Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Dark Designs: Turn Two-Battle Phase  (Read 12207 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs: Turn One-Revision Phase
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2021, 02:29:48 am »

Quote from: Votebox
(pick two)
Legion Auxiliaries (tier 1): (1) Madman
Disguise Sounds: (0)
Darkfire Bolt: (0)
Piercing Darkfire: (2) Nirur, King Zultan
Orcish Officer Corps: (3) Madman, Nirur, King Zultan
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2021, 07:06:01 am »

You do realize that archers are incredibly important in sieges, right? And that scouts to warn us about anything, say, approaching from behind us, might be essential should we get a "horns of the North" moment right when we start winning?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2021, 09:35:47 am »

(pick two)
Legion Auxiliaries (tier 1): (2) Madman, Glass
Piercing Darkfire: (2) Nirur, King Zultan
Orcish Officer Corps: (4) Madman, Nirur, King Zultan, Glass
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2021, 09:40:53 am »

(pick two)
Piercing Darkfire: (3) Nirur, King Zultan, TricMagic
Orcish Officer Corps: (4) Madman, Nirur, King Zultan, Glass, TricMagic

Fire!

And yeah, archers as a design. Along with better mages.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:42:36 am by TricMagic »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2021, 09:55:16 am »

You... do understand that archers can set their arrows on fire, yes? All it requires is some rags and oil. It’s a tried and tested technique for sieges, and it will provide a great deal more fire than the piercing dark firebolts simply by dint of the fact that so many more of our soldiers will be able to use it.
Aside from that, having a solid group of scouts and rangers is exceedingly useful. If we had more and more skilled arcanists, then certainly I would approve of increasing their arsenal, but as things stand, you are trying to push through a spell that precious few of our units would even be capable of casting, and which is little better than a good warhammer when it comes to breaking through armor.

Quite honestly, if I were to design a spell made to fulfill the apparent purpose of piercing darkfire, I would use lightning. It will seek out heavy metal armor by its nature, and strikes through it all the same. But regardless, this particular trick, while certainly of interest, is not the best use of our resources at this time. Before anything else, our military core needs to reach at least a basic standard of competence and versatility.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2021, 10:00:24 am »

Dark Lightningbolt

An alteration to the base spell, the caster gathers a stream of darkness and thrusts it forth to the target. The arcs of electricity sap away spirit while messing with vitality. While it can be controlled to a degree, it is particularly accurate against metal-clad foes and those in flight. Multiple casters can come together to gather larger amounts of energy to use as a siege-breaker spell as well, capable of setting flammables alight or destroying wooden fortifications like doors and ropes.

(pick two)
Piercing Darkfire: (2) Nirur, King Zultan,
Orcish Officer Corps: (4) Madman, Nirur, King Zultan, Glass, TricMagic
Dark Lightningbolt: (1) TricMagic
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 10:02:13 am by TricMagic »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2021, 10:15:29 am »

(pick two)
Piercing Darkfire: (3) Nirur, King Zultan, Rockeater
Orcish Officer Corps: (5) Madman, Nirur, King Zultan, Glass, TricMagic, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2021, 10:22:38 am »

We don't need particularly need a scouting branch for a surprise assault on a castle. If you want to put forth the effort to protect the flanks from ambush, I think we'll be able to use trained officers and order the strategy to send patrols to trip any ambushes. Even if not, our current force superiority, with officers to harden morale, should suffice to prevent ambushes from majorly hindering us.

You... do understand that archers can set their arrows on fire, yes? All it requires is some rags and oil. It’s a tried and tested technique for sieges, and it will provide a great deal more fire than the piercing dark firebolts simply by dint of the fact that so many more of our soldiers will be able to use it.
The point is that Piercing Darkfire can go through stone walls and fill a tower or a guardhouse with fire. Burning arrows or lightning can't do those.

You do realize that archers are incredibly important in sieges, right?
Skirmishers are not especially effective siege archers, and against unprepared defenders, we don't especially need archers to provide cover fire. If we take long enough for the defenders to rally, then we've taken too long to reach the dark lord, and skirmishers wouldn't especially help against those numbers.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 10:36:04 am by Nirur Torir »

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2021, 12:55:54 pm »

If the darkfire spell were easier to develop and cast then it might be a good choice, but as it is I think the auxillaries are a better use of resources.

(pick two)
Legion Auxiliaries (tier 1): (3) Madman, Glass, Sudorandom
Orcish Officer Corps: (6) Madman, Nirur, King Zultan, Glass, TricMagic, Rockeater, Sudorandom

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2021, 01:00:20 pm »

(pick two)
Legion Auxiliaries (tier 1): (4) Madman, Glass, Sudorandom, m1895
Orcish Officer Corps: (7) Madman, Nirur, King Zultan, Glass, TricMagic, Rockeater, Sudorandom, m1895
I'll pass on eating a -1 on a 1d6.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2021, 01:03:44 pm »

(pick two)
Piercing Darkfire: (4) Nirur, King Zultan, Rockeater, TricMagic
Orcish Officer Corps: (7) Madman, Nirur, King Zultan, Glass, TricMagic, Rockeater, Sudorandom, m1895
Dark Lightningbolt: (0)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2021, 01:07:23 pm »

(pick two)
Orcish Officer Corps: ( 8 ) Madman, Nirur, King Zultan, Glass, TricMagic, Rockeater, Sudorandom, m1895
Just a small edit to fix the officer corp vote count. Wasn’t necessary probably, but I wanted it to be correct.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2021, 03:41:00 pm »

Orcish Resilience
The standard orc is already quite tough, but with some minor alterations to the shaping process, we can substantially increase their survivability.
The most funded and most important improvement is a greatly increased disease resistance, allowing the orc to shrug off most mundane afflictions that could kill or cripple most mortals. The other improvements include minor things like bleeding out less, surviving  and bones having cleaner fractures, but notably not pain tolerance. The end result being that of our battlefield casualties, many will get up and be ready for the next battle, and attrition rates are a fraction of what they would have been.

Might as well see how shaping revs scale.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2021, 03:47:41 pm »

Orcish Resilience
The standard orc is already quite tough, but with some minor alterations to the shaping process, we can substantially increase their survivability.
The most funded and most important improvement is a greatly increased disease resistance, allowing the orc to shrug off most mundane afflictions that could kill or cripple most mortals. The other improvements include minor things like bleeding out less, surviving  and bones having cleaner fractures, but notably not pain tolerance. The end result being that of our battlefield casualties, many will get up and be ready for the next battle, and attrition rates are a fraction of what they would have been.

Might as well see how shaping revs scale.
Orcish Regeneration
Much like the speed at which orcs can be grown, this can be translated to also include the speed at which they heal. While not enough to catch blades in wounds, it will reduce our casualty rate, improve the physical gains from training, and perhaps most importantly allow them to rejoin a fight if not properly killed by a mace to the brain. As Orc Skulls are actually quite tough to pierce due to their thickness and the regeneration helping in strong bone growth.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2021, 04:12:00 pm »

(pick two)
Legion Auxiliaries (tier 1): (5) Madman, Glass, Sudorandom, m1895, Spin
Orcish Officer Corps: ( 9 ) Madman, Nirur, King Zultan, Glass, TricMagic, Rockeater, Sudorandom, m1895, Spin

Not sure what some of you have against an emergency ranged corps. It's not like we can't supersede it later.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14