- 4 (100%)
Pick A New Site
- 0 (0%)
Let it god!  Oh Armok let it GO!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: January 31, 2022, 10:19:04 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Abbey of Books - A Autumn Kingdom Succession Fort! Overseers NO LONGER Needed!  (Read 15955 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abbey of Books - A Autumn Kingdom Succession Fort...?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 05:11:44 pm »

Okay, I think I set it up.  A simple zip file with everything from the save, the game, the pop-cap, everything.  The Abbey of Books.

Just be careful about those wild pumpkins.  From what I can tell the Great Pumpkins are freaking dangerous.  And remember the dead Hunter did own a gun someplace.

https://mega.nz/file/2OomQCCQ#sBATajg7UDG-29xzMv439_EdlI3_pTOZcEMlh2rohXE

Edit : "Do you recall if we have multiple biomes, such that digging in an alternative spot might yield different kinds of stone?"  I don't remember - I try to but in this case I think I was just trying to find a local that fit the story.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 03:18:23 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2022, 06:36:58 pm »

I got two of my main forts between two biomes and it yielded multiple kinds of stone for me.
Actually threw off the aesthetic for me as one was brown and the other gray lol

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2022, 07:21:58 pm »

I got two of my main forts between two biomes and it yielded multiple kinds of stone for me.
Actually threw off the aesthetic for me as one was brown and the other gray lol

Yeah, I normally do that but I don't remember what I did this time.  I figured they were not Dwarfs so I was looking for a biome for Pumpkinheads.  I seem to remember deep metals...oh well.  The settlers will figure it out.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2022, 07:51:32 pm »

The 251st year of the great Gainhan. I remain separated from my love and joy, Lom, my daughter and sole surviving family member,  and I know next to nothing. She may be dead. I reside in The Abbey of Books, a small community of pumpkinheads that sits adjacent to a forested brook. The leaves are beautiful here, and if only my daughter was here, I might truly enjoy it.

Suddenly, screams. Death. No, not again. . .

Gainhan, why do you curse us so?

---

The architect, Callisto, was held responsible and removed from leadership. I stepped up - as Gainhan's chosen, I was more than capable. My vine was the strongest of our lot, and I was sure to bring our little village prosperity and growth.

It is with no pleasure I accomplish my first task as leader - the digging of graves, for the fallen. I curse Callisto under my breath - what god were you hoping to please with this slaughter?

---

With the shock of so many dead, no one can remember who was responsible for what. I take up the woodcutters axe, and lay plans for a second floor over the southeastern rooms - storage, and workshops.

The trees are soft, here, and it is not long before I feel in the groove, chopping at the wood like a young sprout again.

---

Hatchling poults squeak and squirm in the barn shack. Good eating, I say!

---

The strangelings arrived today, leading a horse and a mule packed with trade goods. These strange cat-like humanoids appear rather docile and friendly, though they stared a little too long at the young poults.

We had almost nothing to trade, except a few stone pots and wooden chests. Though after seeing the lot of our offerings, the furry creatures conferred amongst themselves only to bring us a total offer of 68 pumpkinbucks.

So be it. Finally, I spied a small frog in a cage. This frog was like Gainhan, the great god of mine, but less intelligent, and less all-powerful. But still - what a wonderful little creature!

And then, the furry creatures realized the chests were made from wood. And furiously stole back my pet frog, which I had just named Charlie Hoppenshtein the Third, as well as the pet pumpkins and fruits we had acquired.

Note to pumpkin self - cat people are confusing, generally.

---

Summer came, and with it: migrant pumpkins, hoping to join up with us. They complained about hungry badgers, and we could only nod along in sympathy - the feasome black-and-white beasts were commonly spotted in the darker parts of the valley. With gleaming teath and an appetite for pumpkin, they were most definitely a lurking nightmare in the back of my mind as I ventured out into the trees.

In any case, these migrants were useful - a proper carpenter, for one, as well as another leatherworker by the name of Haefeel. As I was obviously the more experienced pumpkin, Haefeel was ordered to assist with mining duties.

