Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Battleship: Dire Times on the Invincible [5/5]  (Read 3798 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Dire Times on the Invincible [5/-]
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2021, 09:43:52 pm »

Give an exasperated sigh.

"GM2, what the hell do you think a fire hose is gonna do to a boarder? Are there no guns in here?"

If anyone is eager to use firearms it's a gunner's mate. Wrangle the GMs and assemble a ragtag security detail to protect the diesel at all costs. If no guns are found in the magazine or the machinery spaces, take the detail to the armory.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2021, 11:02:05 am »

FWD MAGAZINE

Let's see. I have 18" shells and electric hands. Time to become a railgun.

Quickly look for a couple metal poles or equivalent that I can use to extend my "rails" past my arms alone. Then, prepare to fire by adjusting my electric hands so that they're polarized, allowing me to send a spark from one side to the other and back at the elbow. Nestle one of these small 5" shells between my forearms for a test run, and then demand that the source of the noise outside identify itself or I start shooting.
]

[17] You find a couple sections of moveable tracks for the rounds to be moved to the elevators. Said tracks are bolted to a roller cart, but are otherwise not connected to anything. Figuring they're made of ferromagnetic materials, you wheel them to face the P-way just behind the door. [SMT 3][SMT=2][3] [CHN 1][CHN=1][AUTOPASS] You further control your newfound electric power to make it easier to arc between your hands, but you can't quite figure out how to make a railgun. Instead you figure that touching the rounds to the rails would cause and explosion. But that doesn't stop you from blustering.
   "IDENTIFY YOURSELF OR I START SHOOTING!" You hear all noise on the other side of the wall cease, [SMT 2][SMT=2][AUTOPASS] followed by an obviously Bratavian man say "We're uh... From ... repair div. May I come in?"

[+10 EXP]

Spoiler: ENS Chadwick (click to show/hide)

#2RC (Generators LL)

I'm pretty sure I can think of something to survive underwater, so random gurgling doesn't bother me!

Unless it ruins the thing I'm working on. Then everyone including me is probably super dead. So lets hope everything here is waterproof.

Secure the fire pumps and the eductor! What is that joke my brother said? Ask the army to secure a building and they surround it with fortifications. Ask the Marines to secure a building and they kick down the door and shoot everyone. Ask the Air-force to secure a building and they take out a lease.

Ask the Navy to secure a building and they....lock the door and turn off the lights!

...That probably isn't what I'm supposed to do here.

Though I guess that would help keep the boarders out.

Take a look at the Eductor to see if it is doing it suctioning thing right.

Looking at the pumps, you can see that they're definitely running. The motor controllers have two lights each. All are lit. The top reads 'Pump Ready', the bottom reads 'Running'. There's three buttons on each controller, the top reads 'EMERGENCY RUN', The middle reads 'STOP', and the bottom reads 'RUN'. There's a small rotating dial with 3 positions on both: Remote, LOC-REM, Local, it is presently in LOC-REM on both. There's a sign on each that reads: WARNING! IF SECUREING LOCALLY, CHECK SUCTION VALVES HAVE SHUT AUTOMATICALLY. IF NOT, OPERATE SUCTION VALVES BY HAND.
   The eductor's plaque reads: IN ORDER TO START: CHECK OPEN DISCHARGE, OPEN FIREMAIN, OPEN SUCTION
                                            IN ORDER TO SECURE: SHUT SUCTION, THEN SHUT FIREMAIN.
   There's a light board on the bulkhead just above the eductor's Firemain valve. There's 4 lights with buttons below and only one is lit. The layout is the basic RC layout. The present suction is right below you. The gurgling gets louder.

Spoiler: MMNFR Crane (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RFRS/RFRE (click to show/hide)

Personnel (Admin) (2-90-0-S)

Try aiming at the bottom of the fires this time and continue to fight them while also trying to not get burned.

You aim at the base of the same fire. [VIG 2][VIG=1][10] You maintain control of the firehose ((It's gonna get harder to old the hose as time wears on, I'll let you decide when you want to swap with the person behind you)). That specific fire appears to be losing size and heat.

Spoiler: ENS Debson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: FIRE FIRE FIRE (click to show/hide)

#1ER=>#4a SA

Give an exasperated sigh.

