Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Idle games (2)  (Read 18415 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Idle games (2)
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2023, 03:25:50 am »

Looks like the Evolve idle discord is pretty dead. Asked a few days ago if anyone knew about an update messing up progress in old saves, but so far, not a single reply.

I lost quite a few achievements and progress. It's not a lost savefile thing. Things are just bugged. I cannot have phage without bioseed resets but yet I have phage (and I did do a bioseed). My junk gene challence achievement is also gone.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2023, 06:05:10 am »

Evolve is made to be restarted multiple times.  Even though I only did 2 MADs before I did a Geneseed restart before I slogged to a universe restart.  It was the wrong choice and took a long time to accomplish.  I learned when I came back to the game to just do a bunch of MADs, then some Geneseeds to get plasmids and also get achievements.

Evolve really rewards people who stick with the game for months and restart often.  So many races to play, so many worlds with random challenges, so many different universes, dimensional challenge runs.

Just need to restart early, and often.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, yeah. Most every idle game is like that, the issue was that even with the restarts I'd stalled out.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2023, 07:06:49 am »

An idle game that has kept my attention for the past four months made it to a Steam release!

Unnamed Space Idle has a pretty basic core gameplay loop to start, but there are a lot of options that all feed back into it.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2023, 02:01:24 pm »

An idle game that has kept my attention for the past four months made it to a Steam release!

Unnamed Space Idle has a pretty basic core gameplay loop to start, but there are a lot of options that all feed back into it.
Checked that one out. For the curious, the relevant value type is Double, but be careful about adjusting values when the game's in the middle of doing it, itself (i.e. right as a synth part finishes construction, if you're pushing the XP up). Can cause the game to crash :P

If that doesn't make any sense to you, don't worry about it. If you know, you know :V

... anyway, more generally I've found a lot of times I'm kinda' interested in what's going on with idle games, but as a general thing I just hate the grind aspect of it. It's nice when you can, uh, manually adjust that without much trouble, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2023, 07:43:17 pm »

About to finish up my second run, as Ents. 3 days, most of which was only a few hours a day, isn't too bad. Gonna MAD again, since I'm hitting a stop point with some of the early space resources(ugh, Mythril), and the fact that at least one of the neighbor countries has a massive military and economic strength, making unification a very long road. Just got to finish maximizing my population for the sole killing them all for maximum profit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2023, 11:44:32 pm »

Evolve is easily my favorite incremental, but good lord the first run sucks. So slow, it's insane.

Ultimately, Evolve is about fast resets. There are different types, and once you hit the one you're  shooting for you basically want to reset it ASAP. Maybe give 15-30 minutes to research any extra techs you can and build up population, since those do affect prestige resources gained by resets. And you'll be repeating resets a lot. Especially MADs.

Looks like the Evolve idle discord is pretty dead. Asked a few days ago if anyone knew about an update messing up progress in old saves, but so far, not a single reply.
The discord is... definitely not dead though, at all. Maybe no one who knew saw. Could always repeat the question.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2023, 05:14:33 pm »

The fast reset thing is what sort of killed Evolve for me. I felt almost obligated to "completionist" it for each race (which meant using an addon to automate the annoying parts, as retreading the same ground over and over gets boring quick) before getting to the more entertaining bits deeper into a run. Especially when achievements can be repeated across the different universes (such as having to do "Evil" runs for each race all over). That's before considering the star levels for those achievements.

The depth of content is there, but getting there is a matter of ceaselessly repeating the same achievements over and over until it becomes viable to do so.

Were there more automation options built-in to unlock, I feel like I could stick with it for longer periods. Otherwise I feel I'm constantly babysitting it for any sense of progress.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 05:54:50 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2023, 07:40:09 pm »

Speaking of evolve, something I pulled off the discord:
Spoiler: scripting (click to show/hide)
You stick it in your browser's console, and if you have a resource, it maxes that resource and keeps it there. Suddenly I'm having a bit of fun with this thing and no longer thinking quite so hard of walking away :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2023, 09:45:00 pm »

As far as I know.

Longest idle games are...in no particular order

Trimps
Sandcastle builder
Evolveidle
Kittens game
Antimatter dimensions
Meltoridle I think it's called
Realmidle
And that one god idle game can find on steam+mobile

Of those. Kittens and evolve seem similar. Kittens can take a year+ to finish. Evolve being deeper, more content and still updated means it beats it though. It's also updated by a volunteer dev team. Not just one person. It's probably the longest one in this list cause has the most updates and been out a while. Plus has random devs to add stuff. I'd expect 3-4 years to finish (depending how often you play and don't use cheats or bots or clickers) as of this post ignoring more updates

Sandcastle builder is said to have 2+ years to finish. Not updated anymore

Trimps the same as above. Don't think updated anymore

Antimatter a couple years as well. Don't think updated anymore

God game whatever it's called apparently the 2nd longest? Didn't like it though. Think gets updates still

Meltoridle apparently long too. Not interested in that one.

Dunno how long realmidle is, guess it's unbeatable dunno if that counts. I'd say no.

Missing any? That can actually be finished...ignoring any updates that may add stuff
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 09:52:27 pm by The_Explorer »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2023, 01:41:02 pm »

You forgot NGU Idle. It recieved it last 'Lore's End' update in June 2021
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2023, 03:16:58 am »

I just recalled my favorite idle game: The First Alkahistorian. Enjoy.

(EDIT: Shit wait it's pretty interactive. Incremental game? Either way it's staying)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 03:18:36 am by Micro102 »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2023, 12:45:23 pm »

The first alkahistorian is great one of my favorites for sure, the third stage in particular is very unique and imo quite interesting in what it tries to and what it does achieve. Too bad it's unfinished and seemingly abandoned. (unless that's changed since I last played)

The first two stages are decent as well, good short incrementals.

Also there's a real story going on, which I think is nice and necessary for this game at least. Although makes it even more of an issue that it's incomplete.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2023, 03:42:44 am »

I want infinite of the 3rd stage. It's addicting.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2023, 01:08:08 pm »

I've been playing Idle Skilling. It's interesting, but not particularly well-made (a noticeable amount of bugs, things aren't explained or are explained poorly/incorrectly, the auto-attack option is garbage and expensive, etc.).

Build stats, earn money fighting to improve things faster, ascend to unlock more stuff and bonuses when you've slowed down, repeat. There is premium currency, but you can earn it in-game (mainly a basketball minigame daily and a pachinko machine, but you can get bonuses that allow boss fights to drop them as well).

I'm about 2 weeks in, and now idling is a faster way to kill enemies than actively fighting. But you need to be present to go to the next area, even if you've got the auto-advance. I think you have to visit another screen for a minimum of 2 minutes to get credit for your idle time, which is annoying when you want to log in, check everything quick, then get one more thing you couldn't quite afford upgraded before logging off.

Edit: But it works well on mobile! And doesn't require an auto-clicker at any point that I have found, which is also good news for mobile players. And doesn't have ads.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2023, 06:22:34 am »

Idle Skilling and Legends of Idleon are made by the same developer (Lavaflame2), who seems to have something of a problem with overmonetization of their games, and prioritizing adding in money-making things over fixing bugs and making the game fun to play.

They're not *bad* games if you stick to the free side of things, but they are frustrating to play after a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10