- 4 (100%)
Pick A New Site
- 0 (0%)
Let it god!  Oh Armok let it GO!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: January 31, 2022, 10:19:04 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Abbey of Books - A Autumn Kingdom Succession Fort! Overseers NO LONGER Needed!  (Read 15941 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter One - The Adventure Begins!

The Queen of The Town of Crafts, Vileile Fateurben, had a small problem.  She felt a large part of the populace were pretty useless. 

Of course, most Nobles felt that way about the lower class.  Or about everybody to be honest.  Pumpkinheads had huge heads and felt they were smarter than others.  Including their own kind.  And those of the upper class, being they had books and an education, also had massive egos on top of their big heads.

So the Queen, after pretending to talk to her Barons and Baronesses, and the one Count, announced that a group would be sent off into the world to make a new settlement.  The settlers would be selected from the local Guild of Teachers.

“Is that a good idea?” asked Calme Tuscirgie, the current outpost liaison.  “I mean, most of their knowledge comes from books.”

The Queen handed Calme a list of teachers to be sent off into the world.

“Er….are you sure about this idea?  Some of these teachers have useful skills and some….this pumpkinhead…Lorwice, they’re a poet and a dancer.  They teach music!”

“Send them out to colonize someplace far away!”

“Well, they can’t be THAT far away,” murmured the liaison, “this is a small planet.”

“Shut up and do it!”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And so the seven pumpkinheads, named the Staff of Yore, were sent off to the Field of Fellowship to create the Abbey of Books!  Which sounds more cheerful when you leave out the giant bats.

It was the year 214, the 15th of Granite, and the start of a adventure had…er…started.

The wagon, pulled by a donkey and giant pumpkin, halted its journey on the eastern slop of the valley.  It was hard to see, with all the apricot trees, apple trees, pear trees, and other trees, but there was a brook at the bottom of the valley.  Named…er….Wghttkr th Mdw of Brn.  At least that was what the maps said.  Darn cartographers and their stupid shorthand.  Make bigger maps!

Nanse Glemuscall, the Expedition Leader, was a male pimpkinhead.  His eye holes were wide-set and somewhat narrow, giving him that bad male look all the female pimpkinheads drooled over.

As he stepped out of the wagon he tried not to glance back as the silk webbing they had passed.  Wonderful for clothing but a little worrying.  Who had produced so much silk webbing?

He tried to look calm and pulled out his official looking scroll.  He unrolled it and said, “I claim this valley in the name of our Queen and now am officially the Boss of this new colony.”

Vauste Arrypier, the female who everybody decided would be the Woodworker because she had taught woodworking in the Guild, stepped out of the wagon with a copper scythe.  She snorted at his announcement.

“I doubt that will impress the giant bats,” she commented.

She, like the rest, was a pumpkinhead, with a somewhat broad mouth hole and narrow eyes.  Funny enough, her lack of patience and belief that hard work was the most important thing in life had canceled out her beauty and had killed her love life.

Barron Anazohit, the Miner, who had been selected for that position because she knew about rocks, and was also good singer and dancer, jumped out of the wagon carrying a copper pick.

“I think I saw some exposed stone closer to the brook,” she said a loud.  Barron was older than the Woodcuter and saw family as the most important thing in life.  Many within the group had made bets that she would likely hook up with somebody before Vauste.

Chang Oreemlougge, the Farmer, stepped down from the wagon.  She had been selected as the Farmer because she had been in charge of a Greenhouse in the Guild of Teachers.  She had taught farming, brewing, and a little about herbalism.

“Do you think we have sand somewhere?” she asked.  “We need glass to make a greenhouse.  A greenhouse would be lovely!”

“We can always import it,” remarked Lenza Oblatonmotton from the Wagon.  She was a novice Diagnostician, Appraiser, Record Keeper, and so on.  She was a Jack of many trades and had been given the title of Diagnoser.  Whatever that meant.  “At least we can build a framework of one before winter, maybe?”

