I feel I must clarify, picking up items is a free action only if you don't first need to perform a search, like the knife. Changing area is a whole action. So currently you'd just perform a search!
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2022, 05:52:38 am »

I feel I must clarify, picking up items is a free action only if you don't first need to perform a search, like the knife. Changing area is a whole action. So currently you'd just perform a search!
Okay, I will just perform the search then. Action edited.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18