Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 85

Author Topic: FEF: Demon Soul Saga IC Thread: Chapter 3: Hunt for the Eighth God  (Read 70292 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Demon Soul Saga IC Thread: Chapter 2: White Fields / Temple Garden
« Reply #570 on: January 27, 2022, 02:31:04 pm »

The voice was enough. The disconnect of body language made complete sense. Body language shifted with mood and presentation. Miyashita became much more confident when she transformed, it stood to reason Tsukasa could easily be the same way. He would keep analyzing. None the less, Mori wasn't so stupid as to charge into such accusations.

"No, that would be ridiculous," Mori replied, "Don't worry, the only person I think lives in an anime world is Kasuga. No, that was just to assure you we're on the same side in this case. The question I'm about to ask is a bit personal in nature, and I wanted to make it clear why I think it's so important for me to ask."

Mori took a deep breath and continued.

"Ever since this whole akuma matter began, I've been keeping tabs on new information on akuma and kaijin as they appear. Checking forums, speaking to those who'd gotten caught up in issues, etc. About a week ago, I received some information from one of my sources regarding the fact that the kaijin known as "The White Knight" was in possession of some sort of healing ability." Mori explained "My thoughts immediately turned to the possibility of an ability like that helping Sakurajima, but I wasn't sure if that was possible. It might only work on physical injuries, or even if it works on diseases, it may only work on simple matters, like colds or flu. However, when speaking with Sakurajima and you, something interesting came up, and now we enter the portion of this conversation that becomes somewhat personal, so please, bear with me."

"Sakurajima mentioned that Majima's illness suddenly... went away. No adequately explained reason, or work of some miraculous doctor, it's just gone." He continued "And I remembered that Majima's... current condition was a result of an Akuma attack that also served as the first appearance of The White Knight. Taking the two together, I wonder if The White Knight is the reason for her sudden recovery. Perhaps he feels guilt or responsibility for her current state, or maybe he just feels that having the ability to heal others, he should use them to help people who are sick. Whatever the case, it would lead credence to the idea that perhaps he, or someone with the same power, could also heal Sakurajima, or at least help her stay well longer."

"This is where I have to ask something of you you may not be comfortable with answering." Mori stated, "You and Majima are... extremly close, and you visit her regularly. Do you have any knowledge that could help me try to get in contact with The White Knight? Of course, I don't think you know him personally, but maybe you might have seen or heard about him being near the hospital at some time, or perhaps there was another person who you may have seen around the hospital at the time of Majima's recover, or even so much as a better idea at the window of her recovery would help."

Mori took a deep breath, as if he'd gone through the whole discussion without stopping to breath. His shoulders slumped.

"I, of course, understand I sound like a madman grasping at straws." Mori stated. He sounded resigned. And tired. "That's because I am. If there's a way to help Sakurajima, I will find it, and I can't allow myself to let what may be a real opportunity pass me by because it sounds ridiculous."

"So if you know something, anything that could help. Please, tell me."
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I知 running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 27, 2022, 03:49:52 pm »

Tsukasa just stares at Mori like he was speaking in tongues.
"Miraculous? I suppose you could call her cancer going into remission that, yeah."
"Well, you know all that about the White Knight. You also know that people keep calling him a hero. If he knows Yui so well, then....don't you think he would've done something about it?"

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 27, 2022, 04:14:08 pm »

"Maybe he can't. Maybe waking her up is too much for his powers. Maybe there's something else going on. I don't know the limits of kaijin powers. All of the research I did, and I still can't even wrap my head around this whole kaijin thing." Mori seemed emotionally and physically exhausted, like he hadn't slept well for a few days. "It's all so... confusing, and terrifying, and exhausting and frustrating. It's a thousand different things I never thought I'd ever have to deal with, like the whole world has gone upside down and a portion of it fell right on top of me. And I just thought 'maybe I could figure out how to do something with this, that if we have to deal with all these monsters and superheroes and all this insanity, maybe this insane break from reality meant that someone could pull off a miracle and actually help for a change instead of just hurting people!"

The last part was louder than he wanted it to be. He let out a deep sigh and slumped onto the floor.

"Sorry to drag you and your emotional pain into my desperation. You should head back in and help. I want to just sit here for a bit."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 04:41:40 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I知 running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 27, 2022, 04:31:07 pm »

Tsukasa's face remains flat, but it's clear Mori hit something, just from the look in his eyes. Something deep.