“We want to work on housing first,” pointed out Lorwice Whinsonwortley, one of the Peasants, as he climbed out of the Wagon.

Lorwice was a teacher of singing, dancing, writing, all the civilized skills you could want.  But not ONE useful skill for surviving in the wilds.  On top of that he detested bats.  And the thought of giant bats….well.  Let us just say it is lucky Pumpkin folks could not wet themselves.

“We need shelter first,” he pointed out AGAIN as he glanced at the forest.

“Calm yourself,” said the other Peasant, name of Frath Haefeewightom.  “We want to also start a farm and maybe a small mine.  And we want to make our homes near the brook for easy access to water.  Let’s plan this out.”

Like Lorwice Frath was a teacher of music and singing and public speaking and so on.  And he knew how to play a few musical instruments.

“But the giant bats!” remarked Lorwice.

“I’m more worried about who made the webs,” replied Frath.

“There might be…rats,” pointed out Lorwice.

“Rats?” said Frath who looked about with a slight fear to his stance.

Nanse sighed and shook his head.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you may know me from some of my tries at telling a story of a Fortress.  Three so far.  One was back in 2016.  And one Adventurer.  This is going to be my FIRST try at a succession fort.  But with so many forts, why pick mine?  Well, first off, we will be using the Autumn Kingdom Mod.  So we will be pumpkinheads, we will live above ground, and will likely spend much of our working time making houses and farms and barns and churches and finding ways to keep alive in a weird world.  Might even make roads and sewers and stuff.

I already went in and worked on the Tile Set, colors, and made sure the pumpkinheads looked like pumpkinheads.  Also adjusted the population cap.  Which may or may no work.  We'll see.

Now, before I get into anything else I figure instead of passing on the save we should zip up the WHOLE game and pass it on.  That way, if somebody wants to be an overseer, they just have to grab the zip file and not have to worry about all that stuff.  All in one package.  It ISN'T just a mod as much as a whole different game.

I figure the normal Rules apply:

1.  You play one-game year or two weeks.  Write it up however you want - journal, history, drawings, or a musical.
2.  Try not to destroy the fort. 
3.  Roleplay all you want but don't powerplay.  In other words if you want to involve a named character ask their player first.
4.  Try to pumpkin anybody who asks as soon as you can.  I don't think we will have more overseers than pumpkinheads but who knows.
5.  This is all NEW to us - don't worry if you make a mistake. 

I will start out as the first overseer and...well, we'll see if anybody wishes to join.

Overseers:
1. Callisto8413 (Complete) Chapter Two,Three,Four,and Five
2. Salmeuk (Complete) Post 1,Teaser?,Post 2,Post 3,Post 4
3. AvolitionBrit (Complete) Post 1,Post 2,Post 3,Post 4
4. Callisto (Complete) OOC Review,Post 1,Post 2,The End
5. AvolitionBrit (Complete) Prelude,Reclaim Post 1,Wagon On Roof
6. Salmeuk (Complete) Teaser,First Report,Second Report
7. AvolitionBrit (Complete) Prelude,Turn,In Closing
8. Callisto (Complete Due To Broken Game) Early Spring,
9. ????

Here is the mod if you wish to take a peek at it - Get Mode Here

Thank you for reading this.  Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 12:57:57 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abbey of Books - A Autumn Kingdom Succession Fort...?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 07:55:16 pm »

Chapter Two - Spring

Journal of Expedition Leader - 15th of Granite, 250, Early Spring

I, Nanse Glemuscall, decided to start a journal of this NEW settlement.  I figure it can record our victories and our failures for future overseers to use.

First, I ordered Vauste to cut down non-producing trees.  Trees that don’t produce anything we can eat or brew.  Trees that are just useful for wood.

Barron was right.  There seems to be gabbo exposed in many areas of the valley so I suggested she start, well, digging sideways into the valley slope near the brook. 

And I told Chang to start making four small plots, with room for walls and walkways and storage for seeds.  We’ll build around it when we have the material.

I also figure we have to make a bridge for the brook.  It is kind of deep.

