Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flood... again  (Read 1124 times)

xywa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Flood... again
« on: November 07, 2021, 03:39:33 am »

What should be done?
R - River
+++ tunnel
W - Well

[A] This works
1) R                                      W
2) R+++++++++++++++++

This used to work for some time, the water was in the well, then after couple of mount got the flood...
1) R
2) R                                    W
3) \++++++++++++++++

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flood... again
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 05:23:48 am »

Water pressure works such that water reaches one level lower than the original when going through a U bend, but wonky mechanics can delay or completely block water from moving where it should until a disturbance causes things to be recalculated.
Examples of such delayed cases are when you remove a cavern tree in a cavern lake with a ballista bolt leaving a hole in the water behind where the trunk used to be (and branches too, if the those were below the water level) and in reclaimed fortresses reaching in under the ocean (and probably lakes as well) where you get standing walls of water on the biome boundaries.

Thus, assuming 1/2/3 are Z levels and W is the top well structure where the dorf picks up the water (as opposed to a shaft below it), pressure should push water out onto level 2 until it's filled with water.

It's possible to depressurize water using a diagonal squeeze beyond which there is no pressure, and thus the water won't climb to a higher level.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 06:43:00 am »

The wiki article on pressure is well worth reading. There's a lot more detailed information and diagrams than I could reasonably fit into a post here.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pressure

To solve your flooding problem you'll want to add a diagonal passage somewhere in the tunnel between the well and the river.
Pressure is only transferred through the 4 orthogonal connections (north, east, south, and west). Water will flow diagonally but it becomes depressurized as long as there's no orthogonal connection.
A typical top-down view of a well system might look like this:
Code: [Select]
########################
########## ####     ####
###^      #      W  ####
########## ####     ####
########################
where W is the tile below the well and ^ is the shaft leading up to the river.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 08:22:06 am »

Note that a depressurizer has to be the only connection, as any orthogonal path will propagate pressure (I've accidentally screwed that up by digging away a tile too much in the past).

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 08:38:37 pm »

I’ve made a flow limiter that can be toggled on and off using 3 1x2 bridges…

Here’s a thread that you might be interested in…

Also, I think there’s something wrong with the forum software.  I tried selecting the text for the link and clicking the url button, but instead of enclosing the highlighted text in url tags it instead inserted a pair of tags into a random spot in the sentence at the top of my post.  I’ve had the same problem happen before when making other posts.  Another thing that happened, which I haven’t seen before is that, partway through backspacing over the superfluous url tags, the forum software decided to skip to backspacing over the contents of the subject line…  >:(
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 02:45:27 am »

Can't you just build some walls around the river?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 03:04:17 am »

Can't you just build some walls around the river?

Why build walls when you can just use magma to obsidianize the river?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.