Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I tried to fill my reservoir…  (Read 1273 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I tried to fill my reservoir…
« on: December 11, 2021, 01:43:30 am »

Well, I tried to fill my reservoir, but it filled up to quick.  I guess I should have had the flow limit turned on when the water was getting a few z-levels from the top, but I thought I didn’t need it.  Instead, I waited until the reservoir was nearly full and then ordered the pulling of the lever to close the aqueduct outlet bridge.  The game then selected some peasant, who had just dropped off some refuse at the far corner of the map, to do the job.  I got a door install on the reservoir room just in time (water was starting to pool just inside the doorway while the door was being installed).  The room then filled with 7/7 water, and started flowing up through the holes I’d made for the future installment of wells and out onto the floor of the well room, through the door and into where the hospital is going to be, and out into the hallway.  Then, I said:  “Fuck this!”, and ordered the lever for the hatch at the bottom of the reservoir to be pulled.  Luckily, this one didn’t take forever like the last one did.

I’m currently draining the reservoir, after which I’m going to try filling it again.

My problem is this: Mud.

Is there any way I can clean the mud out of the well room, hospital, and hallway?  I’m prepared to use DFHack, if necessary.

Thank you in advance.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I tried to fill my reservoir…
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 05:53:07 am »

The "clean" command can remove mud, but it doesn't seem to be selective.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 06:26:10 am »

You could construct floors on the mud, then remove/deconstruct them. That should take care of the mud.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 08:27:40 am »

The "clean" command can remove mud, but it doesn't seem to be selective.
There is also a "spotclean" command that can clean individual tiles.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 10:08:05 am »

Building floors on mud probably only works correctly if you're quick enough to do it before moss has grown on the mud. Once there's moss there you're probably going to get soil instead when the floor is removed.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 03:06:53 pm »

Building floors on mud probably only works correctly if you're quick enough to do it before moss has grown on the mud. Once there's moss there you're probably going to get soil instead when the floor is removed.

For future reference, does this turn the whole tile to soil or just cover it with mud.  If the former, I might try wetting a stone-floored room with buckets, waiting for moss to grow, constructing a floor, then removing it to yield a soil-floored room that I can use for farming (without ever having to get it wet again).

Currently, I don’t have any mud (or at least I think I don’t…), all I have is a bunch of tiles with 1/7 water.  Mud should be coming when they evaporate.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 03:43:31 pm »

Building floors gets rid of the 1/7 water too, if you don't want to wait for evaporation.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 11:13:46 pm »

For future reference, does this turn the whole tile to soil or just cover it with mud.  If the former, I might try wetting a stone-floored room with buckets, waiting for moss to grow, constructing a floor, then removing it to yield a soil-floored room that I can use for farming (without ever having to get it wet again).
You only need to get the floor muddy once to farm on it. The only reason you'd need to get it wet again is if you somehow removed the mud.

Speaking of which, wiki says smoothing or engraving stone removes mud.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 04:53:18 am »

Channel away the floor and rebuild a new floor with blocks. It'll never get muddy again!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 05:41:43 am »

Ziusudra is correct. Engraving and smoothing removes mud (but won't be attempted if moss has replaced the stone floor, so you have to be quick about it).

When floors built on moss are removed the revealed floor turns to soil: it doesn't result in a stone floor covered by mud. In the reverse direction, cutting down a cavern tree turns the floor tile it stood upon into stone (without mud on top of it), so caverns will eventually run out of trees unless you muddy them every few hundred years or so.

I can also mentioned that I experimented with the "liquids" command yesterday and found that dropping 1/7 water onto the ground with it didn't generate any mud: it evaporated without leaving mud behind, while 2/7 water resulted in mud in the tile the water flowed into (and that mud was formed immediately the water flowed into it, i.e. not when it evaporated).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 09:57:41 am »

I can also mentioned that I experimented with the "liquids" command yesterday and found that dropping 1/7 water onto the ground with it didn't generate any mud: it evaporated without leaving mud behind, while 2/7 water resulted in mud in the tile the water flowed into (and that mud was formed immediately the water flowed into it, i.e. not when it evaporated).

So mud is only created when water first enters a tile, and "liquids" doesn't replicate that. Spawning 1/7 water in the tile above and then letting it fall works.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?