There is also a lot of clay, if no sand, so maybe we could start planning out making some clay goods or baking some bricks?  So many things to do before winter arrives!

Journal of Expedition Leader - 9th of Slate, 250, Mid Spring

Our bridge is finished.  Not that is was needed.  People seem to march right through the brook without an issue.  How weird.

Our greenhouse looks a tad weird.  Light somehow is leaking in through the sides and the ceiling.  The second floor will store the seeds.  I am not sure how it works without clear glass.  But maybe that was why we were sent out here?  To pull our heads out of the books and learn from the real world?

There is only three farming plots due to space issues.  We may have to make some outside the ‘Greenhouse’ if we get more people.  I am not sure what will happen during winter.  Will it snow?

Also we are making a two story barn.  Once it is finished we will work on houses and workshops.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 12th of Felsite, 250, Late Spring

I have built a Carpenter’s Workshop, a Kitchen, and a Still on the second floor of the unfinished barn.  And the second floor of the ‘Greenhouse’ is still not enclosed.  I hope nothing decides to steal our seeds.

We spotted wild boars in the forests but we are too busy to hunt and they seem to not care about us.  So, that’s good?  I am not sure any of us even have military training?

Journal of Expedition Leader - 1st of Hematite, 250, Early Summer

Summer has come and the Barn still has no roof over the second floor.  Thank the Gods we don’t care much about the rain.  Too much.  A few are mumbling about the lack of beds.

At least the ‘Greenhouse’ is enclosed.  But for a hole in the wall on the second level.  Not sure why the folks can’t seem to fill it in.  I better think about working on the houses.  We have beds.  Or at least a few beds.

Maybe in Summer I need to select a Book Keeper to start keeping track of stuff.   I hope migrants show up soon.  And I better think about a Trade Depot for the caravans.  What will we trade?

The mine is producing a lot of stone.  We just haven’t used it yet.  I hope to use it for a tavern or a church. 

Also Chang declared that she was a Farmer.  Which is weird because she was a Farmer to start with.

Also, has anybody noticed how weird the names we give our months are?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 02:04:04 am »

Now, before I get into anything else I figure instead of passing on the save we should zip up the WHOLE game and pass it on.  That way, if somebody wants to be an overseer, they just have to grab the zip file and not have to worry about all that stuff.  All in one package.  It ISN'T just a mod as much as a whole different game.

this might deter some people, but I'm down - I've always wished for a community fortress with a cohesive look for all the screenshots. and I enjoy the look of the chosen scheme.

can you provide a link to the "autumn kingdom" mod?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 02:32:17 am »

Sign me up for a turn
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 04:09:00 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 08:14:40 am »

Welcome!  Salmeuk and AvolitionBrit you have been both added to the Overseer List.  I will let you decide who to pumpkin when you take over.  I don't think we will have many pumpkinheads die this early but I will let you pick when it is your turn from the populace.  Nothing as sad as learning you have been killed before you even started.

I also added the mod link for those interested in just taking a peek or playing on their own.  Remember I will be zipping up the whole game not just the save for future overseers to make it easier on them.

Also welcome King Zultan!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 06:12:28 pm »

Chapter Three - Summer

Journal of Expedition Leader -  2nd of Hematite, 250, Early Summer

I made a list of what I need to do.  Finish the barn and ‘Greenhouse’.   Make a second barn for the animals.  Examine the mines.  Create a few more workshops.  We REALLY need a Trade Depot.  And homes.  We need HOMES.

I did examine the Mines and I am tad worried.  Don’t mines need supports?  Not that I am questioning the skills of our Miner.  I am sure Barron knows what she is doing.  She taught this stuff, after all.

I noticed a small dug out area before entering the main mines.  So I ordered a Mason’s Shop be built there.

Also we have Mushroom Spawn.  Don’t we need a cellar to grow that?  Maybe I should make a house with a basement or something for the mushrooms.

Journal of Expedition Leader -  25nd of Hematite, 250, Early Summer

Some migrants have been spotted to the northeast of the settlement.  I wonder how many will show up?  More hands will hep.  We have started work on the second barn.  But we don’t even have any houses yet! 

