Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Idle games (2)  (Read 18463 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Idle games (2)
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2023, 11:14:43 am »

I'm probably about as capped out as I'm going to get here-

The gain rate of prestige points doesn't keep up with the scaling of human life/damage. I could spend another hour yakking up dudes in the 500s to get enough prestige points to go from 400,000 blood multiplier to 541,000 blood multiplier, but that's really only good for a couple flat stat bonuses and an extra rune shatter or two at this point.

Doing 400 levels would be monumentally faster than doing 600 levels and the only difference between the two in terms of prestige points is 200 per level. Not helpful when I need 70k prestige points to get that desired blood multiplier bump.

Or maybe just just keep pumping parts production and using golems while harpies spread infection for the skeleton to proc pandemic off of.

Or I hang it up, since there's no content left, hahaha.

Edit: Huh, something's weird with damage calculations on golems - my fire guys are rated for 572m damage, but are critically striking with a 290% damage multiplier for 490m. Also, the displayed damage number for zombies or golems or however isn't based on DPS, since the number does not increase when attack speed does. Great.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 11:31:46 am by None »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2023, 12:47:20 pm »

Have any of you played Evolve?

It's browser based and really really brilliant. It's basically an idle 4x spore game. You start off as some goop and click your way trough evolution, establish a basic society, develop technology and grow your civilization until you reach for the stars and other dimensions. The resets are really cool because depending on how far you go you unlock more and more systems and stuff. Ending your civilization early with nukes will give you a bit of the meta resources to spend on your next try. Actually constructing a seedship and sending it off to the stars allows for a much more controlled start. Loads of achievements and challenge run settings to get too.

Really, one of those games you can play in the background for literal months and years, and it starts off so simple.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2023, 01:32:33 pm »

It doesn't describe mitochondria as the powerhouse of the cell.  Thin ice, game, thin ice.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2023, 06:58:25 pm »

Evolve is very nice indeed. The scope of the game is vast. I think it has been mentioned once or twice before in this thread, or in a previous idler thread.
It is slow paced though.

Also, haha. I fired up Cookie Clicker after a year or more of inactivity. Suddenly had near and about 500 lumps of sugar to spend. (While I never really played the game and only prestiged once). Now I am on my 3d prestige with vastly over-upgraded buildings for the prestige level I am at.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 07:02:41 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2023, 10:33:50 pm »

I've been playing a good deal of Idling to Rule the Gods lately. It's a very slow burn sort of game, the kind where they claim that you can finish the tutorial in about two weeks and it probably will take that long unless you devote full time to it. Resets (called Rebirths) are fairly frequent starting out as you slowly build up the numbers needed to take on more advanced content, and once the tutorial clears you unlock challenges which can take similar amounts of time (but also unlock yet more content in addition to boosting your capabilities directly). I've done a few challenges already, so I guess I'm nearing the end of the early game.

It's got some xianshi elements but they're mostly in the background and the (many chapters of) story; you're not going to be consuming pills or wiping out entire villages with pure killing intent or anything like that. Instead you start by creating "shadow clones" which serve the same function as energy in other games - you assign them to various tasks that boost your numbers so you can take on the titular gods. As you defeat more gods you unlock additional features. Many of these are lost upon rebirthing, but others (like pets) are permanently unlocked once you defeat the requisite god.

Speaking of pets, they are not cosmetic, except optionally. Pets boost your numbers, and can be trained and sent on various campaigns for goodies. Unlock enough pets and you can send them into dungeons, unlock even more pets and you unlock a village for even more crap to do with them.

Basically, there's a lot to uncover. The very early game is the most painful part, where you have the fewest options for progression and meta currency gain is slow. It's still in development, so maybe some of that will change down the road, but I think for the most part they're doing bugfixes and expanding later game content.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2023, 03:55:46 am »

I opened up evolve and it seems I still have a save file on my browser because it loaded up. However as I looked at it I got a growing sensation that I stopped playing because I foresaw endless grinding of resources.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2023, 06:45:37 pm »

Started Evolve again. Never finished a run, and I'm about as far as I've ever gotten. Namely waiting on aluminum(for sheet metal) for Wardenclyffes, because I do not have knowledge storage enough for any techs past Industrialization. And building more banks or universities is all but impossible because of basic resource storage limits.

It doesn't seem worth it powering coal mines. The increase in production is less than what is burned in the power plant.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2023, 02:59:51 am »

That first run will take a while. After that, do a few more MAD prestige resets, they will get faster. 'Cost creep reduction' is one of the most important prestige perks to invest in, it will reduce the steepness of the price cost increase curve.

Powering coal plants with coal power is't the most efficient, no. I don't recall it costing more than it puts out though. Later in the game, when you get gas, nuclear and other power, you will want to power up your coal mines though for the production gains.

