Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A goblin was killed in the tavern, with the candle stick...DF becomes Cluedo  (Read 1324 times)

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was wondering if it is wise to allow anyone into my tavern? Currently I have it set to allow anyone access, because I find the visitors so interesting and fun to watch. The dancing, drinking and all the merry-making. I finally figured out how to set up a metal industry, and I was having fun with that but I always watch announcements at the bottom of the screen. I know a porcupine spearwoman visited and I received an announcement at some point that a goblin was visiting. I was so excited about making gold bars and coins, I lost track of what was going on in the tavern.
I took a casual look at my tavern and there, in the middle of my dance floor was the dead corpse of a goblin! I have NO idea how it got there, who killed him and for what reason. The porcupine woman is still wandering between my temple and the tavern, but hasn't attacked anyone as far as I can tell.

Is there a way for me to see what happened? If I use "k" and look at the corpse it describes everything it is wearing and for some reason the dead goblin was missing a mitten, which I later found in a hallway, very eerie the whole thing. Is there a way for me to see what happened to the goblin? how it was killed and what injuries were sustained? Can I track down the killer somehow? I have no military set up yet, so I am confused what happened in the tavern.

The hilarious thing is, while I am trying to figure out what happened, I got an announcement that a "Goblin representative" is visiting. I followed him down to the tavern and he just found a dead goblin on the floor..should I imprison the goblin? Kill the representative also? I don't want word to spread in the world that we randomly kill artisan goblins in my fort.

I am making a coffin or two to be safe. I will give them a decent burial place I reckon, goblins or not..

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Alcohol poisoning?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website

Is there a way for me to see what happened to the goblin? how it was killed and what injuries were sustained? Can I track down the killer somehow?

Press [r] to see all combat reports.  If anybody from your fortress picked a fight with the goblin, or witnessed such a fight, it'll be listed as "The goblin Ugush Whatevername is fighting!".  You can then [enter] the combat report to see how the fight ended, and scroll up from there to see how it started.

If there is no combat log, and also no blood spilled over the goblin, then perhaps it wasn't combat at all.  Bumber thinks so, too.  You see, one of the possible personality traits people in DF can have is "immoderation", and people who overindulge and drink too strong alcohols too fast may suffer alcohol poisoning.

I am making a coffin or two to be safe. I will give them a decent burial place I reckon, goblins or not..

That's very honourable!

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, if they are not a part of your civ, they will not be buried. You'll just have to stick them in a body pile somewhere.

Or immolate with magma.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

If you waited too long, the combat reports might be empty (I believe the gamelog should still hold the info if you're really interested [it's in the main df folder somewhere]) - but if you see the goblins name anywhere, then it was likely an argument that got out of hand.

I've seen a few goblins argue themselves to death by upsetting a violence-prone dwarf in discussion. It easily happens with military dwarves, as they tend to kill with one hit - what might otherwise just be a loss of goblin teeth. I'd expect their missing mitten to be evidence of this - a sliced-off hand, perhaps? Potentially things even died down, but since visitors won't go to your hospital, the goblin may have just bled to death. Can you find any blood around - check the clothing of the goblin and see if it is covered in blood.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile

Sometimes, engraving a slab to them and then viewing its details once you place it will list their cause of death.  Since the goblin was a visitor, I'm not sure if that's still an option, but fortress pets are in the list so it's worth checking.

I usually don't allow any visitors.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

Visitors are huge fun, and so interesting, and I always have an everyone-is-welcome tavern somewhere. If you make the "everyone" tavern near the surface and hard for your hardworking dorfs to get to, and the "locals only" tavern closer to important fort places, then it all seems to work itself out, especially if expensive stuff is in the "locals only" tavern so their tavern is more expensive and attractive to the dorfs.

The mitten is an odd situation. If it wasn't for the mitten, I would say it seems he died of alcohol poisoning... But with the mitten being moved I do wonder if something else happened.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, that’s a start, at the very least.  Too bad it wasn’t an elf, though…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin murder
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 10:32:43 pm »

Thanks everyone for your advice. Sadly, (r) showed no report, I must have waited too long. I still don't know why this goblin was murdered but the goblin representative that saw his body in the tavern left and I have a feeling that there might be some sort of invasion soon. My dorfs didn't seem too eager to get rid of the body, soon the whole tavern was filled with purple gases. I made a stockpile for corpses and it still took them a long while to finally haul out the goblin.

I am pretty much preparing my fort for battle and invasion. Training 8 dorfs as my military (I have 21 citizens) mostly with ranged weapons. I also learned how to build upwards above ground, and seeing them run over 3 story walls has been hilarious. Sad thing is, only metal I have found is gold. So much gold, but I guess gold is to soft a metal for decent weapons or even armor.

Also, a gold crown went missing and I caught one of my citizens unloading it in her bedroom. This sim is incredible.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Gold is a blessing and a curse - beautiful furniture and expensive crafts, but yes, worthless for gear. Trade it to the dwarves or humans for some iron-bearing stone, or the ingredients for bronze. Good luck!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A goblin representative isn't a representative from a goblin civ, unless your game is modded. It's probably from the human civ. Goblin civs are hostile no matter what (they may, at best, not currently be at war), and death of civ members isn't a reason for war (consistent slaughtering of caravans plus refusal to abide by elven log cutting quotas can result in war, but you may have to be rather insistent to achieve that, according to what I understand (I haven't tried myself).