Update: The first migrant wave was made up of Auguss Gleekinew, a Metalcrafter, Abie Ateanckgarther, a child, Edlowey Goluperesle, a child, and Kluth Monosmy, a Woodcrafter.

Also with the settlers is a stray lamb and a pet duckling.  That seems to be it.  I will ask Auguss to put aside being a Metalscrafter for a while and just help with the other labors.

Journal of Expedition Leader -  8th of Malachite, 250, Mid Summer

The new migrants are trying to help.  But with only two additional adults that isn’t saying much.  The kids just play make believe.  We don’t even have any toys to give them!  On the other hand all the migrants are one family so that means we only need to made one house for them!

Journal of Expedition Leader -  1st of Limestone, 250, Early Autumn

The seasons seem so SHORT!

The second barn houses the turkeys, and the duck, and the second floor has a Craftsman’s Workshop.  I have also ordered a Farmer’s Workshop be built there.  The other animals seem to be safe outside but they do wander a lot.  Maybe an outside, walled-in, pasture?   The lamb became an ewe.  I assume we can shear it.  Maybe milk it?  I should check the gender of the donkey!

We had to pull apart the Carpenter’s Workshop to finish the southern wall of the second floor of the first barn.  We also finished the roof.  I ordered the workshop put back together.

At least the ‘Greenhouse’ is now finished.

I will order the making of a Trade Depot and I will start planning out the homes.  I will start with a large one for the new family.

And everybody is switching their titles at least once a month.  I can’t keep track of it any more.

I also need a Book Keeper.  We need to organize some kind of inventory list to help figure what we have in the barn and stockpiles!  The second floor of the first barn has space for a chair and table.  I will order a proper stone throne and stone table for a small, well, tiny open office.  That would also place the Book Keeper near the products and resources they have to keep track of.  Well, two seasons to go before I am replaced with the second year leader.  Who ever that is.

Of course, the Tradition of replacing the Leader each year is going to be respected.  Can't disrepect the Tradition. 

I almost forgot!  I selected my Leader name.  A name that the others can call me when addressing me as a Leader and not just a friend.  I have picked 'Callisto'.  After one of the many moons that fill our skies during the night time.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:47:41 pm by callisto8413 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 10:42:21 pm »

Nice! have you considered an open-air quarry? it seems appropriate considering the theme of surface dwellers!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 11:04:45 pm »

Nice! have you considered an open-air quarry? it seems appropriate considering the theme of surface dwellers!

I was thinking that but was worried about how to make it.  I assumed 'channeling' but was worried about the trees.  I would have to clear them first otherwise there might be an accident.  Also I didn't know how much stone I would get from just channeling vs normal mining.  I was kind of playing it safe.  Still, plently of stone.  I think the soil is kind of thin.  We have stone and clay.  Lots of stone and clay.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 04:18:38 am »

We should quarry all the way to HELL the magma sea!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 05:46:49 am »

We should quarry all the way to HELL the magma sea!

From quarry to the pit of punishment.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 08:23:38 am »

Chapter Four - Autumn

Journal of Expedition Leader - 2nd of Limestone, 250, Early Autumn

The first rock next box was placed in the second barn and was claimed by a turkey hen.  The second one is being worked on.

Also work on the Depot had begun.  Though I am not sure what we will sell at it.  It has been suggested we make stone items.  But I want to keep the stone for building public spaces.

Decisions, decisions…

Update: a Batling Thief was spotted but ran the second it was noticed.  It was naked and female.  I think.  At least it didn’t steal anything.

Also there seems to be some problem carrying the table and chair to the second floor of the first barn.  As if the ramp isn’t enough.

And Great Pumpkins, wild ones, have been seen in the woods.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 10th of Limestone, 250, Early Autumn

Well, darn it.  The outpost liaison is there but the Trade Depot was not finished so the Traders are bypassing us!  Not that we had anything to sale them…

I don’t even have a office to greet Calme Tuscurgie in.  I was so embarrassed.

