Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unintended consequences of modding too hard, a thread  (Read 1721 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Unintended consequences of modding too hard, a thread
« on: November 01, 2021, 08:47:40 pm »

So I just had a civilization that seems to keep purging its own citizens, presumably for them possessing the [BLOODSUCKER] tag. Despite presumably all citizens wanting the taste of warm blood.

Anyone else have any funny unintended side effects of modding too hard on the history of the world?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unintended consequences of modding too hard, a thread
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 08:46:33 pm »

That's hilarious, but very definitely a bug; You should make a report on Mantis, if you haven't already
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 03:26:36 am »

That's hilarious, but very definitely a bug; You should make a report on Mantis, if you haven't already

Toady very rarely fixes things that are only relevant for modded games, unfortunately.  Citizens purging their bloodsuckers is intended; if that does weird stuff in a modded civ made up of bloodsuckers then that's generally considered the fault of the mod, not a bug.

Anyone else have any funny unintended side effects of modding too hard on the history of the world?

I made a civ of aggressive insectoids whose subgroups were constantly at war with each other.  I'm not 100% sure what causes it, but they had no civilization-wide ruler, and every site had its own "hive queen" who was in charge of all military responsibilities.  However it happened, their civilizations would immediately fragment into four or five groups, who would almost always become embroiled in territorial disputes with each other and go to war (unlike most conflicts which start due to different ethics, these would be listed as conflicts over territory, grazing rights, or water rights).  This was even better than I expected, so I decided to keep it.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 09:44:02 am »

Toady very rarely fixes things that are only relevant for modded games, unfortunately.  Citizens purging their bloodsuckers is intended; if that does weird stuff in a modded civ made up of bloodsuckers then that's generally considered the fault of the mod, not a bug.

I made a civ of aggressive insectoids whose subgroups were constantly at war with each other.  I'm not 100% sure what causes it, but they had no civilization-wide ruler, and every site had its own "hive queen" who was in charge of all military responsibilities.  However it happened, their civilizations would immediately fragment into four or five groups, who would almost always become embroiled in territorial disputes with each other and go to war (unlike most conflicts which start due to different ethics, these would be listed as conflicts over territory, grazing rights, or water rights).  This was even better than I expected, so I decided to keep it.

What was their stance on killing entity members? Any value more accepting than JUSTIFIED_IF_EXTREME_REASON tends to result in factional warfare.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 02:21:48 am »

For anyone wondering why this likely happened (for example, if they want to replicate it): Civilizations without a civilization-level position with MILITARY_GOALS will have their sites wage war on each other (as mentioned on the wiki).

Coincidentally I first learned of this when making my aggressive insectoids who are governed only on a site level by their hive queens :P

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 11:11:52 am »

So I just had a civilization that seems to keep purging its own citizens, presumably for them possessing the [BLOODSUCKER] tag. Despite presumably all citizens wanting the taste of warm blood.

so If I remember this is the result of citizens ethics on killing being not on unthinkable levels, and also bloodsucker seeks out anyone with blood so having a creature with this token and having blood means they are prone to being drained by their own kind while also getting a murder rep and either exiled or exterminated for doing a murder.
messing with that to cut down on the extermination on feeding also ends up with said bloodsucker group preying on anyone that moves into the town with blood so the purge rate might go down but it probably wouldn't be 0.
also you do end up with scenarios of if anyone from that bloodsucking civ move out of their town to a different one with blood they probably will screw up and get killed for draining folks.

that said, finding out about extravision works well with line of sight interactions was interesting for a modded world save, and also led to zombies that die then get reanimated from an unseen force down in the caverns. I guess one could pull off warlock or sorcerer build with an unseen being granting magical powers and boons to certain units. 
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes