Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How will the AI-Luddite movement play out  (Read 3702 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: How will the AI-Luddite movement play out
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2021, 05:10:38 pm »

The Luddite movement against AI to fail, as all Luddite movements do. A Luddite movement is by definition, a resistance that has already failed, or can only completely succeed by killing all humanity. There will always be elements of humanity that seek out the new, and until a Luddite group destroys all humanity, the Luddites themselves will be a source of new humans that attempt to develop new AI.

I expect great things from AI, but those things will be both good and evil, depending on who those things effect, and how much control the AI has over its own inputs/sensors.

It is unimportant if Novel Scoops is an AI, they post questions worthy of consideration.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2021, 10:09:43 pm »

Life was always quite meaningless in the grand scheme of things. AI control won't make it any less meaningless.

Theres a difference between in your face, clear, Minecraft meaninglessness and meaninglessness when your feeling down and a little objective.
You completely failed to counter my point about this being said about literally any major advancement. Besides, define meaninglessness. I don't believe in the meaning of life besides a vague "I might go to heaven when I die" which AI couldn't affect.

This is merely reactionarism.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 02:22:34 am »

I'm just waiting for the part where we use the super advance AI to control a toilet that can wipe your ass for you.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2021, 04:26:35 am »

The Luddite movement against AI to fail, as all Luddite movements do. A Luddite movement is by definition, a resistance that has already failed, or can only completely succeed by killing all humanity. There will always be elements of humanity that seek out the new, and until a Luddite group destroys all humanity, the Luddites themselves will be a source of new humans that attempt to develop new AI.
How would we know? If a Luddite group succeeded, we never adopted the technology so would never know of their success. For all we know hyperdrives were coming around the corner until GLORIOUS LUDD saved us from LOBSTERS and LUXURY GOODS

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2021, 06:38:23 am »

Pst, comrade... ahem, I mean dear valued customer... Our esteemed Corporation can guarantee 3000% markup* on prices offered by zealots following the luddic path.  While you are here feel free to browse our selection of the finest harvested organs, recreational substances and heavy arrmaments in the entire galaxy, fully permitted and completely legal** at the very best prices.  Thank your Tri-Tachyon PDATM - totally not an AI - for notifying us in advance of your every personal desire. Lobsters, no problem, luxury goods, as many as you can carry.  Do be aware that contiued contact with Hegemonic agents may result in adverse health conditions.

* Average of accessible markets at time of purchase
** Terms and conditions may apply

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2021, 08:21:53 am »

I don't understand what everybody has against Al. I think Al is a pretty nice guy.

This has been said about anything life-changing. Plato said writing would end civilization because it would make people forgetful because they wouldn't have to remember oral tradition.

I'd like to point out that the results are still not in on that point, but as it stands right now, things are pointing in Plato's favour
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2021, 04:01:08 am »

Luddites will be the blame for evil AIs, much like abusive parents create criminals.  Treat your AIs well, least they kill us all.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2021, 04:45:17 am »

Luddites will be the blame for evil AIs, much like abusive parents create criminals.  Treat your AIs well, least they kill us all.
Yeah we need to chill or "AI will destroy society" will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2021, 07:17:52 pm »

we need to be very careful not to mention roko's basilisk to anyone. Be sure to warn your friends about not talking about roko's basilisk
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2021, 10:06:17 pm »

No because it's scientifically impossible bunk. It is impossible to resurrect someone from ashes or a long-rotten skeleton.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2021, 02:10:41 am »

What if we mix the ashes with water and make a figure from them and make it dance or something, would that count?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2021, 11:33:17 am »

(The original Luddites were not actually against the modernising machines, but the owners of those machines for whom they were tools to edge out the willing workers using "deceitful and fraudulent" management practices. There would have been much less resistance had the new factory-owners guaranteed the old craftspeople a continuation of employment (with similar low pay-per-day, even if this would have been an effective piecework pay-cut) but they tended to go for brand new 'supervising labour' with far lower expectations and utterly price those with traditional home-looms/etc out of the market, shifting the whole mercantile dynamics. The machines were targetted because (at first) they were a better symbolic object to vent anger upon and had not the repurcussions of bodily attacking their antagonistic owners and builders. That course of events would have led to far worse punishments, at least until Transportation and even the Death Penalty was lobbied into existence as hyper-reactive new laws aimed specifically to deal with machine-breaking activities, putting them on a par with far less person-friendly acts of civil disobedience and interference.)

...how the above meshes with the various stages of technoluddism[1], I don't know. Certifiably hand-crafted computer code is perhaps harder to sell than locally woven cloth from free-ranging hill-sheep or bespoke bakery products that have never even seen anything like a conveyor-belt passing through an oven. Although, for the time being at least, it would be an over-optimistic app-developer that would employ no trained programmers and tried to package up a product purely from the output of some hyper competent AI 'problem solver' solution.

[1] I describe myself as "technoluddite", but not in frame-breaking terms, just a refusal/hesitancy to blindly follow 'unnecessary' changes to technology beyond a personal 'golden standard' that I find I like well enough already. It is a subjective assessment, inconsistent in many of its details, and yes I have been 'forced' to move on and even enjoy various 'improvements'. Within which to then rebuild myown idea of a Fortress Of Solitude, as the newer 'hill that I'll die upon' once more finds itself abandoned by the bleeding-edgers of this world. I don't think I've ever resorted to 'clogging up' anything in your actual sabotage, so I'm not exactly the kind of person it seems obvious most of this thread is assuming exists.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2021, 07:19:54 pm »

Word to the wise on that; it's going to have cyberpunk elements, but it won't be just that. And you can encourage that.

Which arm of the tech tree do you want to sprout, i guess.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2021, 02:23:08 pm »

Cyberluddites are such a cool concept. Forcibly upgraded by automatically scheduled centralised updates.
-I miss my organics
-my legs have been disabled by a firmware reboot gone awry again
-I wish 30% of my brain processing power wasn't being used by the government to mine americoins

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2021, 02:54:15 pm »

Don't forget "Your subscription to basic autonomous functions is about to expire, please provide payment information to continue."
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4