At the meeting I requested that the Traders, next year, brought me seeds.   All the seeds.

In return he requested we to export ash, backpacks, prepared meals, thread, toys, ammunition, rings, earrings, goblets, and scepters.  I think we can make some of those.  I will chat with the others.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 11th of Limestone, 250, Early Autumn

Somebody finished the Depot and the caravan turned around and started to unload their wares!  I guess we can give them stone.  I better find who among us can be a Broker!

Update: Kluth Monsmy, the Woodcrafter, is now our Broker.  Sadly, the wagons can’t carry our rocks and he could not afford to buy anything!  The amount of gabbo it would take to purchase even some clay is too much for their animals to pull! Blah!

On the other hand the Stray Pumpkin has given birth to a female baby Pumpkin.

We also have a small office and I plan to make myself the Book Keeper and Manager.  I need to get this place in order!

One of the pumpkins was found DEAD across the river.  Evidence suggested a wild Great Pumpkin killed it! We need to make a outside pen for them!

Fact is, we think the other one pumpkin might be dead too.  Darn it.  We have to keep our livestock in barns or pens.  We can't let them wander.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 14th Sandstone, 250, Mid Autumn

I am not sure what is going on but I had to replace the inside ramps with stairs.  It is almost as of everybody forgot how to use them. 

We finally have a pen for the outside animals.  I also locked the barn door to the turkeys.  We have some eggs and I want the others to be untouched so they can hatch.

Some of the folks have been drinking from the brook because we are low on brewed drink.  I don’t like them drinking from the brook - they could get sick!

Journal of Expedition Leader - 28th of Sandstone, 250, Mid Autumn

Started on the family house.  It will be, in fact, two rooms next to each other with a small walkway in between.  The parents will be in one and the kids in the other.  We figured a big family needs space.

And while we were working on it more migrants showed up to the southeast.  Well, more hands will help speed up the housing project.

Update: These wave had Ottier Saldbril, a Bowyer, Kelzy Fatleottiley, a Leatherworker, Edmiery Lusstuser, a Jeweler, Fath Rownumheilce, a Woodworker, Emmente Warryned, a Hunter, Mendolp Criahculotto, a child, and Euph Volpottiley, another child.   Oh, and Lougge Jimmlard, who is another child.  Almost didn’t notice because the Great Pumpkins were in the area where the migrants had arrived and I was too busy worrying there would be a wild plant attack to notice Lougge.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 13th of Timber, 250, Late Autumn

Emmente Warrynea is hunting.  From the sounds of it she is using a Blunderbuss to hunt a Great Pumpkin.  She better not get hurt - those things can get nasty if they get their vines on you.

Note: Emmente Is Auguss’s aunt.  Auguss’s family was the first wave and is going to occupy the first family home.

The brook is full of fallen leaves.  The trees look so different without their leaves.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 15th of Timber, 250, Late Autumn

The first family house is finished and the kids went right to their parents’ beds, ignoring their own room with their own beds, and started to sleep in them.  Little brats.

I better start working on some more tiny homes.  The Bowyer, Ottier, and his wife, the Leatherworker, have requested a small home for themselves.  We’ll start on that one next.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 23rd of Timber, 250, Late Autumn

Ottier’s family house is finished.  Now we will start on Fran Bumencearmie’s family house.  Her three kids are here but not the husband.  I got the impression that he may no longer be around.  I think I will mind my own business and get their house up.  I will just assume she is a widow.

I noticed some of the toys have been picked up by the children.  I don't mind.  We'll have lots to sell next year.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 1st of Moonstone, 250, Early Winter

Winter has come.  And while I am a tad disappointed with myself and worn out from all the paperwork I can say, at least, my people will not starve during winter.  We have lots of food and drink.

We have corn beer, strawberry wine, raspberry wine, turnip wine, apricot wine, and perry. 

We also have lots and lots of mushroom biscuits and carrot plant biscuits and grape biscuits and almond biscuits.   And a couple types of stews.

