Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35

Author Topic: Panopticotheon IC: Turn 8 [10/10]  (Read 23301 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Panopticotheon IC: Turn 4 [9/10]
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2022, 08:39:46 pm »

How is it, exactly, that a bunch of gods can just forget that they define reality? Gibeele is making a divine Creature, Harvest. Asking how it doesn't starve is about equal to asking how the Archangels don't starve.
There's magic. It's all divine magic. We haven't made anything that mortals - once they exist - will be able to use yet, but there is magic. The dragonfly will be fine.

HH looks as skeptical as a bird can.

"That isn't magic. That is nature. Archangels clearly eat delicious Archangel food. Would you expect mortals without a defined diet to eat nothing? No, you would expect them to have a full and wholesome diet by default. But once you specify a mortal eats only fish for example, then you know they eat fish. And if fish don't exist then what do you think would happen to those mortals?"

He tuts with his fingers.

"Poor planning. Even if he won't die from it he will still go hungry. Magic doesn't exist. Unless you're suggesting the poor beastie devours gods then he will go hungry. How cruel can you be to deny someone a meal?"

He then carefully watches the Poor, Starving Drift King with eyes full of pity.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2022, 08:47:36 pm »

Emissary?
I do not eat, sir. Neither do the Pages.
Thank you, Emissary. Harvest, the Drift King is not going to go hungry for even a moment, much less starve. Incarnae and Servants are all capable of sustaining themselves on pure divine presence. Mortals, lacking the concentrated divinity that Incarnae and Servants are comprised of, do require sustenance of like substance, but that property does not, in practical matters, extend to the vessels of divine will that we construct.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2022, 08:51:54 pm »

Emissary?
I do not eat, sir. Neither do the Pages.
Thank you, Emissary. Harvest, the Drift King is not going to go hungry for even a moment, much less starve. Incarnae and Servants are all capable of sustaining themselves on pure divine presence. Mortals, lacking the concentrated divinity that Incarnae and Servants are comprised of, do require sustenance of like substance, but that property does not, in practical matters, extend to the vessels of divine will that we construct.

"That is called 'ventriloquism' and many gods consider it to be a sin. I saw your lips move!"

HH did not, in fact, take his eyes off of the food-deprived Drift King.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2022, 08:55:41 pm »

C’thun laughs. “And they call me the childish one.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2022, 09:08:51 pm »

"I saw your lips move!"
The Faceless Prince appears to be looking disapprovingly in Harvey Harvest's direction. It is a little difficult to tell, however, due to their lack of a face.
I do not have lips. Not a single one of my Incarnae or Servants thus far have lips. None of us have eyes, noses, ears, mouths. I do not eat. My Incarnae and Servants do not eat. Neither I nor any of my Incarnae and Servants need to eat. While I recognize that, as a harvest deity, you may choose to eat, and have your Incarnae and Servants do the same, this is not a requirement.

Gibeele, would you please come over here and explain the mechanics of your Creature's methods of sustenance and what-have-you so that I don't need to continue trying to explain the workings of an entity I have only marginally more specific information on than Harvest does? Just because I am a knowledge god does not mean that I instantaneously know the details of every entity you lot create, especially ones as unique as Incarnae.

C’thun laughs. “And they call me the childish one.
Regrettably, childishness is not a unique quality.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 09:12:19 pm by Glass »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2022, 09:14:14 pm »

The Faceless Prince appears to be looking disapprovingly in Harvey Harvest's direction. It is a little difficult to tell, however, due to their lack of a face.
I do not have lips. Not a single one of my Incarnae or Servants thus far have lips. None of us have eyes, noses, ears, mouths. I do not eat. My Incarnae and Servants do not eat. Neither I nor any of my Incarnae and Servants need to eat. While I recognize that, as a harvest deity, you may choose to eat, and have your Incarnae and Servants do the same, this is not a requirement.

"And here you are saying reality can be whatever I want it to be. If your lips don't exist, then magic doesn't exist. If magic exists, then you must have lips. See how silly you sound?"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2022, 09:18:33 pm »

I was not created by you. Neither of us created the Drift King. Your equivalences are invalid. Please, for the love of reason, cease and desist.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2022, 09:19:47 pm »

I was not created by you. Neither of us created the Drift King. Your equivalences are invalid. Please, for the love of reason, cease and desist.

"But your lips where. Did you just forget that I define reality?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2022, 09:22:19 pm »

"What do you want me to say here? You've 'read' just the very same thing as I've 'written', which in itself constitutes a complete set of instructions for the autonomous portion of our verymost existence, Mod Almighty, to weave into nominal being. If more information on the beast which as of this Layer does not truly exist as anything more than a 'description' does exist, then you would be fully able to read it. If I happened to have additional conceptowhatsits which I weren't sharing, then that additional data would not in fact be available for the Divine Ribosome to weave into the finished product, and thus said information would not be, in fact, part of the final product at all. Unless I happened to submit to the Board Allseeing something incomplete while in fact the true, complete creation was made more subversively, but you'll understand if I'd consider such a thing to be a complete waste of effort on my part when I could indeed simply stay silent while doing so."

