Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Discussion on Word/Letter Games  (Read 16259 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on Word/Letter Games
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2022, 08:13:12 am »

So I decided to kick around the Wordle (NYT version, valid as of posting time) answer list to see check the parameters for words, and...

Spoiler: "On plurals." (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "On vowels." (click to show/hide)

If anybody's wondering about something specific, let me know and I can check.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2022, 10:23:24 pm »

Not sure if this one counts or not, because it uses pictures instead of letters.

https://www.dungleon.com/
Ooh, they added dark mode.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile,
Wordle 252 5/6
🟪🟨🟨🟪🟪
🟩🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟩🟨🟩🟪🟪
🟪🟪🟩🟪🟪
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 10:43:25 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2022, 10:11:58 am »

Despite the answer for the first puzzle I did being "Aboot", Canuckle is pretty informative and interesting. Knowledge of Canada probably helps a lot, because these are not all words most people would be familiar with (case in point: today's answer), even if most are words you might know with a different meaning (falls, a thing you can do and Falls, referring to Niagara Falls). There are also plurals allowed for some of the words.

Canuckle 18 4/6

⬜🟥⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟥⬜🟨🟥
🟨🟥🟨⬜🟥
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥

Yeah, I've used that word as well. I'm pretty sure there is a dictionary of words it will accept that is separate from the word list, but I don't know how they decide what is/isn't an acceptable puzzle answer. Twerk also works.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2022, 03:07:51 pm »

Canuckle 24 3/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨🟥
🟥🟥⬜⬜⬜
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥

Huh, that might be the best I've ever done in a wordle. The first two was mostly luck, and together gave me the position of 4/5 of the letters for the third, which resulted in a fairly easily victory after I made myself think for a bit.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2022, 04:15:58 pm »

Canuckle 24 3/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨🟥
🟥🟥⬜⬜⬜
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥

Huh, that might be the best I've ever done in a wordle. The first two was mostly luck, and together gave me the position of 4/5 of the letters for the third, which resulted in a fairly easily victory after I made myself think for a bit.

Aw, this one didn't have a nice little explanation of why they used that word. I also managed it in 3 after a lucky second word.

Canuckle 24 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟥🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥

Edit: Today did not go as smoothly. I had everything except the first letter figured out due to my lucky (ish, I'd eliminated most letters) 5th guess.
Canuckle 25 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟥
🟨⬜🟥⬜🟥
⬜⬜⬜🟥⬜
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:16:13 am by Iduno »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2022, 02:44:38 am »

Not sure if this one counts or not, because it uses pictures instead of letters.

https://www.dungleon.com/
Ooh, they added dark mode.
And now they've added an indicator for doing it the hard way.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2022, 10:33:18 pm »

HOOOOOOOOLY!

Canuckle 27 1/6

🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥

Octordle just doesn't seem to grip in the same way. Oh well. Got #43 in 11.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 11:32:08 pm by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2022, 10:59:39 am »

Welp, finally lost a round of Wordle. Though in my defense, a word pattern with more than 6 options really isn't fair. It becomes nothing but luck to figure out which one of the many words that it could be it actually is.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2022, 11:20:37 am »

Welp, finally lost a round of Wordle. Though in my defense, a word pattern with more than 6 options really isn't fair. It becomes nothing but luck to figure out which one of the many words that it could be it actually is.

Wordle 265 X/6

I hear ya. My 7th guess would have been wrong too, and there's at least two other words... Though one of them is fairly uncommon.

Edit: Aaaaand my sister looked at it and found another word at a glance. So there's at least 8 words that fit.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 12:59:49 pm by Aoi »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 11, 2022, 01:51:24 pm »

Isn't that why the original had a fairly limited list of words? And also had a person making sure it wasn't unreasonable.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2022, 08:47:32 pm »

There's "Footdle" if you're a FIFA game expert as you have to guess the player amongst the "top 300 rated players from the Top 5 Leagues on Fifa 22"
https://footdle.github.io/

fortunately the game gives you a lot of suggestions (but not enough for me :D )  when you start to type, giving you a chance when you don't know more than a few of those guys that are in that game top 300 :D

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2022, 09:26:19 pm »

Wordle 265 X/6

I hear ya. My 7th guess would have been wrong too, and there's at least two other words... Though one of them is fairly uncommon.

Edit: Aaaaand my sister looked at it and found another word at a glance. So there's at least 8 words that fit.
When you can see more than two solutions, don't just rely on luck. Especially when you're running out of guesses. The third step in this example should be to pick a word with (ideally) none of the green letters, and as many of the viable first letters as you can cram into it. Pure guesswork is optimal if you think there's no more than two possibilities.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2022, 10:42:29 pm »

Wordle 265 X/6

When you can see more than two solutions, don't just rely on luck. Especially when you're running out of guesses. The third step in this example should be to pick a word with (ideally) none of the green letters, and as many of the viable first letters as you can cram into it. Pure guesswork is optimal if you think there's no more than two possibilities.

On the other hand...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2022, 02:00:31 am »

Why would any one ever want to turn that on...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2022, 10:58:47 am »

I don't turn it on. I just internalise it.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13