Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Logistics of a deep-mining operation  (Read 3337 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Logistics of a deep-mining operation
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 11:33:09 am »

Wait, do you mean that i don't need to manually designate a bedroom for each dwarf? I know they sleep in a random bed if they don't have a bedroom, or in dormitory, but is it possible for them to claim a bedroom by themselves at some point? Would be nice to avoid having to assign 100+ bedrooms.

You don't have to assign a room for dwarves, but in my opinion it's best to do it. I do it successively with each wave of arrivals, and separately for children, so the dwarves of the same wave are next to each other, and born children are also in consecutive room (currently I have 60 children born, and each has its room assigned at birth). It makes some arrangements and checks easier later.

I also use Note system to describe room of military dwarves. When soldiers go on the mission, their rooms are unassigned. When they come back, they assign themselves a room when necessary, sometimes the moment they arrive on the map, but I disregard their assignment and instead assign them the same rooms over and over (looking at Notes if I don't remember), so they don't need to carry their clothes between rooms, wasting time instead of training. For never squads I just make sets of 10 rooms, and don't even need notes to assign dwarves.

Some rooms have statues and other furniture custom made for a given dwarf (their favourite metal, or picture etc.), it seems it helped with some who were unhappy and slowly getting out of control, now they are OK. In a fortress of 180, over 15 years, I had to use suicide booth only for two who were beyond help, but these two had no special furniture (no materials or preferences for them).
Pages: 1 [2]