"GM2, what the hell do you think a fire hose is gonna do to a boarder? Are there no guns in here?"

If anyone is eager to use firearms it's a gunner's mate. Wrangle the GMs and assemble a ragtag security detail to protect the diesel at all costs. If no guns are found in the magazine or the machinery spaces, take the detail to the armory.

Giving an exaggerated, exasperated sigh, you inquire about the guns. "We got guns sir, but ship's doctrine states to use whatever's lying around if you can't get your hands on guns. There weren't quite enough for all of us to have guns. Right Johnny?"
   "Right!"
   "Well who does have them?" You ask.
   "Arnold, Gimmaro, Juan, Macdonald, and Monty. The rest of us have various instruments to use as blunt objects or me and my fire hose." To emphasize, the other members heave up their weapons. You figure you're pretty lucky to not have been brained just now with that fire extinguisher one of them is carrying or shot by the others.. All in all, there's one rifle, two shotguns, an SMG, and a pistol accompanied by five others wielding large wrenches, a sledgehammer, a fire extinguisher, a lagging knife, and a loading rail.

Spoiler: LTJG Sorn (click to show/hide)

Gun Deck (FR-117)

? Repeates what he did last turn, blasting boarders and their ships with fire and then cleaning up with water.

[CHN 7][CHN=2][13] You can't quite get all the ships with this spell, but you definitely get #4 and #5.
   BOOM
   Ships 4 and 5 ignite in flames. Ship 4 detonates after the fuel catches fire. Ship 5 has its fire burn for several moments before being put out.
   [CHN 5][CHN=2][17] The incoming wave hits all of the ships. Ship 1 is dashed away from the Invincible, losing a handful of men to the chilly water. Ship 2 has her penetrating gangway snapped off, slicing one sailor asunder, and pushing the ship away, taking a couple of sailors to the waves. Ship 3 is lightly jostled. Ship 4, despite detonation was still floating. Until the wave crashed over the side that is. There was no way anyone was still alive, but this ensures it. Ship 5 is swamped, taking several men to Davy Jones's Locker. Ship 6 is largely unaffected.

[+30 EXP]

Spoiler: ENS (REDACTED) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Boarding Parties (click to show/hide)
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2021, 01:24:02 pm »

? Puts a point into might and repeats what he did last turn.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2021, 01:36:30 pm »

Stand, move beside the door (standing against the wall), firmly grasp the handle, and electrify it. "Sure, come on in. It isn't locked."

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2021, 08:43:33 pm »

Get the team to follow me back to aux machinery to defend the diesels. While I'm there, call up DCC.

"Central, aux machinery, the compartment is flooding and I need either a repair party here or I need the bilge suction up and running."

If there's time left after those above actions, go inspect the other diesel to figure out what is wrong with it
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2021, 02:37:03 am »

Ha, that is pretty idiot proof. It is like whoever built these things saw this coming. No way I can screw this up!

Shut suction, check if suction valves have closed automatically!

(Text color lets say red.)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2021, 03:55:26 am »

Keep fighting the fires focusing on the largest ones.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Dire Times on the Invincible [5/5]
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2022, 07:53:11 pm »

FWD MAGAZINE

Stand, move beside the door (standing against the wall), firmly grasp the handle, and electrify it. "Sure, come on in. It isn't locked."

"Sure! Come on in! It isn't locked." There's a pause for a few seconds. In that time, you grasp the handle and concentrate on drawing electrons from the door handle. [CHN1][CHN=1][AUTOPASS]. The handle heats up initially to be slightly warmer than room temperature. That is, until the door handle turns slightly, then jerks suddenly. There's two dull thuds and a loud smack. [11] The handle shoots a shower of sparks and heats up quickly to unbearable temperatures. Your hand is burnt. [-1 HP]

[+35 EXP (1 Kill + 1 CHK)]

#2RC (Generators LL)

Ha, that is pretty idiot proof. It is like whoever built these things saw this coming. No way I can screw this up!

Shut suction, check if suction valves have closed automatically!

(Text color lets say red.)