Also, when waiting for resources, make good use of the market. Trading is often the fastest way of acquiring resources.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 03:45:00 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2023, 09:13:49 am »

I played evolve some as well, about a day or two and although it started off interesting and seems like a cool idea I got to the point where it felt like each upgrade was a tiny meaningless incremental increase and gave you less then it increased the cost of the next upgrade. Which, I will admit, is absolutely standard for a lot of idle games. But it lost me there, it no longer feels like I'm progressing and the game is going somewhere, just that I'm stuck in the endless mush of grinding out increasing numbers that a lot of mediocre idle games are made of.

The worst part though is that I still need to quite actively play it, upgrades need to be purchased every 30 minutes or so because of resource caps, as Martinuzz says you can actively trade and do war for increased progress speed which you can do semi constantly. Automated build queues only help a little bit. I can't put it aside for 6 hours or so and come back to spend all my stuff then take another 6 hour break. I need to constantly baby the game though all these meaningless incremental increases, it effort it asks you to put in has become disproportionate to the fun that the game produces.

If there weren't resource caps I might say it's a thus far somewhat unimpressive but solid idle game, with them, I honestly think it's sorta bad.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 09:33:17 am by Criptfeind »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2023, 09:32:45 am »

The game does have a mechanic that encourages you to go offline. Offline time increases a counter that will give you up to a maximum of 8h of double speed playing time.

But yeah, I play it on and off, because it IS a grind, and it is not an inactive idler game. The fun is in the many various races you can play as, and the vast scope that will, later in your game career, take you far into science fiction territory.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 09:35:17 am by martinuzz »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2023, 09:36:32 am »

To avoid just being a Negative Nancy and to give fans of evolve something I like for them to critique, here's a idle game I do like, but it comes with the caveat that (like all idle games that I like come to think of it) it was ultimately left in an unfinished state. It's been updated a few times over the years by various fans, here's the latest version I could find:

Idle loops

The basic idea of the game is that you're stuck in a time loop, a magic effect is constantly draining your mana and when you hit zero you return to the start of the loops, your mana refreshed (hover over the word story next to the bonus seconds button to read more, and more appears there sometimes as you go.) so you have to explore the world and find more and more mana, grind new skills and find new things too do too keep expanding your loop and explore further.

Unfortunately, it was left unfinished, fans have added some stuff (not sure what, not played it in quite a while) but I doubt there's any sort of resolution. But I find it quite fun to explore what is in the game, and achieve what can be achieved.

A tip if anyone wants to start: The time a loop takes is based on the amount of mana spent, and generally at first you'll be wanting to do certain tasks as fast as possible, so long loops are not efficient. For instance, wandering takes 250 mana, breaking enough pots to wander twice also takes 250 mana, so you can spend 750 mana time to wander twice, or just do 2 separate wander loops at 500 mana time. Similarly it takes 600 mana time alone to buy the glasses, with another 500 mana time on top of that to do one wander (1100 mana time) when you could just wander 4 times for 1000 mana time. So glasses aren't efficient until you can do at least 2 wanders after buying them. Buying mana doesn't become efficient for a good long while, since it takes 400 mana to get enough gold to buy 500 mana. So look for those efficiencies at the start of the game.  Stats don't matter at the start, but later on they will start to matter a lot and break this relationship some. But crafting efficient loops for what you're trying to accomplish is often a good idea.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 10:12:26 am by Criptfeind »

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2023, 03:42:16 pm »

Just kidding I'm on level 717 on incremancer.

New hot tips:

You can destroy all non-legendary items not equipped to the skeleton by clicking on the trash can. Save your fingers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Could still probably hang it up, but it's fun to let run while I work. There's still nothing new for the last 500 levels.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 03:55:14 pm by None »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2023, 07:02:48 pm »

One more Incremancer tip, combine Caged Zombies with Gigazombies! All zombies released from your cages will be Giga!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2023, 07:45:03 pm »

While I only played to level 50, I did find the Energize->Detonate->Gigazombie combo pretty good. If you have maxed out the upgrade that causes dead people to turn into zombies(and you should), a few zombies blowing up a room with dozens of civilians will result in dozens of Gigazombies. It does require a bit of timing, though, because if Detonate is still active when they rise, they might also explode(for more damage/area).

As for Evolve, Tesla Coil and Internet are the technologies that seem to be the main hump to climb over. The game picked up a bit after that. Especially since Bioscience and nuclear power are right after that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2023, 09:09:27 am »

I just noticed that evolve now has starsigns. I think it has been updated since I last played. Didn't know it was still being updated, but I really do not recall seeing a starsign next to the moon phase.

Also, I've found this Evolve spreadsheet to be very helpful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SP11y21XwYAIRUa0mq3X58MP3F6KTJpsDNA2dFYYJvQ/edit?pli=1#gid=814253182

EDIT: ah, last update 6-1-2023 1st of june 2023, so yeah, still being developed, cool!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 09:22:34 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10