Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Idle games (2)  (Read 18464 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idle games (2)
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2021, 09:27:58 am »

Perfect Tower 2:

I made it to the crazy part of the game (earning military tier 8) without having anything but the first software installed (one of them is up to 1%, though...). Now to get to wave 1 million the slow way. At least I should finally be able to afford the 15th server to install software slightly less slowly with by the time I'm done with that.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2021, 12:35:36 pm »

Y'can upgrade the CPUs on those servers to make software research quicker, by the way, and if you can afford the 15 servers, I reckon you can probably afford increase your research speed by a magnitude of, I dunno, a few thousand or so.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2021, 12:48:11 pm »

Y'can upgrade the CPUs on those servers to make software research quicker, by the way, and if you can afford the 15 servers, I reckon you can probably afford increase your research speed by a magnitude of, I dunno, a few thousand or so.

Huh. Well, that's good to know. That'll improve things by a few orders of magnitude.

Edit: Well, now that install times went from years to minutes, anyone have recommended ai scripts?

Edit 2: You can change the way numbers are displayed in the options. Changing to scientific notation takes a little bit of getting used to (assuming you're used to words), but it gets you one or two more decimal places for when something costs 1.0013 trillion resources or whatever.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 11:55:27 am by Iduno »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2021, 04:44:06 pm »

Huh. Well, that's good to know. That'll improve things by a few orders of magnitude.

Edit: Well, now that install times went from years to minutes, anyone have recommended ai scripts?
Theres a whole bunch of scripts in the discord, but also a ton on the wiki.

https://www.perfecttower2.com/wiki/AI_Scripts_Guide
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2021, 06:11:30 pm »

I finally got to era, took enough hits and got enough kills to unlock the second tab in the era workshop, and have finished the first level of researching removing powers. Any suggestions on saving up 990 xp and then incredibly quickly disabling powers before I die to fully-powered era enemies?

I can either skip to era 1 and get taken out by the wave 1 boss with like 300 xp saved up, or gain xp from regular mode by running the software to get back to era and be unable to kill era enemies before I die even with the turn off powers button clicked.

Edit: Wait, am I supposed to get 1E5 (100,000) xp to disable the era bonuses? That's the same problem, but amplified. Even with xp bonuses, I'd have to turn off a lot of software to manage that, which is going to make for long fights.

Theres a whole bunch of scripts in the discord, but also a ton on the wiki.

https://www.perfecttower2.com/wiki/AI_Scripts_Guide

Ooh, thank you. Sadly, the factory ones are all currently broken.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 10:11:27 pm by Iduno »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2021, 12:52:45 am »

You'll have to disable some (most) software at the beginning of Era but don't worry, it will ramp up fast and you'll be speeding through it full speed soon enough again.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2021, 01:13:27 pm »

You'll have to disable some (most) software at the beginning of Era but don't worry, it will ramp up fast and you'll be speeding through it full speed soon enough again.

Remembering that you can right-click the Wave Streaming button in the upper right to turn software off and on during a run helps. Critical Wavestreaming (and the software that powers it up) is the worst offender, and needs to be turned off once you get into the 90 billions, unless you want to really try your luck. Looks like I'll be making it to era after 20 minutes, with ~2e5 xp to spend, thanks to Awareness.

Edit: Closer to 25 minutes, then as soon as it hit era it jumped to round 6 trillion and I died before I could react. Fuck. I managed to get the era tab open but not click anything before dying.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 01:20:50 pm by Iduno »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2021, 02:42:07 pm »

If you made it to Era once, you don't need to do another 100 billion run on that map/difficulty, you can start in Era 1 right away with the correct software turned on.
Also, use x1 speed instead of x2 if you aren't already
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2021, 08:56:05 pm »

If you made it to Era once, you don't need to do another 100 billion run on that map/difficulty, you can start in Era 1 right away with the correct software turned on.
Also, use x1 speed instead of x2 if you aren't already

Right, but it's somewhat difficult to get 100,000 xp when you can't manage to kill more than a few era critters at once, so I can't manage to make them easy enough to kill regularly. I know those are lower-level era critters, but I had to let it rerun that way all night to get enough kills to start researching green and red enemies (I was getting like 100 kills on green, 12 on red, and 5 on brown each run, then dying, but the mission was set to respawn after 1 second, so I eventually got there). I assume someone has, at some point, managed to use the benefits of the second floor of the workshop. But it isn't me.

