Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Battleship: Dire Times on the Invincible [5/5]  (Read 3797 times)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Battleship: Dire Times on the Invincible [5/5]
« on: December 16, 2021, 08:57:32 pm »

At approximately 1538, the first salvo of shells impact the RDS Invincible. There wasn't even time for a call to brace to be sounded. The impact visibly moved the ship, rolling it slightly on its side, before it came to rest on its keel. The hull was damaged in places, but inside, things were different. Inside things were totally not good. Things would be going awry in several spaces and the crew, henceforth the protagonists of this story would have to take action quickly.

((I'll be making a roll for your starting status, so don't worry. I'm not trying to merc you straight out the gate.))

Recruiting Thread

DAMAGE CONTROL CENTRAL

After a brief moment of gathering their wits, the chief engineer sounds the General Quarters alarm. The alarm sounds out.
BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG
GENERAL QUARTERS GENERAL QUARTERS, ALL HANDS MAN BATTLESTATIONS.
BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG
GENERAL QUARTERS, GENERAL QUARTERS ALL HANDS MAN BATTLESTATIONS. ALL REPAIR LOCKERS MAKE MANNED AND READY REPORTS TO CENTRAL CONTROL VIA DESIGNATED PHONE CIRCUITS.

Quote from: Maximum Spin

DCC erupts into chaos as members of the watchteam scramble to grab their flashgear and report to their rep lockers, one Petty Officer from RE literally sprinting out the door to Central. All around are alarms and phone circuits are being connected. The standing EOOW barks orders at the phone talkers. Your Repair locker is Repair 3, located just forward of the Mess deck. [5][5] You have been struck in the gut, leaving a bad feeling, but not much else. You are stunned for a half second until you whip around to see a young seaman struggling to put on all his gear and run at the same time.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

#2RC

Quote from: Stirk

[7][7] You are hit by a flying wrench in your left leg. Aside from a momentary light pain, there's no effect on you. All around sirens wail from the sudden shock of being hit. On the announcing circuit for the plant, the Watch Officer announces: "Scramming #2 Reactor. Rig for Reduced Steam, Rig for Reduced Electrical." #2RC is now abuzz with activity as all watchstanders scramble to perform their actions. You were learning things from the Chief Reactor Watch in the feed control room (middle level, just stbd of centerline and aft of the RX) just prior, who turns to you and says: "Go secure the eductor, 7a and 7b motor driven fire pumps!" Before saying another word, he's running off leaving you (The greenest guy in the room) to your own devices. There's people scurrying around hither and thither doing their actions.

Galley

Quote from: King Zultan

[3][4] Your right arm is hit by some falling debris from the overhead, giving you a medium sized scratch which starts to ooze blood almost immediately. You are in no danger of dying. The general quarters alarm sounds and everyone starts running to get to their repair lockers in a timely manner. Yours is Rep 3, just forward of your location in the next compartment. A couple of younger sailors look lost and confused and scared as everyone sprints off to perform their duties. You are left at your table, which is separate from the enlisted mess by a plexiglass wall. The other officers either having already ate, not going to eat, or running to their battlestations.

#1ER

Quote from: Vivalas

[2][3] As you are touring #1 Engine Room Upper Level before taking the watch from #1 Officer, the ship rocked, causing you to be thrown down to Lower Level on a large valve. You impact with your chest, knocking the wind out of you and cracking 2 ribs. It is several seconds before you can muster the strength and breath to move. Before you can do much, the on watch watch officer yells over the Comms: "Scram in #2 Reactor." Not even 3 seconds later, steam begins to drift in from #1RC. A couple seconds later, the comms erupt in: "Steam Line Rupture, #1RC! Scramming #1 Reactor!". After a second or so, the whole plant goes dark and eerily quiet.

Gun Deck

Quote from: BlackPaladin

[3][8] You are patrolling the main deck when the volley hits. Your Right arm is struck with shrapnel from the hull. It doesn't hurt, though. Strange. All around GMs and BMs scramble to man the guns and other battlestations. Nobody takes notice of the nameless and indescribable Officer on deck. Your place is in Fire Control Room. This is just like the simulations from back in the Le Marva Training Center. All around are screaming seamen who are all in various states of panic/injury. In several places small fires are starting from the explosives.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 06:48:36 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: Dire Times on the Invincible [5/-]
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 01:30:35 am »

Run to my proper position and report in.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 01:54:38 am »

Well shit.

Summon (insert X number of years appropriate for this world) years of naval tradition to curse the CIC watch team with every expletive in the book for letting us get caught with our pants down, before summoning the strength to run to wherever ( edit: I took time to look at the map more closely and aux machinery is about the same distance from me as probably-radioactive-primary-steam so yes do that  :P ) aux machinery and the emergency diesels are.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:09:06 am by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 05:13:29 am »

Quickly I must run to my repair locker and grab all the stuff inside of it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 05:54:18 am »

Nathan grabs and pockets the wrench, more to keep it from hitting him again than for potential utility.

