Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: The Big Random Questions Thread  (Read 15997 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Random Questions Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2022, 08:20:21 am »

What would happen if there was a worldwide string of mass jailbreaks?

A lot of people would go see family members and it'd probably be pretty sweet for a day or two. Of course some people would seek out grudges, or return to some illegal habits.

Best case scenario it teaches the world to rethink penal systems.

If they don't return to a life of crime after getting out then there's no need to rethink anything: that means the system worked.
Almost... It means that many of the people didn't need to be held, perhaps due to rehabilitation, but continued to be held. I'm not expecting parole boards to be perfect here, but I also wouldn't say "The positive results of removing the system demonstrate that the system was positive"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2022, 09:57:25 am »

You aren't removing the system: they broke out. It only demonstrates that it has worked whether as rehabilitation or discouragement. Before, he committed crime, afterwards, he does not. The penalty is the factor in between.

Realistically, massive manhunts everywhere, and a massive amount of people willing to do questionable things not to get manhunted.

Every country ends up with areas controlled by de facto warlords?

No. There are more criminals outside of prison at any point than there is inside. If that was enough to somehow turn society into cartoon warlordocracy that would already have happened.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2022, 01:57:38 pm »

I do agree that it indicates that the system rehabilitated people.  However, a theoretical system that rehabilitated 90% of inmates and never released any of them would be as useful as one that rehabilitated no-one.  Part of a useful rehabilitation is to release the person back into society.

Release carries a measure of risk, as all things do.  It's a lot of work to do accurately, but it's equally as important as the rehabilitation itself.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2022, 03:04:50 pm »

Realistically, massive manhunts everywhere, and a massive amount of people willing to do questionable things not to get manhunted.

Every country ends up with areas controlled by de facto warlords?

No. There are more criminals outside of prison at any point than there is inside. If that was enough to somehow turn society into cartoon warlordocracy that would already have happened.

With a active manhunt and a worldwide spook over escaped prisoners?

That's how you get properly coordinated, motivated armies of jailbreakers.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2022, 11:13:52 pm »

...this is stupid

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2022, 04:32:15 am »

From what I've read the criminals that try to and sometimes succeed in escaping are the violent ones, you know the kind that need to stay in jail so they don't keep raping and murdering.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2022, 08:51:33 am »

...this is stupid

Why?

Mate, we have shit like this in the world today. https://twitter.com/Galactic_Trader/status/1579336741282275330

Literally airdropped armed robot dogs. I don't know about you but I'm not so sure prisons are going to hold up.
Reading a thinner book

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2022, 09:42:09 am »

Why?
I'm not so sure prisons are going to hold up.
It's alarmist nonsense. And I'm not even sure about the alarmist part.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2022, 11:04:34 am »

Why are you all so convinced the 21st century is going to be entirely normal?

And IL Palazzo, I'm impressed by your ability to miss out the middle bit about the fucking airdropped armed robot dogs which was driving my concern. If you don't buy the video, read an article. https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/03/spot-the-robot-dog-has-been-weaponised/. If you don't believe the article, look at Spot yourself and see if it's so hard to believe.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 11:10:38 am by Scoops Novel »
Reading a thinner book

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2022, 11:37:58 am »

The vast, vast, vast majority of people in prison are non-violent.

Edit: rather, imprisoned for non-violent crimes.

Edit 2: even then, there are an estimated 11.5 million people in prison in the world, including detention centers like the Uighur camps in China.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 11:51:03 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2022, 11:34:48 pm »

From what I've read the criminals that try to and sometimes succeed in escaping are the violent ones, you know the kind that need to stay in jail so they don't keep raping and murdering.
Ideally, the only ones with prison sentences so long that it's worth escaping and getting MORE time are the ones serving the long sentences for rape and murder, and NOT the theft/drug offenders who can just wait out clock.

And IL Palazzo, I'm impressed by your ability to miss out the middle bit about the fucking airdropped armed robot dogs which was driving my concern. If you don't buy the video, read an article. https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/03/spot-the-robot-dog-has-been-weaponised/. If you don't believe the article, look at Spot yourself and see if it's so hard to believe.

Again, this is stupid. I knew we were going to have armed robotic combatants about 5 years ago.
 I also generally don't do Twitter. Maybe you should stay off it too? It's designed to hurt your mental health. They WANT you scared, stirred up, and unfocused. It's how they keep exploiting people! The less people focused people are, the easier they are to control. I'm glad you're actually trying to think, unlike the mass of people that want The News to tell them what to think, but remember that Fear is The Mind Killer.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2022, 05:10:40 am »

Novel I'm not sure how you can take anything like that on Twitter seriously, also war robots are inevitable as if something can be weaponized it will be.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2022, 07:38:09 am »

All the centuries so far has been.

The vast, vast, vast majority of people in prison are non-violent.

Edit: rather, imprisoned for non-violent crimes.

Look at what these people get up to when left unwatched

Complete pandemonium
Love, scriver~

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2022, 04:22:24 pm »

I agree that it has no guarantee of happening, it's just a possibility.

But mate... at a certain point "all the centuries before" didn't have man-made fire. All this media we make these days is partly preparation for just how weird things could get.
Reading a thinner book

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2022, 04:37:28 pm »

'Everything is possible therefore this thing is probable' is not a valid line of reasoning. It's Ancient Aliens-level logic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21