We have produced so many items that I had to put some small stockpiles on the second floors of the barns.  We will need another barn soon.

Maybe, when I next migrant wave shows up we can get a few of them to fish and see if they can catch anything from the brook.  Some meat might be nice.  I guess, if we ever set up a Butcher Shop we can butcher the donkey.

I hope to have a roof over most of the folks’ heads by the end of winter and, maybe, working on a church, a tavern, maybe even a working mill.  We’ll see.  I’m just so tired.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 02:49:43 pm »

Well, I played the last season of my turn and got a surprise ending.  I'm stupid.  No, the colony is still alive I just did something stupid.  Which Salmeuk will have to clean up.  Not even sure, for IC reasons, I can be a overseer again.   :-[

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 03:47:52 pm »

Chapter Five - Winter

Journal of Expedition Leader - 2nd of Moonstone, 250, Early Winter

I have ordered more beds, cabinets, and chests made.  I also asked for a stone coffer and a stone millstone.  I might be getting ahead of myself but I figure if I don’t build a temple or mill the next Leader may.

My plans for building more houses is simple.  I plan to use as little wood as I can.  So I will build some houses sharing the walls with the ‘Greenhouse’.  With their doors entering and exiting the ‘Greenhouse’.  I figure the Farmers and Herbalists can live there and enjoy the warmth of the farming plots.   And, likely the smells too.

I also plan to build a floor on the outside pen with a entry way in the second floor of the first barn.  Not sure how many bedrooms I can get up there.  But the warmth from the animals should heat the upper level.  And, yes, it will likely smell.

I plan to also build a interfaith temple, a small one, with open sides, where the wagon use to be.  So when migrants come they can rest there for a moment and look down on the settlement.

And so worshipers can enough the view and, hopeful, the weather. 

I won’t order the work done till the third house is finished and the Farmers sow the seeds for winter.

I wonder if the brook will freeze up?  To be safe I will just make a rule that folks have to use the bridge when crossing it. 

Journal of Expedition Leader - 13th of Moonstone, 250, Early Winter

Fran’s house is finished.  So now all the families, and all the kids, have a roof over their head and warm bed. 

Now for the rest of us.  The Farmers have planted the seeds so I can order more buildings to be made.  Or in this case be expanded on.

Journal of Expeditions Leader - 14th of Moonstone, 250, Early Winter

The Carpenter, Vauste, while cutting down a tree was scared away by a wolf.  Another reason to keep the animals protected and inside.  Winter season can be hard on wolves and they are more likely to come into civilized regions hunting for food.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 3rd of Opal, 250, Mid Winter

I don’t think I will be able to start on a tavern or a mill.  But I might have the houses all done and the temple I wanted.  I just don’t wish to overwork the folks.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 15th of Opal, 250, Mid Winter

The two bedrooms have been attached to the ‘Greenhouse’.  One was given to the Farmner, Chang, and the other to the Herbalist, Lorwice. 

There will be four bedrooms above the animal pen.  Two are small and two are normal size.   Also they have started hauling stone to the temple.  We will still need a few homes.  I need to plan where to put them that makes sense.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 22nd of Opal, 250, Mid Winter

The four bedrooms above the animal pens are finished.  I grabbed one of the normal sized ones and the other normal sized one went to the Carpenter, Vauste.  That will keep me close to my office and Vauste close to the Carpenter Workshop.  The two small ones went to the Miner Barron and Lenza.

I think I need three bedrooms, or tiny houses, left to do.  I think I can get it finished before the end of winter.  One less thing the NEW Leader will have to worry about.  Besides wild animals, building more barns, making a tavern, a working mill, maybe designing a nice library or the museum.  HA!  I am joking.  The first few years of any colony should focus on the basics.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 3rd of Obsidian, 250, Late Winter

The Glade of Work does not have a roof yet but I have opened it for the people to visit if they wish.  I know it may slow down the work but many are depress and need to speak to their Gods, Goddesses, Force, or Spirits.  They need the outlet.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 14th Obsidian, 250, Late Winter

The Broker ran into some trouble across the brook.  I asked for some plants to be gathered and he ran into a normal sized pumpkin and got into a fight.  There were a few Great Pumpkins there too.  I keep forgetting we are in the wilderness.  Maybe we need more Hunters or some Militia?  Life on the frontier.