Scram is like to run away so we're stopping the reactor. Fire pumps are like fire men who are pumps instead of men. Eductors are like uh...ducts...that eject stuff out. I totally have this handled! No way we're all dying horribly today!

He tries to remember which was closest of the three. He then heads toward it in order to secure it. It doesn't seem like he was given them in order of importance, so closest it is! I'm sure I'll remember how to secure it when I get there!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 12:27:10 pm »

? runs to the armory and sees what he can find. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 01:42:24 pm »

DAMAGE CONTROL CENTRAL=>P-WAY (FR-93)

Run to my proper position and report in.

Running out of DCC, you approach the ladderwell ((Stairs. Proper ladders are just ladders)) to the 2nd deck. After making your way to the P-way at the bottom, the 1MC ((mass announcing circuit)) roars to life from the bridge. "ROUNDS INCOMING, STARBOARD SIDE! BRACE FOR SHOCK!" Some sailors press their arms against the bulkheads, some lay on the floor, others still ran for their rep locker. A second later the rounds slam home, jarring the ship again. Aft of you, the P-way collapses, fires starting as electrical wires spark and ignite the lagging on pipes and bulkheads. Beneath the collapse, several seamen are crushed, some calling for help while others are either dead or mercifully unconscious. You yourself are not injured in the collapse.

Spoiler: ENS Chadwick (click to show/hide)

#2RC

Nathan grabs and pockets the wrench, more to keep it from hitting him again than for potential utility.

Scram is like to run away so we're stopping the reactor. Fire pumps are like fire men who are pumps instead of men. Eductors are like uh...ducts...that eject stuff out. I totally have this handled! No way we're all dying horribly today!

He tries to remember which was closest of the three. He then heads toward it in order to secure it. It doesn't seem like he was given them in order of importance, so closest it is! I'm sure I'll remember how to secure it when I get there!

Pocketing the wrench you try and remember your short indoc to division where you were showed these things in the first place. [SMT=2][8] You can't quite remember where those pieces of equipment are. You do remember it was in lower level, but that's it. Could be anywhere. Generator Room, Primary Pump Room, Feed Pump Room. Meanwhile everyone continues to scramble about, bringing machines down, shutting valves, the likes. To the STBD, is Generator UL, to the PORT is Auxiliaries UL and the ladderwell to Feed Pumps. After a moment of deliberation, the ship rocks a second time. [4] You are thrown off your feet and into a rack of valves and small machinery. [3][6] You receive naught but a scratch on your  arm, despite there being things there that could have impaled you. That said you are stuck for a moment.
   The 8MC announces: "Steam line rupture, #1 propulsion plant! Scramming #1 Reactor." Then the lights go out. In the darkness only battle lantern light is visible, showing only vital machinery parts around you.

Spoiler: MMNFR Crane (click to show/hide)

Galley

Quickly I must run to my repair locker and grab all the stuff inside of it.

Getting up from your table, you run the 30 feet to the bulkhead door. After getting there, you grab a flash hood and flash gloves. Donning them quickly, you take your post as a free and able body. Roll call is sounded as people are whisked away to join this team or that. At the end of roll call, as though to punctuate it, the second salvo hits, caving in the bulkhead at the stbd side, killing several members of the DC teams [15] but not Debson. Reports start flying out from DCC:
"FIRE FIRE FIRE! CLASS A FIRE REPORTED IN PASSAGE 2-96-1-Q. COLLAPSE REPORTED IN PASSAGE 2-96-1-Q. FLOODING FLOODING FLOODING. FLOODING IN COMPARTMENT 6-125-4-M, #4a SHAFT ALLEY! SCRAM IN #2 PROPULSION PLANT. SCRAM IN #1 PROPULSION PLANT. FIRE FIRE FIRE! CLASS A FIRE REPORTED ON GUN DECK!"
   The LT in charge points to you. "Miss Debson, we require you to man a team. All are down a few and our supply of fresh bodies is... dead or dying." The teams are Fire Team 3 and Shoring Team 1. Dewatering team 2 has been crushed by the bulkhead.

Spoiler: ENS Debson (click to show/hide)

#1ER=>#4a SA

Well shit.

Summon (insert X number of years appropriate for this world) years of naval tradition to curse the CIC watch team with every expletive in the book for letting us get caught with our pants down, before summoning the strength to run to wherever ( edit: I took time to look at the map more closely and aux machinery is about the same distance from me as probably-radioactive-primary-steam so yes do that  :P ) aux machinery and the emergency diesels are.

