Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: The Big Random Questions Thread  (Read 16030 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Random Questions Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2022, 02:04:39 am »

...if an AI detects that it only has 10 employees available for a project due in one week, and estimates the project will take 500 person hours to complete, it'll make the same shitty decision any human boss would make: Mandatory Overtime.

I'm reminded that AI's are basically mathematical formulas, and produce shitty results based upon shitty inputs.

Don't expect AIs to value employees, since those responsible for programming them and their customers don't value employees.

The few AI programs that I have heard about have actually been highly prejudiced because they're based upon prejudiced inputs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2022, 02:10:21 am »

Yeah AI tend to take the biases of the people that program them, or are otherwise inputting information, so they’re not “objective”.

I don’t know if there are ways to limit that, but I can’t imagine it could be eliminated completely.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2022, 03:02:58 am »

An AI made by a large corporation to do corporate things will probably always do things the corporate way.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2022, 09:48:06 am »

I disagree.  I think most people have seen plenty of pointless ego-projects come down from upper management.  Sometimes the bigwigs just need to push people around, or justify their inflated salaries to their peers and board, so they order SOMETHING, ANYTHING to be done.  Busywork or, worse yet, teambuilding exercises.  I'm kinda joking around, but I do thing there's a lot of personal ego involved.

A more concrete example (in that there are many articles about it) is how corporate has been forcing employees back into their cubicles post-lockdowns, regardless of whether working from home was any less efficient.  It's ego masked in tradition.

But yes, the goals of a program depend on the programmer.  I'm sure most executives wouldn't balk at telling a program to crush employee egos at a precise level in order to keep them "in line".  I also think a lot of (lower) management would find that idea abhorrent.  I've had a good team leader, and most of his job was deflecting the crap corporate was throwing at us (a skill I assumed he learned as an officer in the Marines).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2022, 06:20:41 pm »

It also depends on the task an AI is given. I'm assuming the question is 'how do we be most productive this year' which humans will always fuck up the answer to. If it's like EJ's example: 'how do we reachbour deadline this week', then yeah, it's just going to be a calculator dividing hours and workers.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2022, 05:05:05 pm »

I am having thoughts about the forum games I've ran throught my time here.

Insula Numine was good because it organically grew its own setting by player input, and died because there were no real stakes for the players to overcome.

Competitive Evolution, both season one and two lived as long as they did because of their simplistic, vote-to-have-it formula and again, their setting establishing itself by player output, and died because, again, there were no real stakes.

The Spiral was stillborn. It never took off.

World of Competition and The Galaxy of Gray, two very different games with little to no similarities, were both successful in their unique and fantastical premises, and were both crushed under their own realistic complexities.

The Skyscraper RTD's plot stalled for too long. It wasn't meant to be that way, really.

Smol Evolution was an upgraded version of the World of Competition. It was too complex for me to articulate its workings. The entire thing was a giant miscommunication that fizzled out shortly after it conception.

So...

What is it with them? What kinds of features could've had them last to their natural ends?

What does a successful game Mafia has that allows it to finish itself? The suspense? The interactiveness?

What makes a forum game successful?

And is there a way to get it just right?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:08:45 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2022, 03:15:03 am »

I'd assume it's having an actual end point in mind rather then hoping to find one as you go.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2022, 05:38:15 pm »

What I consider to be the best forum games do NOT have an actual end point.  They're the Neverending Story, that more fade away rather than definitely end.

Audience engagement is key.  The players must somehow be vested in the game.

Creativity seems to be the truly scarce resource. It's best if the GM has a lot of ideas thought out before the game starts, so things don't stall as the GM thinks of what they want to do next.

Forum mafia is just one sort of forum game.  There are certainly others.

The best GMs are flexible.  If they plan on a game going in one direction, but their players want to go somewhere else, whatever. Sometimes the tangents are more interesting than the original goals.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2022, 11:06:26 am »

What would happen if there was a worldwide string of mass jailbreaks?

Let's say drones or something make it easy.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2022, 11:07:27 pm »

Let's say drones or something make it easy.
Massively underfunding jails also makes it easy.
Always look for the cheapest possible option, and you'll find that thing closest to reality.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2022, 12:53:50 am »

A lot of people would go see family members and it'd probably be pretty sweet for a day or two. Of course some people would seek out grudges, or return to some illegal habits.

Best case scenario it teaches the world to rethink penal systems.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2022, 01:55:11 am »

It's all fun and games until the rapists start raping and the murders start murdering again.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2022, 04:47:33 am »

It's all fun and games until the rapists start raping and the murders start murdering again.

Yea... that. Right.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2022, 05:28:05 am »

A lot of people would go see family members and it'd probably be pretty sweet for a day or two. Of course some people would seek out grudges, or return to some illegal habits.

Best case scenario it teaches the world to rethink penal systems.

If they don't return to a life of crime after getting out then there's no need to rethink anything: that means the system worked.
Love, scriver~

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2022, 07:49:44 am »

Realistically, massive manhunts everywhere, and a massive amount of people willing to do questionable things not to get manhunted.

Every country ends up with areas controlled by de facto warlords?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21