Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort keeps hanging up  (Read 744 times)

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort keeps hanging up
« on: November 19, 2021, 11:59:40 pm »

I'm not using any mods. I disabled tilesets and the crash/hang-up still keeps happening. I don't know what causes it exactly because there are no announcements or anything. There's an elven caravan in the trade depot that I successfully traded with. There's nothing special going on in-game but the game gets stuck and eventually I have to use Task Manager to close DF. I haven't done any raiding, there have been no vampire/werebeast attacks, no sieges, no necromancers.

I've attached my save game in case someone could take a look and find out what's going wrong: (warning it's 97 MB)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5yv91i18flrybdp/CrashingFort.7z/file

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Fort keeps hanging up
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 03:16:21 am »

I get the hang-up too, always on 4th of mid-spring.  No error in the logs, but the gamelog.txt mentions a lot of mineral discoveries which I have not seen in-game, so I suspect it has to do with breaching the caverns somehow.  Ocean thawing weirdly?  Fire in the caverns caused a cave-in?

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 03:37:24 am »

Yes, the ocean is freezing and thawing really weirdly. Maybe that is causing the sea bed to collapse into the caverns? And if that's the case, then there's no salvaging this fort, I guess. Such a pity, it was going so well.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 11:05:25 am »

Yes, the ocean is freezing and thawing really weirdly. Maybe that is causing the sea bed to collapse into the caverns? And if that's the case, then there's no salvaging this fort, I guess. Such a pity, it was going so well.

Yeah, it looks like the beginnings of an awesome fortress.

You seem to be using DFhack.  Perhaps you (or any reader, for that matter!) can use it to cast a figurative butterfly swarm effect and avert the disaster?  Can't do worse than break what is already broken.   ;)