After a few moments, he sighs.
"...."
"If the White Knight could have done anything to wake Yui up, he would have. Because people keep calling him a hero, so he must be one, right? And I would've thanked him for it. At least then she'd be out there, where she belongs. Not in a hospital bed. Even if her place didn't turn out to be next to mine. I would have given him anything to wake her up."
"Miracles aren't beyond the reach of the Kaijin. Or so, they keep saying, anyway. If I were Yui, I'd say something stupid and corny, like "the people the Kaijin save, even if you can't save everybody, that's the true miracle"."
He shakes his head. His voice is still flat, but you can hear the pain, the wavering. This is a man who has done his crying a long time ago, and has shed his tears long since.
"I haven't heard her voice in a year, and yet it still sounds like it was just yesterday she was pestering me to come with her on some trip to Hokkaido or come eat organ meat yakiniku with her. What I'd give for the White Knight to get that voice of hers to say those dumb things again."

He makes to walk back inside, but before he does, he pauses.
"....if she was here, like she should be, she'd tell you to keep searching for your miracle, and have faith in what you CAN do, not what you wish you could."
The door clicks shut behind Tsukasa.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 04:32:41 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 27, 2022, 04:56:13 pm »

Mori just sat there, back against the wall, breath ragged. All he'd managed to do was all he'd always ever done. Hurt someone, pick out the one thing in their heart that hurt them the most, and play with it in front of their eyes.

His phone buzzed. He didn't pick it up. He knew exactly who was texting him.

It buzzed again, louder. He still didn't answer.

It buzzed again, this time so loud he felt it echo throughout the hall. He finally picked it up, opened his eyes to see the message.

"You should have known he wouldn't believe you."

He wanted to put the phone down, but it felt like his eyes were glued to the screen, and his hand was frozen in place.

"Sawatari Mori actually trying to help someone?"
"Don't make me laugh."
"And 'have faith in what you can do'?"
"We both know you can only do one thing."
"Make everyone around you hurt."

Finally able to look away, Mori closed his eyes, but that didn't help. He heard the words echo inside his mind, like shouts in a dark, empty cave.

He wanted to throw his phone against the wall, but Fantomas would just find another way to torture him. Besides, he didn't have enough money to get a replacement. He slipped it back into his pocket. He desperately wished he had his hoodie, but all he could do was use his arms to cover his bloodshot eyes.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 27, 2022, 05:09:14 pm »

After a bit, another message rings through Mori's phone. It doesn't buzz again.

If he were to pick it up, Akihiko has left him a message.
You okay? Kazami wasn't talking when he went back in. Sakurajima worried.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 27, 2022, 05:16:25 pm »

Mori felt his phone buzz. When it didn't buzz again, he contemplated picking it up, but in the end, he just felt so utterly exhausted.

He left it in his pocket.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 27, 2022, 06:30:22 pm »

". . . if you want to call it 'branding,' then sure." Mishima might have gotten it, much to her chagrin, but she didn't think Aika understood at all. She was well-liked and had a career already that ensured she'd stay that way, and no crushing weight of tradition on her. "And it probably wouldn't feel like 'ancient history' if you were me. It was current when my family first became nobility, and it was current each time the reins were handed to the next generation. That means it'll be current when Renjirou takes over as the head of the family."

"If you say so~!  Personally, I think you're overthinking things.  Or underthinking them.  Just because things were 'current' for a long time doesn't mean they are now, or will be tomorrow, y'know?"

"Even if that isn't the case, worrying about it to the point you can't relax at all just seems like it'll cause more problems than it solves in the long run."

"Still, still~ If you're really that dedicated and think you need to, don't let me stop you.  It's not like I'm involved in this stuff."

"In any case, I should go get lunch.  Sorry again for the trouble~!"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 29, 2022, 11:31:06 am »

"I think I'll talk to Akutagawa myself about that."

She put a hand on Demura's shoulder.

"And don't be getting any ideas about our kouhai here, either. He doesn't need someone like you being a sleazeball around him."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 29, 2022, 04:40:03 pm »

Sakurajima Team
After a bit of waiting, Akihiko glances over at the door, with Tsukasa being dead silent as to what happened outside.
"Shit."
Akihiko looks over at Yui.
"Right. Aiuchi, you can handle the cooking part, right? I'll check on Sawatari, make sure he didn't go off and get the crap beaten out of him by Honda or something."
He leaves the cooking to Yui and Tsukasa, nods at the worried-looking Kanna, and walks outside and sees a very un-Mori looking Mori.

"...hell happened here with you and Kazami-senpai?"