Did I mention, we were expanding the quarry? If I was to build a temple to Gainhan, it would be a proper temple, you see, and at the very least able to stand aloft without killing anyone. *sidewys glances*

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 01:51:45 am by Salmeuk »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 09:27:17 am »

So far so good.  Too bad the cat people are so picky about the use of trees.  I don't remember real cats being that upset about killing trees.   >:(

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abbey of Books - A Autumn Kingdom Succession Fort!
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2022, 05:35:58 pm »

Working on this today.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2022, 08:21:29 am »

Best of luck to you. Hope those gourds are keeping well.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2022, 04:48:14 am »

Other pumpkins arrived, with smiling faces. They asked to join up, help out with the community, and each offered a unique set of skills.

One had a pet cat!

After the unfortunate temple incident, there were a couple of spare rooms.

---

Great Pumpkins roam the forests. I dream that I catch one on a leash, and train it to perform tricks.

Even after waking, I still want to trap one of them. Perhaps one of the migrants knows how to finagle the mechanisms I would need.

---

The graves were dug:

---

Brown fur and slavering jaws, the werewolf was first seen by poor Lorwice as he rounded the corner of the turkey barn.

The wolf charged on. We split into groups, some ran for the safety of the barn, while others charged in anger at the beast.

One of the orphans was caught up in the mix

but made it out alright through quick reflexes.

And then, almost as soon as it appeared, the wolf shrunk into a horrible little shrew of a human. The enraged townsfolk descended upon the helpless, quavering fellow... not much was left when they were done. Pumpkins are not known for mercy.

the game crashed as soon as the human died. Consider this a teaser for the real turn, which should arrive soon. damn these crashes.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2022, 06:35:20 am »

Sad to hear it crashed.  That's not a good sign.   ???

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2022, 01:58:19 pm »

Any updates?
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2022, 06:12:04 pm »

Work continues, my apologies for the delay - I am also constructing a call of cthulu ttrpg story at the moment and became irl distracted.

Also,

---

I dream of seasons passing and frantic construction. I dream of an expanded quarry, and stone furniture and walls. I dream of a pumphouse, and a fresh-flowing pond full of yellow and purple lilies. I dream of a full graveyard. I dream of a wolf. . . what might this mean?

Emar prowled through the fall forest, his footpads silently gliding past fallen leaves and puddles. He approached the smell of flesh, hungry. Last meal was forever ago, and Emar must eat.

Here was the bite that sealed the fate of our miner, had they even managed to live.

Kelzy (my dwarf) and Callisto happened to be there, and swiftly joined the fray.

Callisto came out alright, managing to crawl away with only a majority of their body parts soaked in blood.

Kelzy, on the other hand . . .

Then, a lucky break! The were has passed out from exhaustion.

Can these two pumpkinheads make their escape? Let's watch!

. . .

. . .

This was not going according to plan. Most horrifyingly, it turns out that this were is different somehow, and remains a werewolf throughout the entire month, excluding a few days where it returns to human form. As we missed our window to kill him during this weakened state, he has returned, completely regenerated and really fucking ANGRY.

The remaining dwarves are now holed up in the turkey barn complex. The staircase is located on the outside and thus the dwarves are segregated into their respective rooms. The werewolf is holding siege. Kelzy is dead. This is MUCH MUCH WORSE than that dream I had. Much worse.

The Abbey Of Books will need more graves.

---

The werewolf is also holding us under siege IRL, with the threat of a crash should we kill it. Foul beast indeed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:15:13 pm by Salmeuk »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2022, 06:35:58 pm »

Wow.  Even forewarned things went....badly.   I wonder if Pumpkinheads can become inflected?  If none of us have changed I guess we are okay.  Where's the gun!?!?    :'(

Edit - If the werewolf is a werewolf most of the time and only a human a few days does that make it a werehuman?!?!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:17:18 pm by callisto8413 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2022, 03:08:33 am »

Well that went poorly, do we have any weapons other than that gun that got lost?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2022, 09:31:21 am »

Well that went poorly, do we have any weapons other than that gun that got lost?

I think we have a few items that I brought with us that are classified as weapons.  But if they are in storage he might not be able to arm the Pumpkinheads.  Depends on where they are hidding.

Edit - Looked up the werewolf.  Seems the poor girl got attacked by a werewolf and bitten when she was just three.  Wow.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:19:24 am by callisto8413 »

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 12:40:08 pm »

[...]
The remaining dwarves are now holed up in the turkey barn complex. The staircase is located on the outside and thus the dwarves are segregated into their respective rooms.  [...]

Dwarven spy!
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11