Journal of Expedition Leader - 18th of Obsidian, 250, Late Winter

Seem to have recounted.  Need one more bedroom.  Some Book Keeper I am!  At least we have gotten use to building roofs, walls, and floors. 

Journal of Expedition Leader - 24th of Obsidian, 250, Late Winter

The last bedrooms have been finished and were given to the Jeweler, Edmiery, the Hunter, Emmente, the Herbalist, Frath, and the Woodworker, Fath.

Also the Temple has been finished.  The workers are taking the stairs down as I write this.  People have already been praying at it. 

With roofs over their head, warm beds, plenty of food, and a small Temple to meet their needs I hope we have finally planted a stolid foundation for the future.  A crowd has collected to see the stairs brought down.

Update:  No, no, no, no.  I’m a fool.  The roof of the temple was not attached to the pillars.  It was attached to the stairs!  My mistake killed Fath, Fran, Edmiery, Ottier, Calme, Augus, and Vauste.  And Emmente, the Hunter, is missing.  Oh no.  Three of the kids lost their mother!

What a horrible thing to happen right when things were looking up. 

The bodies will be moved to the mines to wait for us to make coffins for them.  I have also ordered slabs so the coffins can have proper memorial slabs for each one.

The Hunter, Emmente, was found dead.

Journal of Expedition Leader, 1st of Granite, 250, Early Spring

Spring has come and I will step down.  I will continue to be the Book Keeper and Manage if the new Leader wishes it.  That is the least I can do.  Though maybe I should move in and take care of Fran’s children?  I will leave it up to the new Leader.

I have sent a report back to the Queen and she has promised more migrants.  When they will arrive, who knows.  But at least we will have bedrooms for them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just some OOC information for the next overseer.  There is a Gathering Zone on the west side of the map, across the brook, and they seem to use it.  But it is kind of dangerous.  Many of the wild animals have been entering the settlement and causing jobs to be canceled. 

But, as we have seen in the last chapter, pumpkinheads are the most dangerous of animals.  Stupid ones seem to be very dangerous.  Not much else I need to tell you.  There is a statue on the production queue.  I was going to place it in the temple but it wasn’t ready and…well, now there is no temple.  The pillars are still there…so if you put down a floor and built a PROPER roof it could still work. 

There is also a millstone ready but in order to use it you need a working mill and that takes time to build. 

I would request that you pick a area for a graveyard and give each coffin a memorial slab.  It is always nice to read what happened to each deceased without trying to guess.

Also we will likely need more stone so you can start channeling down it you want in the mines.  Just don’t trap the miners! 

Now I will go sit in the corner and sob.  When that temple collapsed I think my neighbors could hear me shout out NOOOOOOOOOO!

DFFD does not seem to want to give me a newpassword for my old account or a new account.  I have asked the website itself if I am doing something wrong so, untill they reply, I can't pass on the Game File.  Unless somebody knows a different way to do it?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 04:44:40 pm »

My mistake killed Fath, Fran, Edmiery, Ottier, Calme, Augus, and Vauste.  And Emmente, the Hunter, is missing.  Oh no.  Three of the kids lost their mother!

omg this kill count is hilarious for... a single construction accident. What was half the village doing under the half-finished temple roof? Already praying, no doubt.

Lovely little fortress, and I will attempt to maintain your style in housing and barn construction. I suspect my turn will result in a completed temple, a few new buildings, a graveyard, and maybe an expansion of the quarry.

Do you recall if we have multiple biomes, such that digging in an alternative spot might yield different kinds of stone?

And, finally, if you have google drive you can just upload the whole file. you could also upload it to mega.nz if you have an account there! Pm me when you figure this out so I can just get started.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11