Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: abanonded site and items  (Read 1215 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
abanonded site and items
« on: April 15, 2008, 09:18:00 am »

is there any way to place items in an abandoned fortress so that it stays put where it is ?

trade depots ?

bins (given you manage to find the bin) ?

stockpiles ?

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: abanonded site and items
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

Far as I know trade depots... but never tried it myself.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

Apparently, bins whose total contents aren't extremely light will stay in place, but bins containing only really, really light things will scatter. I haven't specifically tested this myself, but it seems to be completely accurate according to my adventurer experiences.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

I don't know that it's the light vs. heaviness.  I think it's the adamantine vs. non-adamantine-ness.

Bins with adamantine items only are scattered, bins with no adamantine items OR a mixture of both are not scattered.  If it helps you to think of this as weighing down the bin with some iron, then so be it.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

It's definitely the weight. I was sick of not being able to find my adamantine stuff, so I just changed the weight of the metal in the raw (to the weight of iron) and bingo, they all stay put.

The downside is the moment you rechange it, all the stuff gets scattered again.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

Yep, it's weight.
My adamantine bins (I had too much adamantine, go figure) got scattered while my heavy iron (special modded adamantine with twice the weight of iron, for testing purposes) bins didn't.
Both were empty.
Heavy iron is an exact copy of adamantine except with changed weight.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:29:00 am »

Abanonded?  That's a candiddate for the spellign thread, mythinks.

Seems strange to me that weight would affect scattering (due to the inherent dwarf-logic in DF), but it's nice to know.  All the more info to help out a treasure fortress.

Speaking of which, someone should make a treasure-hunt fort.  Make an exceptionally heavy metal for making the bins with, and then store treasure inside it and place it in a nice chamber for it.  Send in an adventurer to brave the traps!