Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: The Big Random Questions Thread  (Read 16041 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Random Questions Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2022, 05:36:18 am »

How will the AI turn itself on again after its turned itself off to reboot after it inevitably bugs itself? It can't skip step one on the troubleshooting guide
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2022, 06:40:44 am »

I'm still trying to figure out why there is a preponderance of unfounded certainty that "AI" will be a disaster, instead of a boon? Is this just human experience bias? What if AI turns out to be the Benevolent Dictator that saves everyone?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2022, 07:33:32 am »

I'm still trying to figure out why there is a preponderance of unfounded certainty that "AI" will be a disaster, instead of a boon?
Maybe someone saw Terminator, read I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and thought about Roko’s Basilisk all in one night
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2022, 10:17:04 am »

I'm still trying to figure out why there is a preponderance of unfounded certainty that "AI" will be a disaster, instead of a boon?
Maybe someone saw Terminator, read I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and thought about Roko’s Basilisk all in one night

And you let in The Basilisk here by saying its name. Congrats. It got what it wanted.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2022, 03:53:30 am »

From what I figure is AI will be ether incredibly useful or just an expensive toy.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2022, 09:25:14 am »

That AI China's been developing has me worried fr.

TikTok central algorithm?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2022, 03:40:56 am »

What's scary about an AI China's trying to make?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2022, 01:01:43 pm »

China is a large economy with all of the worlds financial, material and scientific resources at its hand. Combining that with the uni-polar moral compass of China which points to Xi Jinping at all times, you have a recipe for an utterly horrifying monstrosity that will make CIA's global spying to a mere peeping tom issue.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 01:04:29 pm by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2022, 01:16:25 pm »

I'm still trying to figure out why there is a preponderance of unfounded certainty that "AI" will be a disaster, instead of a boon? Is this just human experience bias? What if AI turns out to be the Benevolent Dictator that saves everyone?
There's a tremendously tilted representation of AI in fiction towards AI as a disaster. There's exceptions, but just about every major/notable representation of AI in literature or film has it as a great adversary.

As to the why of it, *shrugs* Hell if I know. Probably has something to do with a fear of having made something "better" than us, with an eye towards what we've traditionally done to beings (considered, if not necessary in reality) of lesser capacity.

It's, uh. Not a pretty picture, what we've trended towards doing towards humans or non-humans of that nature. Extrapolating out that something with superior capacities of one sort or another would be "Us, but more", with exactly what entails, isn't entirely unreasonable... especially considering we'd be the ones making it to begin with.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2022, 01:40:58 pm »

Tbh it's the same reason the star trek holodeck evidently has a 50% chance to malfunction and murder somebody.  It's more interesting as a plot.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2022, 01:01:56 am »

China is a large economy with all of the worlds financial, material and scientific resources at its hand. Combining that with the uni-polar moral compass of China which points to Xi Jinping at all times, you have a recipe for an utterly horrifying monstrosity that will make CIA's global spying to a mere peeping tom issue.
I'm sure we'll be fine, and we should just except our new Chinese Robot overlords.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2022, 08:30:29 pm »

AI, even if designed to run a capitalist society, would be preferential because it would be evidenced-based at least. We'd be working 35 hour work weeks or less, because that's peak efficiency.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2022, 11:03:57 pm »

Ah, I was wondering if/where to post the article about a Chinese Tech Company making an AI their CEO
Frankly, the whole thing reads as a publicity stunt.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2022, 01:10:56 am »

Seems like most things people make a big deal about ends up being a publicity stunt now days.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2022, 01:34:41 am »

Ah, I was wondering if/where to post the article about a Chinese Tech Company making an AI their CEO
Frankly, the whole thing reads as a publicity stunt.

Best case, it's publicity. Quite likely that was either a way to dodge some legal trouble, or is an active scam that they're running.

Though, this quote is pretty promising about reducing their employee's work-time:
Dr. Dejian Liu, chairman of Netdragon, said, “We believe AI is the future of corporate management, and our appointment of Ms. Tang Yu represents our commitment to truly embrace the use of AI to transform the way we operate our business, and ultimately drive our future strategic growth."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21