Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Idle games (2)  (Read 18530 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Idle games (2)
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2021, 10:34:24 pm »

Getting into Perfect Tower II was probably a mistake.

The tower appears pretty limited in what builds "work" too - beyond a certain point, shields overtake health drastically in usefulness, and raw damage is overtaken by % damage and instakill stuff because the cost of raw damage gets outscaled by how many resources you can get quickly. This may just be due to the early access nature of it though.
I'm still using health and health regen, but I'm currently trying to hit M8 and the only way I can figure to hit 100B waves is % everything and letting the game run on Easy Forest for several hours. Presumably there's a far more elegant solution out there, but I'm not sure what it would be. Level 18 anti-everything modules only got me to 2B waves, so even if I grind up T4 blue producers I'm not confident about raw damage chained through the multipliers I've got access to.

The trick I found for damage/sustain beyond that initial wall was:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is what I was referring to as far as "limited builds" though - feels like there's like one or two tricks for each set of Military rank.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:12:09 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2021, 02:45:17 am »

The trick I found for damage/sustain beyond that initial wall was:

This is what I was referring to as far as "limited builds" though - feels like there's like one or two tricks for each set of Military rank.

I'm getting instagibbed on Era 1, presumably because I've got no defensive or anti-elemental stuff outside what was intended for Forest and haven't figured out which options to replace yet. Which I'm sure I'll get around to at some point, but I've been spending all my time in the factory as of late.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2021, 04:11:52 am »

Once you've got some hits taken and enemies killed, you can spend some resources in the new ERA tabs in the workshop which will make it cheaper to weaken the ERA enemies in the ERA tab in tower mode.

To get those first bunch of hits taken and kills in ERA, I used a pacifist (colourful/elementalist/trickster) build with soul harvesting (boosted by power stones) as my only offensive skill, basic shield, and shield + barriers + the right kind of resists for forest (neutral, nature, fire, earth). You can use magma foundation to get the fire resist and increase your fire barrier damage at the same time.

But yeah, griding through the ERA waves does take time. I'm still not at ERA 5, mostly because, like you, I spend too much time in the factory and laboratory.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:17:34 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2021, 02:44:48 pm »

Also Perfect Tower II:
I am perhaps an idiot and can't figure out how to make thick plates to build T1 machines so I can build more advanced ones.

Edit: Also, is there a way to just max out a module in one click instead of 100 (and then 200...)? Yes! On the right side there are buttons for different percentages. 100% maxes out the module. Much faster. Now I just need a faster way to make machines in the factory.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 03:14:57 pm by Iduno »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2021, 03:47:55 pm »

Once you've got some hits taken and enemies killed, you can spend some resources in the new ERA tabs in the workshop which will make it cheaper to weaken the ERA enemies in the ERA tab in tower mode.

To get those first bunch of hits taken and kills in ERA, I used a pacifist (colourful/elementalist/trickster) build with soul harvesting (boosted by power stones) as my only offensive skill, basic shield, and shield + barriers + the right kind of resists for forest (neutral, nature, fire, earth). You can use magma foundation to get the fire resist and increase your fire barrier damage at the same time.

But yeah, griding through the ERA waves does take time. I'm still not at ERA 5, mostly because, like you, I spend too much time in the factory and laboratory.

Good to know, on both spoilered and unspoilered accounts.

Also Perfect Tower II:
I am perhaps an idiot and can't figure out how to make thick plates to build T1 machines so I can build more advanced ones.
I couldn't figure this out either until I looked it up. You put stacked plates in the presser and they make thick plates.

The fuck are stacked plates? Ah, well... if you check the parts tab, there they are. If not, because it's not really a useful tab for anything else until you need motors or cubes... yeah. It's rather unfortunate that right clicking to show recipe doesn't work for processed bits, it'd make it a lot easier to work back to what you need.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2021, 04:49:02 pm »

Asteroid mining does not give town resources directly, but the +0.58 town resource symbol you saw means it increases resource drop rates by that percentage. Similarily, you can get %boost to damage, and to mining rewards. Check out the 'treasure' tab in the asteroid mine screen. It adds up nicely eventually. Currently I am at 2792% mining rewards, 8545% town resource drop rate, and 3915% damage boost.

Also, note that you can automate asteroid mining in the workers screen.

The hard part is keeping enough inventory space in your factory, which is especially painful if you have not yet unlocked the second floor of the factory.
Keeping 1 piece of good drops in your inventory is a good way of reserving a space for that particular drop.

EDIT: Hah, I just went from Era 1 to wave 86B Era 3 while watching some Netflix series.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:51:28 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2021, 06:01:39 pm »

I did some testing, and it doesn't look like Soul Harvesting, Heartstopper Aura, or Combustion benefit from anything except resistance reduction. Power stones, anti-neutral projectiles, normal or fire/darkness crit, and magma foundation all appeared to have no impact. Neither did Incineration/Unholy Missile (+% fire/darkness damage per %HP remaining/missing) or Taste modules. The numbers were also about where you'd expect them to be from the description, which would seem to indicate lab bonuses don't work either.

