Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adventure hide out?  (Read 2253 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Adventure hide out?
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

Iv been playing an adventurer for some time now...terrorizing humans in the south and trading them their dead cousins weapons in the north...Collecting heads and corspes and intresting items...I have this "large tanzanite" (what ever that is) covered in demon goo I value alot. Also have three arrows stuck in various limbs...One inside my eye socket poking my brain... All my little momentos...The problem with this is...The heads are geting heavy...So is my other loot...Where can I stash this stuff so it dosnt get moved/destroyed or what ever.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure hide out?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

From what I hear you can buy a backpack, stick all your loot into the new backpack, and then drop the backpack.  I haven't tried it myself, though.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

Buy a back pack? haha... Im one of the "evil" adventurers... If we find somthign we like in the shop we cut off the shop owners head and take it...I could do that..But it would move around. I want somthing that will stay there...

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

The backpack will still be randomly moved to another location on the local map when you leave. The urban legend is if you leave it in a tavern/mayor's office (same building) it won't go anywhere. Try this with a junk item first, though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

Good and evil are always done wrong in video games.  As Yahtzee once said, you always have to pick between Mother Teresa and baby eating, and can never get something in between, and then showed Mother Teresa eating a baby.

It's the same thing here, just because you're evil doesn't mean you slaughter people mindlessly.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Muffles ]

Shoes...

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

Well babys are delicious..Does burning the bodys of any animals I kill and puting a single coin on their body(you know to pay for their boat ride across the river styx) count as a good deed?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JoRo:
<STRONG>From what I hear you can buy a backpack, stick all your loot into the new backpack, and then drop the backpack.  I haven't tried it myself, though.</STRONG>

You have to drop it in a tavern.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

Sigh...None of it matters now..I accedently droped my realy nice dagger some where...So I lit myself on fire and took on somthing like 20 peasants at once..Killed most of them before I bled to death....All the ones left are realy maimed..all exept one who was twisting the arrow around in my head..bastard..I miss my dagger ;_;

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 02:44:00 am »

Well, Mother Theresa was kinda evil, too.  There's the veneer we all know about, which is the loving, caring and gold-hearted old woman, and then there's the sadomasochistic monster we don't all know about.  

There are some interesting things a person can research in this world.

Fenrir

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

In Dwarf Fortress, good and evil goes as far as "We're the good guys, because we kill bad guys." and "We're the bad guys, because we kill good guys." Toady will probably flesh this out later.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

Well, this is a fantasy game, so my opinion of such things doesn't really hold.  The way I see it, good and evil are in the eye of the beholder.  "I am me, and therefore you are evil" is how people tend to actually think.

So you command a legion of necromancers out in the blistering deserts, raising shambling dead minions to do your dirty work.  The neighbouring town of upstanding and faithful citizens finds these acts distasteful, and so condemns the necromancers as evil.

Let's look at this from a different point of view.  The necromancers are dignified and disciplined scholars who have tasked themselves with containing an ancient demon underneath the sands, since they are the only ones powerful enough (with their necromantic arts) to hold him chained.  The walking dead are those members who have shuffled off the mortal coil, and with their dying breath know with pride that not even death will prevent their service to the living realm.

The neighbouring town, on the other hand, is stocked with people who would stab each other in the back if it meant their own gain, and fanatic zealots who preach raving lunacy to the crowd below, inciting them to attack and destroy the zealot's gods, whoever they may be.  

At first glance, the line is clear between good and evil.  Look closer, and you find that the line fades, blurs, and then vanishes.  Both sides are good and evil in their own ways.  It is only perception that defines morality.

Fenrir

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Well, this is a fantasy game, so my opinion of such things doesn't really hold.  The way I see it, good and evil are in the eye of the beholder.  "I am me, and therefore you are evil" is how people tend to actually think.

So you command a legion of necromancers out in the blistering deserts, raising shambling dead minions to do your dirty work.  The neighbouring town of upstanding and faithful citizens finds these acts distasteful, and so condemns the necromancers as evil.

Let's look at this from a different point of view.  The necromancers are dignified and disciplined scholars who have tasked themselves with containing an ancient demon underneath the sands, since they are the only ones powerful enough (with their necromantic arts) to hold him chained.  The walking dead are those members who have shuffled off the mortal coil, and with their dying breath know with pride that not even death will prevent their service to the living realm.

The neighbouring town, on the other hand, is stocked with people who would stab each other in the back if it meant their own gain, and fanatic zealots who preach raving lunacy to the crowd below, inciting them to attack and destroy the zealot's gods, whoever they may be.  

At first glance, the line is clear between good and evil.  Look closer, and you find that the line fades, blurs, and then vanishes.  Both sides are good and evil in their own ways.  It is only perception that defines morality.</STRONG>

Yeah, I agree that's the way it should be, but right now it's not like that. Good and evil are there only to make something attack the player and add some challenge to the game. Perhaps we'll se this sorted by the end of the Army Arc.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

quote:
Yeah, I agree that's the way it should be, but right now it's not like that. Good and evil are there only to make something attack the player and add some challenge to the game. Perhaps we'll se this sorted by the end of the Army Arc.

So when diplomacy is in it might even be possible for Dwarves and Goblins to ally together and defend their mountain homes from bands of raiding elves? Cool!  :D

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Well, this is a fantasy game, so my opinion of such things doesn't really hold.  The way I see it, good and evil are in the eye of the beholder.  "I am me, and therefore you are evil" is how people tend to actually think.

At first glance, the line is clear between good and evil.  Look closer, and you find that the line fades, blurs, and then vanishes.  Both sides are good and evil in their own ways.  It is only perception that defines morality.</STRONG>

It didn't blur for me, They just switched.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »

He has a point, I know and understand what you're trying to say, but that example was too cut-and-dry.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2