Tadano/Miyazono Team
Sugiura lifts an eyebrow.
"Sleazeball? That's a little unwarranted. We've just met, haven't we? I'm just being cordial."
"Sugiura, is there something you want?"
"Just being friendly, yeesh. Are you people like this to Mishima-senpai or Kazami-senpai? Come on."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 29, 2022, 04:53:04 pm »

"I haven't talked to either, but I doubt they have that feel you do. The one that makes me go 'this guy is rotten to the core'."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 29, 2022, 05:57:25 pm »

Mori just sat there, head in his arms, just breathing for a while, before he finally spoke.

"...what's it like, being the good guy?"
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:19:20 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 29, 2022, 10:13:34 pm »

Sakurajima Team
Akihiko lifts an eyebrow.
"Again with this good guy-bad guy stuff? We're not in an anime, you know."

Tadano/Miyazono Team
Sugiura sighs.
"My, my. My charms don't work on everybody. To think the Mad Dog's bark would be so harsh...I'm stung."
"Sugiura."
"Well...I did have some other reason. I was concerned about Sakurajima."
"Huh?"

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 29, 2022, 11:16:30 pm »

"I mean a good person." Mori replied, "Look at you, the hero in red, beating off bullies, protecting innocents, getting the girl. He doesn't care about his reputation as long as he can help others."

"Then look at me. The scrawny, smug little villain. I'm a liar, an information broker, a trickster. My talents are for manipulating others, lying, and figuring out how to hurt others. I mean, fuck, ever since I was little, it's like I've had mystic eyes of emotional death perception. I know exactly where to poke to rip your heart out. I can mimic voices, and my best skill is manipulating rumors. Not a lot of heroic opportunities with those skills. Not to mention my main hobbies are blackmail and buying and selling people's secrets. I even dress in green and purple. And that's not getting into my Kaijin form. I manifest as a monster made of shadows in a creepy mask and a black and purple trench coat, I shapeshift, and I can step in and out of people's shadows. Not to mention I'm fucking Fantomas of all possible figures. The untouchable, monstrous phantom thief. The sadist, anarchist, and murderer who treats everyone and everything as nothing but a means to an end. Who lies and manipulates everyone and everything, who wears so many masks he barely even has a face behind them anymore! What, were Nyarlhotep and Mephistotles too busy? What does the fact that that's the manifestation of my inner self say about me?"

He stood up.

"I mean, fuck, I don't know what your awakening was like, but when we first met, Fantomas trapped me in a massive complex of mirrors, had demonic versions of the people I know tell me everything I hate about myself and how I could never be better, then filled it with sand until I was practically drowning, and then told me 'by the way, everything you're afraid of about yourself? It's true!' Then he's taken every opportunity since that day to remind me. I haven't had a good night's sleep in a week since I keep getting interrupted by nightmares, then every time I look into the mirror, my reflection changes into some kind of monster, which I don't think I need to explain the symbolism, and whenever I feel down, I get text messages I can't avoid looking at, and I mean they keep alerting me louder and louder until it deafens the world around me, then freezes my arm and eyes in place once I finally look, that tell me how my failure was a result of my being a fundamentally terrible person, who people are right not to trust and who can only hurt people and nothing else, or some other thing!

"And fuck, he's right! When I'm trying to help someone, I do nothing but hurt them or others! I tried to help Sakurajima, and all I did was stab Kazami in the heart about his girlfriend's medical state, and if he is Gawain, remind him that no matter all his power, he couldn't help her, and he feels like a fraud for being called a hero. I'm pretty sure I hurt Sakurajima too, when I was telling her about how she should tell Miyazono about what was happening! And that's only the most recent case, not to mention all the pain I caused to everyone around me ever since middle school! So yeah, it's safe to say I'm the bad guy, and you're the good guy!"

By the time he's done, Mori's breath is ragged, and tears were starting to form in his eyes. He fell back down to the floor.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 11:37:24 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Unlurking Sentinel

• Bay Watcher
  • 6e 6f 74 20 61 20 72 6f 62 6f 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 30, 2022, 12:01:11 am »

Masaru shoved Honda's arm away. "Get your hand off me." His strength as a newly minted Kaijin didn't compare to Honda's, but it was still perhaps surprising, given his frame.

"That said, they do have a point. You said yourself, your eye is trained on competition, not companions." Masaru was not trained in reading people, and he couldn't have confidence in Honda and Miyazono's judgments (or anyone's, for that matter) with so little information to go off of. But he could tell when someone wasn't here to make friends, and he preferred when that sentiment was up-front.
01101110 01101111 01110000 01100101 00101100 00100000 01100100 01100101 01100110 01101001 01101110 01101001 01110100 01100101 01101100 01111001 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100010 01101111 01110100

Final Fantasy Emblem on Forums
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 85