Gibeele turns a ninety degree angel to the fourth wall and speak wryly.
"Which might be a fine plan of course, if it would spawn fewer stupid discussions."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2022, 09:25:25 pm »

You do not define me. I do not define you. We are capable of defining things about reality, but strictly speaking, we are not part of reality; we are above it.
Furthermore, in case you have forgotten, we all are capable of contesting others' attempts to define reality as they please, and I rather take issue with your attempts to claim that I have lips. As my self is the greatest concentration of my divine power, I have utmost control over my self, and can perfectly define what I am; as a result, it is not possible for you to define my self, no more than it would be possible for me to define that, for example, you were a radiant shade of puce.
Even if you change yourself to such a shade in order to attempt to disprove me, understand that it would, in fact, be you defining this change to your self; my only involvement would have been suggesting the possibility.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2022, 09:32:59 pm »

"What do you want me to say here? You've 'read' just the very same thing as I've 'written', which in itself constitutes a complete set of instructions for the autonomous portion of our verymost existence, Mod Almighty, to weave into nominal being. If more information on the beast which as of this Layer does not truly exist as anything more than a 'description' does exist, then you would be fully able to read it. If I happened to have additional conceptowhatsits which I weren't sharing, then that additional data would not in fact be available for the Divine Ribosome to weave into the finished product, and thus said information would not be, in fact, part of the final product at all. Unless I happened to submit to the Board Allseeing something incomplete while in fact the true, complete creation was made more subversively, but you'll understand if I'd consider such a thing to be a complete waste of effort on my part when I could indeed simply stay silent while doing so."

Gibeele turns a ninety degree angel to the fourth wall and speak wryly.
"Which might be a fine plan of course, if it would spawn fewer stupid discussions."

"All that to say you never bothered to give the poor soul his source of food. How cruel and careless can a single god be?"

You do not define me. I do not define you. We are capable of defining things about reality, but strictly speaking, we are not part of reality; we are above it.
Furthermore, in case you have forgotten, we all are capable of contesting others' attempts to define reality as they please, and I rather take issue with your attempts to claim that I have lips. As my self is the greatest concentration of my divine power, I have utmost control over my self, and can perfectly define what I am; as a result, it is not possible for you to define my self, no more than it would be possible for me to define that, for example, you were a radiant shade of puce.
Even if you change yourself to such a shade in order to attempt to disprove me, understand that it would, in fact, be you defining this change to your self; my only involvement would have been suggesting the possibility.

"We are capable of changing the world around is in the same way mortals are. By action. By planting and harvesting. The seeds of magic where never planted, so it is foolish to expect a magic harvest. And if you're planning on eating a harvest you never planted then you will starve. We arn't above reality any more than a mortal is. If we sit here and pretend the world is different than what we made with our own two hands then it isn't any different than a mortal doing the same. Do you think you're above the ones toiling in the field? So much that you have never given though to their daily life? Perhaps once a slice of bread passes through one of your fifty lips you will understand mortals better."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2022, 09:39:26 pm »

We are gods. We are, quite by definition, above reality. It, in various cases, take work to influence reality - but so too, in various cases, it does not. Has this entire conversation been some roundabout way of expressing that you wish to contest Gibeele's implicit construction of magic from when they noted its consumption by the Drift King? If so, then I will note that it is your interference that would be depriving the Creature of sustenance.

The Faceless Prince elects to disregard the inane comment about lips. Per their name, they remain faceless and featureless.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 09:45:54 pm by Glass »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2022, 09:47:03 pm »

We are gods. We are, quite by definition, above reality. It, in various cases, take work to influence it - but so too, in various cases, it does not. Has this entire conversation been some roundabout way of expressing that you wish to contest Gibeele's implicit construction of magic by way of noting its consumption by the Drift King? If so, then I will note that it is your interference that would be depriving the Creature of sustenance.

The Faceless Prince elects to disregard the inane comment about lips. Per their name, they remain faceless and featureless.

"I'm keeping everyone's bellys full. The fact that there isn't such a thing as implicit construction is just the reason why there is a belly that is going empty."

HH then shakes his head sadly.

"You are quite obviously not above realty nor the beings living in it. Dunno why you're on that high horse just because you happen to be a god. If you think you're so special you can go press your lips to that eye over there and see how that works out for you. Just keep saying how nothing is going to happen and you don't have lips. If you're so high and mighty above reality then you're right nothing would happen. If you end up being wrong and proving me right then it might get dicey for you. Call it an experiment if you like.

Unless you're chicken?"

Harvest holds up a chicken-like creature in his claw to punctuate the last word.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2022, 09:53:19 pm »

In case you haven't noticed, the watcher is also above reality. I never claimed that we were the only ones of such stature.
Furthermore, there is implicit construction; I had no need to define what, specifically, exists within the Old World, and yet there exist a myriad examples of exotic flora and fauna within the Region. You just implicitly constructed that bird for the purposes of demonstration. That is what implicit construction is, the creation of things without Act expenditure that lack bearing outside of their narrow purposes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2022, 09:53:41 pm »

"There quite clearly is such a thing as implicit creation, as mediated by Mod Almighty. Have you noticed that we've created landmasses, yet never stopped to define the nature of matter? Such things would be unsuitable to be transmitted through such a flimsy medium as this. In fact, in context, we are likely much more careful and meticulous than we are in reality. If you believe in the truth of our 'physical reality' then I'm afraid that we'll have to disagree, especially when you insist on reading needles of light through a screendoor rather than the intentions behind them. And never forget that there is something above us. And they have a name, though I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for me to speak it in this context."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35