The suction valve shuts! Surprisingly. Considering the whole everything going wrong bit. Except, there's a loud snap and pop as though breaking bones and rending of flesh. Oh no. The Eductor roars as the firemain shoots through, some vaporizing due to the lack of pressure in the suction chamber.
   Shutting the suction for the Pumps, they automatically stop and an alarm sounds. The alarm stops after a couple seconds. The lights brighten a bit and the announcement comes over the announcing circuit. "Starting up #2 Reactor. Mechanical Division, light off #2 Reactor Compartment!" Looks like you did your job well!

[+15 EXP (3 Subtasks)]

Spoiler: RFRS/RFRE (click to show/hide)

Keep fighting the fires focusing on the largest ones.

((I'll be reducing the number and size of the fires for the sake of time))

You aim at the base of the same fire. [VIG 3][VIG=1][16] You maintain control of the firehose. That specific fire goes out. The removal of heat from the area starts to make the other fires go down in size. Some of the smaller fires get flooded out by the water on the deck.

[+10 EXP (1 CHK + 1 Subtask)]

#1ER=>#4a SA

Get the team to follow me back to aux machinery to defend the diesels. While I'm there, call up DCC.

"Central, aux machinery, the compartment is flooding and I need either a repair party here or I need the bilge suction up and running."

If there's time left after those above actions, go inspect the other diesel to figure out what is wrong with it

[2]"No can do. Sir. This is our post. You got your own guys!" Realizing that you're out of your jurisdiction, you retreat back to the Shaft Alley. [17] Upon calling up central, you are informed that Dewatering team 5 is on its way down from REP 5.
   [SMT2][SMT=2][AUTOPASS] You notice that #2 diesel is in fact physically prevented from running via a bit of wire keeping the breaker open and the start switch literally missing entirely. On #1 Diesel, the breaker failed to shut, but could still be started by switch.

[+5 EXP (1CHK)]

Gun Deck (FR-117)

? Puts a point into might and repeats what he did last turn.

[CHN 6][CHN=2][18] You manage to ignite all the remaining ships in a plume of fire. [7] Ship 1 burns long, killing a handful of sailors without being put out. [3] Ship 2 burns long and bright. The screams of the anguished, dying sailors can be heard and no efforts to put it out have yielded any effect. [1] Ship 3's fuel and ammo stowage detonates, sending a huge shockwave through the ship and waters around it. It hangs limply off the side of the fo'c'sle with any remaining sailors presumably vaporized. [15] Ship 5 manages to put out the fire with only slight burns. [9] Ship 6 is set ablaze and burns all the way up until she impacts the hull. There's a few sailors that have been killed. [2] Her bow is crunched against some thicker armor and she begins to take on water without penetrating the hull.
   [CHN 4][CHN=2][10] Your wave is basically just a splash against the hulls of the boarding ships, doing nothing. Ship 3's penetrating node shears and she disappears into the inky depths, taking anyone that might have survived with her.

[+45 EXP (1 Kill + 1 Subtask + 1 CHK)]

Hey, sorry about being late with this updoot. Work is work and my free time and energy levels are suboptimal. As of today, recruiting new characters is done and these characters will be the main 5 for the forseeable future. I'll try to update it more over the next couple weeks, but please bear with me.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2022, 08:08:07 pm »

"I can't believe you fell for that!"
Rush out the door, prepared to taser anyone left out there. If it's clear, frisk the fallen for weapons I can use, and start making my way back down the ship.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2022, 04:26:20 am »

Keep fighting the fires.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2022, 12:41:09 pm »

? repeats what he did last turn.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2022, 10:39:49 am »

Yay!

...Now what?

Maybe we really are doing the "lights off and lock the door" thing.

I suppose the thing to get out of the way first is check if that gurgling sound is gone.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2022, 11:17:28 am »

P-WAY OUTSIDE FWD MAGAZINE

"I can't believe you fell for that!"
Rush out the door, prepared to taser anyone left out there. If it's clear, frisk the fallen for weapons I can use, and start making my way back down the ship.

