Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35

Author Topic: Panopticotheon IC: Turn 8 [10/10]  (Read 23203 times)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Panopticotheon IC: Turn 1 [9/10]
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2021, 02:06:24 pm »

"You will have a hall, like the rest of us. You may decorate it how you wish, provided that you do not violate the laws of the realm."

Which are?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2021, 02:08:48 pm »

"Do not abduct petitioners from outside your own hall, do not modify the overall planescape without consensus, do not war for control over the shared plane."

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2021, 02:11:15 pm »

"Do not abduct petitioners from outside your own hall, do not modify the overall planescape without consensus, do not war for control over the shared plane."

Sure, easy enough. I follow these rules and I can do whatever I want, correct?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2021, 02:17:24 pm »

"Sure. Keep in mind that verbal agreements with me are non-binding. If you try to rules lawyer me based on what I've said, I'll slap you and then patch the oversight."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2021, 02:17:34 pm »

Design a possible Shared Realm.

The Cathedral of Souls
This realm automatically absorbs the souls of dead mortals, and other displaced spirits with nowhere to go.
A relatively small and humble church, the main hall filled with gentle, warm light, and various chimes and instruments hung from the ceiling play a soft melody. Windows show the landscape of each Realm.
Nine halls for nine realms, each with a door leading to a final destination. The owner of each realm may station one or more guards for their respective doors, as they wish.
But are forbidden by the physical law of the realm from abducting petitioners from the main hall. Each must choose of their own volition.
Outside is a large area of wilderness tightly wrapped around itself, filled with grass and trees and creeks and such. Of no mechanical significance to the realm's soul-sorting purpose.

Hmn... certainly interesting, and not disagreeable to me, especially with the addition of an exterior wilderness. However, if I may, I'd like to make a few suggestions of my own for consideration...
The Garden of Souls

This realm automatically absorbs the souls of dead mortals, and other displaced spirits with nowhere to go. Combat and other means of harm, physical or otherwise, are impossible here.
At the very center is an open, 9-sided pavilion, with each side's midpoint bearing a small column and a humble shrine to one of the gods; from these shrines, souls may petition acceptance into the corresponding god's afterlife.
The land within 36 mile's radius of the pavilion is a large area of wilderness tightly wrapped around itself, filled with grass, trees, creeks, and the like, where souls may contemplate their decision or simply rest.
Beyond the radius, the wilderness begins to change, reflecting the realm of the god whose shrine corresponded to the side the wilderness was most closely approached from. The influence strengthens as the distance from the center increases.
54 miles away from the center, directly in line with each god's shrine, is a portal to and from each god's realm; only entities who belong to these realms may utilize the portals. Those who arrived through the portal may move essentially freely through the Garden of Souls, with the sole exception that they may not come any closer than 24 miles to the central pavilion.
How would this sound to you all?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2021, 02:24:37 pm »

"I have continued to tweak my model, you may wish to review it. The Garden is an acceptable proposal as well, I believe that it will fulfil the same purpose. My only objection is that the entirely open plan may be uncomfortable for creatures which experience agoraphobia."

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2021, 02:30:00 pm »

"I have continued to tweak my model, you may wish to review it. The Garden is an acceptable proposal as well, I believe that it will fulfil the same purpose. My only objection is that the entirely open plan may be uncomfortable for creatures which experience agoraphobia."
Simply include underground caverns and tunnels for those that wish such things. And perhaps a notice that it can be modified by consensus in the future.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2021, 02:32:02 pm »

Terror of the very open sky... scarcely to be imagined. Something to be pitied, but fought and overcome, not compromised with.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2021, 02:35:44 pm »

"Fear of common things can be an advantageous trait, you know. A rat which 'overcomes' its fear of the sky will likely be eaten by an owl."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2021, 02:37:02 pm »

...it can just fear owls, you know.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2021, 02:40:51 pm »

"They can't see things way up high so well as owls can see what's below, so they wind up being afraid of the sky, which holds things which want to kill them. Nature doesn't always design things optimally, and besides, creatures can't afford the processing power to perfectly perceive the world around them. Fear of the sky is a useful shortcut."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2021, 02:49:48 pm »

I feel like you're missing the point.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2021, 02:54:13 pm »

"It is known that fear of the sky occurs, and that ignoring it can be disadvantageous. So I'd conclude that it's something we might expect mortals to possess."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2021, 02:55:36 pm »

Then the only right thing to do is dump them in an open field where there is no danger and let them come to terms with it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2021, 02:57:23 pm »

"Would you overcome your Fear if it came to pass, and you could do nothing about it?"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35