Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Experimentation with the outcast population bug  (Read 1723 times)

Madde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Experimentation with the outcast population bug
« on: January 24, 2022, 04:26:51 pm »

As you might have noticed if you use legends viewer a lot (or conduct raids, or play Adventurer mode), the villains update brought with itself a whole new array of irritating bugs; almost every visitor is part of a conspiracy, and site populations get bloated with outcasts that eventually outnumber regular citizens in a civilization. I don't know how much other people care about this stuff, but I like generating long history worlds and then not have my computer melt when I enter a human town because of "outcasts" that, according to other players' experiences, don't even exist in the game world and vanish from the site populations once you visit the site in Adv mode.

After messing around with the various site types, site caps and even modifying every entity so that they spawn a single site and never expand, I have come to the conclusion that historical figures just spam schemes and criminal organizations like there's no tomorrow, and there is no cap to the population of a criminal organization, causing a bizzare feedback loop. Normal citizens turn into outlaws, and since outlaws don't count for site population limits, the site replenishes its population and reaches the cap once again. Then, the outlaw entity absorbs more citizens, and the cycle repeats until you end world-gen.

If you don't want to wait for the next update and this bothers you, then the most convenient solution is to change the 'Population Cap After Civ Creation' value to a number much lower than the default in Advanced World Generation. This setting is not a hard cap on civ population, in fact I don't know what it even does exactly. Human cities will still boast sizable populations if you let time pass, wars and sieges will still occur just fine, and world-gen doesn't slow down to a crawl after a few hundred years.

As an example, the default value for 'Pop Cap After Civ Creation' on a medium region is really high (5000 IIRC, but maybe even more). With that setting, human outlaws start to outnumber regular denizens in Hamlet sites by around year 300. With the value set to 100, history generation is much faster and outlaws no longer make up over half of the world's population, not to mention that civilized populations also stay at much more manageable levels. I recommend changing the value incrementally, a value of 100 might be too low for you if you have lots of titans/megabeasts/necroes.

If this solution has already been discussed on these forums, then I'm sorry. I suck at finding old threads.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 04:34:43 pm by Madde »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimentation with the outcast population bug
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 07:03:26 am »

Hmm. not commonly discussed, for sure, but I imagine some of the regulars to have experimented with this setting. I will have to try this as the slowdown is very much annoying.

the greatest motivating factor for lengthy worldgen, for me, remains the creation of epic legends mode stories. also to see a fully grown dragon attack in fortress mode! Not one of puny, 250 year old juveniles.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 10:12:13 am »

Oh, that's the primary cause of the slowdown/eventual worldgen crashes? That would explain it!

Ideally with it being fixed it would also make the world less prone to complete and utter collapse due to an overwhelming number of necromancers every single worldgen sufficiently long.

Madde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 04:50:06 pm »

Oh, that's the primary cause of the slowdown/eventual worldgen crashes? That would explain it!

I don't think crashes can be attributed to a single definite cause, but yeah the more histfigs the world needs to simulate, the slower the game gets.

Also, I just saw that the wiki explains how the 'Population Cap After Civ Creation' setting works. It is a cap on the amount of living histfigs on a per civilization basis, so if you use a value like 200 and have 10 individual civilizations, the number of living historical figures will amount to around 2000 when you end worldgen, give or take. I think that is still a sufficient number for interesting histories and events to take place. It seems like the outcast populations still get out of hand at around 800 years, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Additionally, it lets me generate 1000 years of history (160 site cap, medium island preset) in a single minute, which is quite impressive.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 04:52:30 pm by Madde »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 06:45:02 pm »

This thread has more information and science on this topic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148982.0
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.