Yelling every known expletive known to man (that man being you) you sprint off towards the bulkhead for the Shaft Alley #4a. Once arriving in #4a SA, a crusty old first class starts yelling about flooding. There's the sound of rushing water and upon inspection under the battle lantern light, the bilge level is steadily creeping up. Given the darkness, the source cannot be ascertained.
   The second salvo hits and rocks the ship. [13] You manage to maintain your footing. #2 Emergency diesel generator has failed to start for an unknown reason. Sailors are yelling and running in the darkness.

Spoiler: LTJG Sorn (click to show/hide)

Gun Deck=>Armory

? runs to the armory and sees what he can find. 

Running past the guns as they are being crewed up, you dodge and weave around the gun barrels as they swivel to return fire. The Bratavian ships off the STBD side fire again, their shells arcing. You have prescious few seconds to register that they are going to hit before the shells impact. [13] The shells land everywhere but near you, knocking out several of the smaller guns and igniting small fires. Entering the ladderwell to go down to the armory, you see a shitload of light machine guns, disassembled .50 cal machine guns, assault rifles, shotguns, pistols, and a small range of man portable missiles. Nothing ship killing, but definitely enough to stop a small boat.

Spoiler: ENS (REDACTED) (click to show/hide)
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 02:50:57 pm »

Hell or high water be damned, we're gonna restore power. Try the #1 diesel on the other side of the machinery space and failing that, pick up a phone and call #2 maneuvering, inquiring as to the status of the #2 reactor and why it's getting scrammed.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 03:06:42 pm »

Find a phone or convenient passerby to report about the collapse, then determine in my own mind whether my personal duty is better served by circling back to help or going on to what I was doing. Whichever is officially more important is what I should do. If I decide to help the people, do so by applying the laying on of hands while chanting a sutra or something that at least sounds like one.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 03:11:18 pm »

Well that is inconvenient. Wait a second I'm a mage! It is probably not the time to ask someone else but I can probably just read their minds to find out-

CRASH

You know my magic can probably do something about that too. Seems like this crashing is going to be a thing for a while. Lets see what do I have to work with...I guess I can't borrow enough metal so I'll just have to use other stuff.

After working to free himself from the rack Nathan works to cast two spells. First he attempts to make an Air Cushion armor to keep things from running into and murdering him or vice versa. Second he attempts to magnetize his boots to the ground so that he'll stop falling over...hopefully in a way that lets him control them to move around.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 03:21:01 pm »

? Grabs a rifle, shotgun, A brace of pistols, Ammo for all three, and several of every type of “man portable missle, and a combat knife.  He then returns to the gun deck and enchants the bullets to explode when they hit something.   
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2021, 03:59:11 am »

"This all seems to be going really poorly!"
Go meet up with Fire team 3 and help fight whatever fire they're fighting.

(Also shouldn't I have the flash gloves and hood in my innovatory?)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2021, 03:06:59 pm »

P-WAY (FR-93)

Find a phone or convenient passerby to report about the collapse, then determine in my own mind whether my personal duty is better served by circling back to help or going on to what I was doing. Whichever is officially more important is what I should do. If I decide to help the people, do so by applying the laying on of hands while chanting a sutra or something that at least sounds like one.

Everyone around you begin to try digging the men out of the rubble, some themselves being caught in the rubble or on fire. Looking around for a phone, the announcement for the collapse had already sounded, as had the numerous fires and flooding. Now, you're just sat there wondering if you should attempt to dig your shipmates out of the rubble or report to the rep locker. Ultimately, the rep locker wins out, your instructor in the academy having instilled in you the priorities for operation aboard the ship: Ship>Shipmate>Self. You take off to the rep locker, earning some ire with the lower enlisted. Though given the situation, you would not have been wrong either way.
   After a bit of running, the 1MC announces:
BOARDING PARTY INBOUND! RIG THE SHIP TO REPEL BOARDING!
   You reach the Mess Decks. All around, junior NCOs and officers are barking orders to the scrambling lower enlisted to go fight the casualties happening all over the ship. You see ENS Debson and her deerlike facial features running to join Fireteam 3. The team disappears into the STBD P-way, bypassing the collapsed section, entirely.

Spoiler: ENS Chadwick (click to show/hide)

#2RC (#2FCR)

Well that is inconvenient. Wait a second I'm a mage! It is probably not the time to ask someone else but I can probably just read their minds to find out-

CRASH

You know my magic can probably do something about that too. Seems like this crashing is going to be a thing for a while. Lets see what do I have to work with...I guess I can't borrow enough metal so I'll just have to use other stuff.

After working to free himself from the rack Nathan works to cast two spells. First he attempts to make an Air Cushion armor to keep things from running into and murdering him or vice versa. Second he attempts to magnetize his boots to the ground so that he'll stop falling over...hopefully in a way that lets him control them to move around.

