Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wrestling Q&A  (Read 1736 times)

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
Wrestling Q&A
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

I really like the wrestling features in adventure mode.  Grabbing an enemy by the weapon with a free hand and then using shift-i to gain possession of it is my favorite methood of disarming the elite bowman/crossbowmen.

Has anyone explored what else wrestling can do for you?  If you've grabbed a creatures limbs (not joint locked or broken yet) can they still attack you with them?  Can you prevent a bite by grabbing hold of a creatures head?

right now, the actual wrestling commands seem to produce only useful results for the following:

break a humanoid's arms to prevent weapon or fist attacks, and cause pain
break a humanoid's legs to prevent them from standing, and cause pain.

with a free hand, gain possession of a dangerous weapon from a weapon wielding enemy
with a free hand, gauge out eyes of a sighted enemy causing them to have a 3x3x3 cube of vision, and pain.

choke on throat-endowed enemies to add a bleeding state to the throat area causing a creature to bleed to death, and pain.

pinch certain locations to cause pain, which I haven't messed around with at all, but one that I might want to try since it would train the skill really quickly without dispatching my unwilling partner.

grab other equipment with a free hand and gain possesssion of them for the fun of stripping your enemy to humiliate them.  also sets up the delightful act of beating someone to death with their own shoes, etc.

I think that's about it.

And these things are great, I love it.  I also want more like an ungrateful brat.

I'd like to grab someone by the upper body and use them as a shield against other attackers.

If I'd grabbed someone by the head, and thrown them or taken them down, I want to bounce their head off the ground.

I'd like to grab an upper body use that to actually throw the enemy at other enemies.

I'm sure the wishlist for this stuff is huge, but those are some things I've had in mind lately.

Has anyone found any neat tricks that I've missed?

KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestling Q&A
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

That is indeed about it.  You can mod the neck and quadrupeds so that they have joints and thus become capable of breaking them, though in the case of the neck breaking it won't do the same sorts of things that a real broken neck does to a person.  Also, one of the development/wish list documents said that a future goal would be to allow super strong characters/enemies to rip people in half and such, and Toady has also said that more interesting wrestling (also more interesting weapon play) is in the plans.
A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

Yeah wrestling is one of my favourites aswell, i remember grabbing a guards helmet and beating him to death. If i remember correctly toady said that he was gonna put in something like you being able to slice an enemys throat with a dagger.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

Great post, thank you very much!  I've always been intimidated by wrestling because mostly all I can manage to do is punch someone or grab them by the pinky toe and annoy them a little, I never knew how to do a lot of this stuff.  

Very nice post, thank you!

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Ataru13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Future:
<STRONG>Yeah wrestling is one of my favourites aswell, i remember grabbing a guards helmet and beating him to death. If i remember correctly toady said that he was gonna put in something like you being able to slice an enemys throat with a dagger.</STRONG>

That would go perfect with the ambush skill! You could be an assassin creeping up on someone then POW, wrestle with them by jamming in the throat with a dagger!

Foul_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 12:37:00 am »

One of my favorite maneuvers is to grab my target by their thong with a free hand, then I shift-I to grab it from them.  Shorts in hand, I proceed to use my new "weapon" to choke my enemy to death.
Nothing like strangling a gobbo with his own underwear.
 seek the dying, the sick and deformed; all who would taint the species
stabbing and choking and burning and drowning exterminate subhuman feces

FunkyBomb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 01:02:00 am »

I'm pretty sure grabbing someone's limb keeps them from using that limb. They have to break your hold before they can use that limb to do anything.

Take-down just puts someone on the ground, and can be done any time you've got a hold on your opponent (even if it's just on his shirt), as long as he's standing up first. Agile enemies are likely to stand up soon after you take them down, though.

Throw puts someone on the ground, and also stuns them, if they can be stunned. This is much better than a take-down, but again, they must be standing, and you must grip them by a body part and not by their clothing or equipment. A stunned, prone enemy is very often a dead enemy.

Taking someone's shield away makes them much easier to hit. Taking a weapon master's weapon away makes them nearly powerless.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 07:13:00 am »

The Martial Arts mod, although now it's a bit more than just that, adds some new close quarters manuevers. Nothing outstanding, but adds some flavor to the boring punches and bites.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

Edited because I somehow managed to end up in the wrong topic. If any mods actually bother looking around for things to delete (IME, they never have), this would be a good candidate.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

This has helped me immensly! Always wanted to know how to disarm people and gouge out the eyes!

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 07:55:00 am »

Strangling seems to go on indefinitely. Rats and minotaurs alike withstood many turns of strangling, and only died when I decided to release one of their body parts to try something else. Does strangling really go on like that, or can you eventually kill an incapacitated creature by strangling it?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 08:01:00 am »

Oh yeah, strangling works.  In fact, because of the way it works, you can strangle a creature for a little bit and then wander off to do something else, leaving the creature to die from a crushed windpipe.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

Strangling is something like an indirect kill. Think of the neck as a limb, and strangling being the action that breaks it.

Any strangling after that is like pinching. It's a useful way of incapacitating your opponents if there is only one at a time.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

Grab the head and gouge the eyes.  I did that to a giant cave spider and it was immensely satisfying.  Shouldn't a GCS have more than 2 eyes though?

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

The cyclops I was sent to fight is currently lying down in front of me. My axe and all the solid throwable bodparts are on the same tile at the cyclops. All I can do is wrestle the him. I've already broken all his joints, slashed his eye out and strangled his neck. He just lies there, fading in and out of consciousness. My adventurer is getting tired, and I don't know how to make the cyclops die already so I can get my stuff and get out of the cave. What else can I do to bring his long overdue death closer?
Edit: He finally bled to death. The bastard lay unconscious on the floor, yet all my punches kept glancing away.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: AlienChickenPie ]

Pages: [1] 2