Edit: It's taken all day, but I've saved up enough resources that I'm upgrading modules all to level 19 to see if I can kill enough to make it closer to era 2 without having to guess how the workshop works. I'm also almost halfway to getting something other than "water taste" from the water experiment. I may get all of the modules sometime before the heat death of the universe. I'm beginning to think this is a joke game like So You Want to Be The Guy, where the game being impossible to figure out is the point.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 09:48:11 pm by Iduno »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2021, 11:53:43 pm »

Being (partially) an idle game, a major gimmick is that the real advancements are massive unrelated jumps. It's certainly intended that you grind some things, but generally there are ways around your problems that don't involve straight addition.

A corollary of this is that if you don't know what that way is, the game is completely obnoxious.

In my case, for instance, I found that using 100 T3 Blue Producers (and massive trading post bonuses) to upgrade my relevant modules (I think to level 26?) allowed me to damage Era cubes. Asteroid Mining then gave me a T5 Producer out of nowhere which has put my best modules at 29, and it's still such a slog that I haven't bothered. I'm currently chaining ore lumps to upgrade my vast quantities of low-tier ore into T5 so I can feed things to the factory for no reasons beyond completionism and hating having to throw stuff out instead.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2021, 08:39:41 am »

Being (partially) an idle game, a major gimmick is that the real advancements are massive unrelated jumps. It's certainly intended that you grind some things, but generally there are ways around your problems that don't involve straight addition.

A corollary of this is that if you don't know what that way is, the game is completely obnoxious.

In my case, for instance, I found that using 100 T3 Blue Producers (and massive trading post bonuses) to upgrade my relevant modules (I think to level 26?) allowed me to damage Era cubes. Asteroid Mining then gave me a T5 Producer out of nowhere which has put my best modules at 29, and it's still such a slog that I haven't bothered. I'm currently chaining ore lumps to upgrade my vast quantities of low-tier ore into T5 so I can feed things to the factory for no reasons beyond completionism and hating having to throw stuff out instead.

I'd love higher-level producers, but I just started getting the ores required to produce them recently. A few days after I asked here, I did accidentally learn how to combine ores into higher-tier ones. That got me a higher-tier belt, better ores, and a better belt. With a boost from the power plant, I'm getting 2 black ore per day, and like 16 green. But until today the production has been held up by saving up for the belt.

Also, needing to click thousands of times to produce anything in the factory. The factory ai scripts don't seem to produce anything but error logs.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:49:28 am by Iduno »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2021, 04:13:34 am »

Also, needing to click thousands of times to produce anything in the factory. The factory ai scripts don't seem to produce anything but error logs.
You can shift-click the output slot to pull everything at once. There's also a skill to autofill recipe patterns, if you missed that.

The other massive upgrade is the second floor. It lets you automate the production of end-tier products, rather than needing to manually dump all the bits into the requisite machines before assembling those into the thing you want. This also lets you specify exact numbers instead of halving stacks or dropping single items repeatedly.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2022, 04:17:34 pm »

Idleon just released it's World 4 update!
Lots of new systems to explore!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2022, 09:02:11 pm »

Idleon just released it's World 4 update!
Lots of new systems to explore!

Is the web version any good, or does it work noticeably better in Steam?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2023, 10:55:21 am »

Necro as this seems a more relevent place to ask than to start a new thread/divert a less connected one. And it's definitely an idle question about idle games in general! (Prompted by someone else's commnt elsewhere, though.)

Almost every time I encounter large numbers[1], it seems to follow the same general default[2] rule of displaying (probably built into the Unity engine, or whatever other appdev libraries get used, hence why the commonality) is for values above 1000[3] to be <one to three digits><up to two[4] decimals><magnitude>. The first bit 1-999, the second bit not padding with trailing zeroes (or even the decimal) if it doesn't need to and the magnitude being k/M/B, etc, in short-scale[5].

And it's the higher magnitudes I'm wondering about. Because though I'll happily view the numbers without 'e'-notation, I've noticed a slight change of style on the way up one point then a convergence of sorts.