Related, Reflect seems to trigger off actual damage taken rather than initial damage put out, or at least module-based resistances/division. Without any modules to that effect, it looked more like they were taking damage that ignored my lab/power stone resists.

On the bright side, Unholy Aura magnified damage as expected and Combustion can trigger off Heartstopper Aura kills.

That's for normal play, though. I'm dealing flat nothing to Era 1 foes and I don't know why.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2021, 06:06:38 pm »

Have you tried disabling their Era shield in the Tower Testing Era tab? IIRC you can unlock that after having taken some hits.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2021, 07:10:11 pm »

Era foes initially take /e20 less damage, and have that much extra attack power. Focus on forest easy, use stuns turn off software, and go as slow as possible to get enough kills and hits for research
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2021, 02:53:11 pm »

I don't think the Fire experiment in the lab quite works right. My next goal is 500 million degrees, and my heaters currently add over 500 billion.

Edit: There's a temperature max? And you need to buy prestige to get it to work? It's good that they game tells you anywhere you'll see. I wonder if anything else *requires* buying prestige?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 04:26:34 pm by Iduno »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2021, 09:02:35 pm »

Have you tried disabling their Era shield in the Tower Testing Era tab? IIRC you can unlock that after having taken some hits.
Era foes initially take /e20 less damage, and have that much extra attack power. Focus on forest easy, use stuns turn off software, and go as slow as possible to get enough kills and hits for research
These aren't quite right.

I don't think the Fire experiment in the lab quite works right. My next goal is 500 million degrees, and my heaters currently add over 500 billion.

Edit: There's a temperature max? And you need to buy prestige to get it to work? It's good that they game tells you anywhere you'll see. I wonder if anything else *requires* buying prestige?
Electricity. There's only so many coils, so prestiging your voltage up or resistance down is the only way to progress past a certain point.

That's somewhat academic, though. Everything realistically needs prestige to keep going.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2021, 10:52:28 pm »

Y'need to take the stairs up in the workshop- you can spend hits taken/kills to understand what abilities each cube has, and when you've done both, you can disable their powers for a nominal sum of exp when you're tower testing, like 1000 at base research. The price goes up by like 1000 after the first disablement, so effectively you get to decide that one cube type gets to stop being lethal. I usually pick earth or darkness. Price/disablement resets when your testing run does.

The health and damage dividers are from the second or third tab of the upper floor of the workshop- you spend cubes and gems to increase the efficacy/reduce the exp cost of era suppression, which is only really meaningful once you're past era 1.

Once you've reached era, I think there's a technology that lets you start at wave 1 era 1, and on Forest Easy, they're still super simple to knock over. I'd advise turning off the wave surge/endurance ones so you don't surprise yourself with wave something million.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2021, 02:23:55 pm »

I read that you can improve ores in the factory, but you need one of the ore quality you want to create. I think you mix the powder with like 8 of the next tier down, and you get several out? I know crushing ore into dust before you melt it in the oven gets you twice as many bars. But anything else that gets me a higher-tier belt so I can refine faster, so I can build better belts is great.

Edit: Also, Colorful, Elementalist, and (currently) Glass Cannon are a nice early-ish way to make some resources. 3x3x4=36 times as many resources for 10 minutes for 60 headquarters cubes? All day long. Especially on Endless (probably set it to an hour each for that) preparing to idle over night, or throwing myself at a high difficulty for 2 minutes at a time to grind modules while also grinding resources.

Edit2: I'm liking the combination of Daigoparry and Death Wish. Oh no! Now I'll take increased damage if I get hit by these enemies who can one-shot me anyway.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 05:17:58 pm by Iduno »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2021, 04:24:57 pm »

I read that you can improve ores in the factory, but you need one of the ore quality you want to create. I think you mix the powder with like 8 of the next tier down, and you get several out? I know crushing ore into dust before you melt it in the oven gets you twice as many bars. But anything else that gets me a higher-tier belt so I can refine faster, so I can build better belts is great.

Somewhat further down the line you get an upgrade so that you only need 1+4 instead of 1+8 powder to craft higher tier powder, so don't go crazy on upgrading it until you get that. Just only make what you need until then.

Focus on getting higher tier belt ASAP, and use town perks once you unlock them to increase factory machine (including belt) speed, and power plant boost to increase overall factory speed (HINT: upgrade yellow batteries. Use yellow batteries. Fully upgraded they are the best batteries)
I remember how happy I was to get my first piece of tier10 ore!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2021, 05:19:18 pm »

Somewhat further down the line you get an upgrade so that you only need 1+4 instead of 1+8 powder to craft higher tier powder, so don't go crazy on upgrading it until you get that. Just only make what you need until then.

Yeah, but how do I do any of the upgrading? I can't build the next tier of belt for like 2.5 more days, because I need to wait on more refining.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10