"I can't believe you fell for that!" You open the door and see small flames, large scorch marks and over a dozen unconscious/dead bodies. Looking at the other side of the door, you see that the skin from the hand of the one that tried the door handle is stuck to it. He himself is several feet away, dead. Several others are scattered around him, also just as dead. There's a small amount of water on the deck from the hole in the hull they came from. Around the hole are more fires that are slowly dying from seawater splashes. You can see this from the blasted out door that separated the Fo'c'sle You're now alone with the magazine still not functioning the way its supposed to.
   [16] There's several carbines and pistols scattered about the bodies. One of them had a general purpose machinegun that has almost no practicality in this environment. It is now a burnt twisted scrap of metal and shattered wood.
   The 1MC Roars to life and spouts out: AIR CONTACTS SPOTTED CLOSING DISTANCE. GUN QUARTERS GUN QUARTERS. SET GUN CONDITION BRAVO. SET MATERIAL CONDITION JULIET. ALL REPAIR LOCKERS EXPEDITE SETTING CONDITION JULIET THROUGHOUT THE SHIP.

#2RC (Generators LL)

Yay!

...Now what?

Maybe we really are doing the "lights off and lock the door" thing.

I suppose the thing to get out of the way first is check if that gurgling sound is gone.

Well... There's no longer the gurgling sound. The water in the bilge is swiftly turning deep crimson. There's also little bits of pale flesh floating in the water. A senior 3rd class runs down and operates some valves associated with the generators. He yells for you to go help start up. There's only really 2 things that need started up: The Feed Pumps and the Generators. The machines need to come up before Reactor Power reaches 25%, else she'll hit her power limit for no generators and subsequently scram out again.

Spoiler: Light Off #2 RC (click to show/hide)

Keep fighting the fires.

[VIG 4][VIG 1][12] You try your best to keep the hose on target, but you can't quite keep it on target. Feeling the effect of prolonged firefighting, you fall to your knee. "RELIEVE THE NOZZLEMAN!" shouts the fire team leader. Behind you the #1 Hoseman reaches forward and takes the nozzle from you before re-engaging the fire. You are shuffled back to the plug, where the plugman makes his way to be the last hoseman. You can hear from the shouts that the fire you had started the fight with has gone out. The hose moves a bit as they continue on to the next one.
   The 1MC roars to life with the aforementioned message.

[+10 Subtask Complete]

#1ER=>#4a SA

Quote from: Vivalas

You Take a moment to reflect on the present predicament. [IDLE]

Gun Deck (FR-117)

? repeats what he did last turn.

[CHN 5][CHN=2][4] You attempt to set the ships on fire again, but instead you set the 5" Gun to your right on fire, killing a crewman and wounding 2 others. The fire causes it to fire. The round splashing uselessly in the water about 50 feet from the enemy Battlecruiser. Oops.
   [CHN 3][CHN=2][14] You summon a small wave to wash away the sailors on the surviving ships. It's not gonna swamp them, but it might flood them a bit. [6] Ship 1 is struck and take on a bit of water. Her crew begins desperately bailing the water out with only a couple of sailors lost. [5] Ship 2 take on enough water to start passively taking on water. She begins to sink, despite her crew's best effort at bailing her out. You estimate she has two turns before she slips beneath the surface. [10] Ship 5 Begins to sink, much like 2, but much faster, but the last of the crew gets aboard the Invincible. She has one turn by your best estimate. [11] Ship 6 is hit by another wave, sending her just a bit deeper. She has about 1 more turn before she sinks. The crew begins to abandon ship as they realize they aren't going to make it back to the Hartu.
   After a second of watching the ships sink, you see a cluster of planes flying in from the Bratavian mainland. They're too far to see properly with the unaided eye. Calling up gun condition Bravo requires the AA emplacements to be manned up. You're roughly amidship and aft on the STBD side, so the nearest AA is #4 on the STBD side Stern.

[30 (Enemies Killed + 1 CHK)]

[Spoiler=AIR CONTACTS]Planes inbound: 15 Large, 30 small Turns to recognition distance 3.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2022, 11:21:52 am »

We're probably screwed anyway.
Look up in the air for these supposed planes. As soon as I can see them, try to channel my electricity powers to create bolts of lightning to down them. Meanwhile, keep creeping my way back down the length of the ship looking out for survivors to collect.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2022, 04:35:18 am »

Continue to aid in the fire fighting and do whatever it is that a plug man does.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4