Thousands - 1.23k (or 1.23K). Full number being 1,230 (or 1.230, continental notation), give or take rounding error (probably 1225..1234?). Just pad the decimals up to three, remove the decimal.
Millions - 2.34M. Full number is 2,340,000 (ish). Pad up and de-point the decimals, add one lot of three zeroes.
Billions - 3.45B. Or 3,450,000,000. Pad up, de-point, add two 000s
Trillions - 4.56T (or "Tr", very occasionally). i.e. 4,560,000,000,000. ...three extra 000s.
Quadrillions - 5.67Qu (occasionally "Qa") or just "Q". Where the disambiguation varies. Four 000s => 5,670,000,000,000,000
Quintillions 6.78Qi (vs Qu/Qa, above) or 6.78q (vs Q). You can work the rest out.
Sextillions 7.89Sx or "S", I may even have seen suffix to match "Hexillion", instead.
Septillions 8.90Se(/Sp?), or "s". Perhaps "S" to follow "H", but that could match the other non-standard that is "Heptillion" also, so probably not popular.
Octillions 9.10Oc, or 9.10O. (The second one can be tricky with many fonts! Only by context and understanding (and having seen what ranges you've been working with up to this point) do you know that it's actually very unlikely to cost/be worth "nine point one zero zero" units of whatever-it-is that it's a stat for.
Nonillions 10.11No or 10.11N. "10,110,<nine x 000>"
Decillions 11.12De or 11.12D.
Undecillions. Never seen "12.13Ud", or anything like it. Convention seems to be 12.13aa, duocellion as 13.14ab, tredecillion[6] as 14.15ac, etc, etc.
The question I really have, is whether after 20.21aj (novemdecillion), the next ones (vigintillion and unvigintillion) will be 21.22ak and 22.23al (continuing the offset-hexavigesimal system), 21.22b(¿z?) and 22.23ba (letters indicating "2 and something meaning 'zero'" then "2 and 1") or 21.22ak and 22.23ba ("1 and '10'" before then describing "2 and 1"), for "21,220,<twenty triple-zeroes>" and "22,230,<twentyone triple-zeroes>".

I don't suppose anyone knows? ;) Just to satisfy my curiosity.

((Or has anyone even seen "101,102,<one hundred 000s>" or beyond in 'normal' big number ranges? Does it go to "aaa" at the <eleventy-first>illion point? Before? Only straight after "zz"illions?))

[1] Without counting the deliberately large-number 'idlers' whose whole goal is to accumulate Knuth Notation values, or whatever.

[2] Often a setting can be switched to show "e" values, instead, e.g. 24.68B (24,680,000,000) as 2.47e10, presumably.

[3] Or Equal/Greater, I suppose, but I've also seen it progress "... 999, 1000, 1k ... 1.01k ..."

[4] I've seen 3dp used, occasionally, but it saves no space at all when rendering in thousands, so why probably the convention is usually just up to two digits of decimal when flipping format from the sub-k range.

[5] Possibly localisation gives official long-scale country's the long scales? With some method of notating "milliard"/"thousand million", "billiard"/"thousands billion"? But thanks to a decision half a century back, GB is officially short-scale. Doesn't mean I have to like it. (And there's different Indian and Chinese non-(000)-based large number notations, surely catered for!)

[6] The largest numbering I can currently see in any of my current idlers. I'm requiring 3ac <credits/points/whatever> to get the final ball-type in a brick-and-ball idler. Currently I've got tens of "ab"s, deliberately skipping other possible upgrades, just by accumulating up to two hours worth of "background" earnings whenever I open the app up. edit: Correction. I'm on 127ab of <whatever>s, needing 80ac <whatever>s, and my most recent two-hours of background earning earnt me just above 6ab of that. But it won't take another 1000+ days of regular checking in, every two hour, luckily! /endedit I just want to see what it says next. ;) (I might actually find my answer to this post's main question, after not so long. "Background earnings" are at least non-linear, over accumulated time, in the right direction. I could happily save my ability to Prestige[7] the current situation for even longer, let it tot up naturally.

[7] I really don't embrace Prestiging. I follow my own path on whichever of these time-wasters attract my attentions.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 12:02:40 pm by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10