Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Idle games (2)  (Read 18413 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idle games (2)
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2023, 10:04:29 am »

I've been honestly playing the frig out of Evolve for quite a while now. I've been enjoying bouncing back and forth between quick active runs and deep idle-heavy runs. I also just recently completed my first "ascension" reset, and unlocked
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you're getting into it, I heartily recommend unlocking challenge genes as quickly as possible (via CRISPR) so you can start doing 3- or 4- star runs. The main form of long-term progression in the game is tied to achievements ("Mastery") and doing them under higher challenge levels greatly multiplies their effect. Not to mention it adds a multiplier to the prestige resources you get from resetting. There's also various challenge modes/scenarios that offer permanent upgrades when you complete them, with greater effect at higher star levels.

Also here's a random small tip I only discovered after many hundreds of hours: You can click on the name of any of the uncapped professions on your list (e.g. Farmer or Quarry Worker) and it will set that as the default profession for new citizens instead of "Unemployed". Very useful if you're building a ton of housing and then leaving it to idle.

Also, I've found this Evolve spreadsheet to be very helpful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SP11y21XwYAIRUa0mq3X58MP3F6KTJpsDNA2dFYYJvQ/edit?pli=1#gid=814253182
There's also the (very good) official wiki linked at the very bottom of the game page with up-to-date information, which has the added bonus of automatically integrating your current game save data to (for example) highlight which achievements/perks you've earned/are missing.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2023, 10:14:59 am »

I just realized that my cacti race on the planet Bikanel is a Final Fantasy reference. Bikanel Desert, FFX/FFX-2.
As is the description of the cacti race.
"They are surprisingly fast-moving, but easily startled"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2023, 05:42:05 pm »

Haha I started with cacti too!  I didn't get the FF reference.
Also here's a random small tip I only discovered after many hundreds of hours: You can click on the name of any of the uncapped professions on your list (e.g. Farmer or Quarry Worker) and it will set that as the default profession for new citizens instead of "Unemployed". Very useful if you're building a ton of housing and then leaving it to idle.
Ooh that's handy, I missed that.  I stopped for now but thanks!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2023, 06:47:38 pm »

... y'know, I'm checking that evolve thing out and... can you really not progress without researching currency? My autoclicker powered mold people wanted to live in a moneyless society ;_;

e: seriously though how do these people know to demand money to build more buildings if the species has no concept of money, what is this nonsense
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2023, 04:51:59 am »

Evolve: You can never have enough cement plants.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2023, 04:55:34 am »

I've found it easier to just buy cement if you need lots of it.

That said, if you need several cement plants, you will need a lot of stone quarriers, which in turn yields a lot more aluminum. And you do need lots of aluminum. I just completed my first supercollider and aluminum was the main limiter on that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2023, 05:25:10 am »

Heh, I could have sworn that I did 1 bioseed reset, but my stats screen says I only did 14 MAD resets.

EDIT: yes, I must have done a bioseed reset, because I do not only have plasmids, I have phage as well. I guess some game update messed up my progress?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 05:27:09 am by martinuzz »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2023, 05:52:27 am »

So I've been playing incremancer, and it seems the biggest bottleneck is brains. Now I already learned that bones disappeared after a while so I'm wondering if there is something I missed with brains as well, or if I should just dump prestige points into brain income.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2023, 05:58:43 am »

That said, if you need several cement plants, you will need a lot of stone quarriers, which in turn yields a lot more aluminum.
Note that while playing cacti (and the other races that do not have quarries, but produce amber instead), aluminum yield is not based off the amber, but on the mines instead. So no extra aluminum from the stone used in cement production for those races.

Micro, use prestige to increase brains income indeed.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2023, 08:38:05 pm »

Managed to research MAD. Haven't pushed the button yet, I think I'm going to finish up the research I can, and try to pump out as much housing before cost creep makes that too difficult. Right now I'm rated at 98 Plasmids, +2 I picked up from genetic research.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2023, 06:29:08 am »

Housing, barracks (the number of alive soldiers also adds to plasmids), and less important that early, research. Don't spend half an hour on 2-3 points more plasmids, but yeah, if you can squeeze some more of the three things mentioned in less than that time, go ahead.

Otherwise, just press that MAD, that will be more efficient than pushing a few last points.

Also, grats on reaching your first prestige milestone!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 07:26:47 am by martinuzz »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2023, 09:41:36 am »

Evolve is much like Kittens. You think you've reached the end and then it just keeps expanding. Evolve also has the benefit of being an achievement chasers either nightmare or heaven depending on how you view that chart of it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2023, 07:43:31 pm »

Pushed the button, 107 Plasmids plus 4 from genetic research. Would have done it earlier but I wanted to build one of the ARPA projects to see how effective it was(it wasn't).

Might do a plant race next, previous species was elf, so it makes sense.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2023, 10:38:46 pm »

Personally I got fed up with Evolve because I reached a point where the game just stalled out.

Don't know if I'd fucked up or if it would have sped up later, I just recall it taking forever to expand my industry and research at the same time so it all slowed to a crawl.

Maybe I'll give it a full restart, it's been a couple years I think.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2023, 11:08:53 pm »

Evolve is made to be restarted multiple times.  Even though I only did 2 MADs before I did a Geneseed restart before I slogged to a universe restart.  It was the wrong choice and took a long time to accomplish.  I learned when I came back to the game to just do a bunch of MADs, then some Geneseeds to get plasmids and also get achievements.

Evolve really rewards people who stick with the game for months and restart often.  So many races to play, so many worlds with random challenges, so many different universes, dimensional challenge runs.

Just need to restart early, and often.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 11:16:14 pm by Shooer »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10