After freeing yourself in the darkness, another fireman runs into you. He's panicked and it appears heavily bleeding from his right arm, where a shard of metal is lodged. He runs blindly into the near pitch black in the direction of the Generator Room before knocking himself unconscious on a pipe that had been jostled free by that second crashing. Just what in the fuck was going on up there? Now, to take care of people hitting you...
   [CHN 1][CHN=2][AUTOPASS] The making of rudimentary air armor was trivial at best. At the least, it will prevent small missile hazards (like that fucking wrench from less than a minute ago) from hitting you. At most, It might deflect you slightly away from objects.
   [CHN 2][CHN=2][AUTOPASS] The magnetizing of a non ferromagnetic material is less trivial. Still nothing a novice mage as yourself can't handle. Your boots now stick to the deck. The watch officer relays the boarding party announcement over the in plant announcing circuit. The lights come back on not a second later.

[+10 XP]

Spoiler: MMNFR Crane (click to show/hide)

Galley=>P-Way (2-96-4-Q)

"This all seems to be going really poorly!"
Go meet up with Fire team 3 and help fight whatever fire they're fighting.

(Also shouldn't I have the flash gloves and hood in my innovatory?)

((Yeah. Forgot to put that in there, sorry.))

The leader of #3 Fireteam scowls at you as you approach. "Whudda ya want, ma'am? Cain't ya see ah'm busy 'ere. Er 'djya get stabbed 'ith helpin' us?" His accent was deffinitely from waaaay up north. Explaining that you're here to help fight the fires, his expression softens. "Well niw, ah'll be darmed. A khaki 'elpin' us fight tha fire? Well, Tommy just up'n died thar, so 'e could use ya on the nozzle. Ain't tha' righ', Reggie?"
   "Aye." The second man on the hose motions for you to join them and hands you an air tank and mask. Donning the tank and mask to match everyone else, you realize this might be for a while.
   "Ah an' one mar' thing, ma'am. Tha FFEs've been trapped'n tha o'er side o' tha bulkhead. Hope yer ready fer the heat." And with that, the team makes their way down the PORT side P-Way, which is quickly filling with smoke and with lots of accompanying heat. "ON AIR!" the team members activate their air supply as they turn to face the fire, which is swiftly growing to become a conflagration in the central room of this compartment.

Spoiler: ENS Debson (click to show/hide)

#1ER=>#4a SA

Well shit.

Hell or high water be damned, we're gonna restore power. Try the #1 diesel on the other side of the machinery space and failing that, pick up a phone and call #2 maneuvering, inquiring as to the status of the #2 reactor and why it's getting scrammed.

Looking at the Diesel, it lay lifeless in the slowly filling compartment. You attempt to start it manually via the push button. [18] The diesel rumbles a bit, sputtering before roaring to life, bringing the lights back on with several of the auxiliary loads coming back online. The shaft, now visible appears to be windmilling as the ship slows to a halt. The roaring of water into the compartment appears to be from a 1 foot hole in the bulkhead. Several men run from the RC, some with burns.
   After starting the diesel, you call to #2 Maneuvering and ask the Watch Officer what caused the scramming of #2 RX. "We don't know. We sent the instrument watch to place Group India rods on the Hold Bus just before the first hit. We sent the Mechanical Auxiliaries Watch to find out what's happened and we think something happened out there."

[+10 XP]

Spoiler: LTJG Sorn (click to show/hide)

Armory=>Gun Deck

? Grabs a rifle, shotgun, A brace of pistols, Ammo for all three, and several of every type of “man portable missle, and a combat knife.  He then returns to the gun deck and enchants the bullets to explode when they hit something.   

You can't seem to decide what to grab, so you decide to grab everything! [MGT 4][MGT=0][6] Grabbing 2 pistols and their holsters and slinging them to your sides (On Chest), a rifle and a shotgun. The missiles call to you. Given that you already are carrying a lot of stuff, you can't really carry all the types. In fact, there's actually no way that you can carry all this and a missile launcher. So the missiles will have to stay.
   [CHN 2][CHN=2][AUTOPASS] You want all the projectiles to explode, so you enchant the bullets to be able to explode on impact. And it appears to have worked, the bullets taking on a yellow glow.

[+5 XP]

Spoiler: ENS (REDACTED) (click to show/hide)

((I'm going to adjust the difficulty scaling for the checks. I remembered that I raised the cap to 10 and I'm still operating that It's only 5. I shall fix that in the OOC))
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 05:01:07 pm by Sosoku234 »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2021, 04:42:08 pm »

? Goes back to his post, and makes himself useful. 

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2021, 05:47:09 pm »

Get distracted, look for boarders and try to fight them with magic electroshock hands.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4