Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Bay12 NetBattlers: The S-Files  (Read 16476 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 NetBattlers: An Unlikely Tomb
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2022, 03:15:27 pm »

WindKight Action: Count the number of alcoves along the wall and peer inside of them to see if they have anything that might have something to do with the list he found, or anything interesting otherwise.

Normal Sense: [4] - Failure.

The alcoves are unlabelled and there's no graffiti or other unofficial markings. They probably had real statues at some point, before they were replaced or converted into viruses.

Additional: Spend my History Buff (Net) talent for this 'session' to learn something about the list!

The list seems to be related to the leaders of the legendary Ionian War. Namely those fighting on the Ionian side, which would make them enemies of the ancient Kytherans if the myths and legends are true.

Naturally Kauko would also know that Zephyr the Younger and his daimon Gladdener led the Kytherian force during the Ionian War. According to the legends he was one of the few Kytherans who wanted to participate in the war. After returning to the city and finding it in flames, he threw himself into the sea for failing his countrymen and leading the city to destruction.

Snowman: attempt to hack the terminal!

Normal Coding: [1] [5] [6] - Success!

There isn't much to hack on the terminal. The bibliography about Xanthippus the Elder doesn't have any extra options or unexpected functionality, despite its obvious academical interest. Snowman can't find any hidden messages either, but the singular one isn't encrypted and so can be easily access as well.

Quote from: HouseHolder
To Eugraphios and those of the mysteries,

Damn the Xanthans, damn the Zeleians and damn the Hermians! May their fields produce no grain and their ships net no fish. May their spears splinter and their connectors snap. The city burns but we have hidden the treasures of Semele Sofóteros from them and so we might recover and rebuild. The alcove contains the information needed to find them, if we cannot contact them. Despair if you cannot read them, for it surely means the end of our fair city and our illustrious order!

The Arae System seems to control the electronic lock in the tomb, which isn't very surprising given that there's nothing else that could operate it. Naturally it demands a password, but the system is standard for ancient Kytheria and not especially complicated. Having seen many similar ones before, Snowman doesn't have much trouble subverting the system. It could probably use a few security patches after thousands of years.

With a satisfying click, the electronic lock disengages and the light on it turns green. Of course Lumi or Kauko still need to climb up and actually see what is inside, but at least they don't have to try and force it open while doing so.

Spoiler: NetOp Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Navi Status (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2022, 09:39:03 am »

"Hmm, nothing of interest apparent to my aged scanning equipment...will any secrets remain buried? Not if SnowMan uses his scanning equipment!"

At least given a moment to rest his weary bones, WindKnight propped himself against a wall and began exploring the interesting program Kauko had installed in him earlier.

HeavenTrack obviously was not directly useful, unless you believed in lucky stars. It seemed all intents and purposes, a calendar. WindKnight was curious and he suspected it served a ceremonial function. Back in his day certain classes of Priestly Navi were expected to carry HolyPnl chips to bless those in trouble. In any case, the dates and celestial alignments could be useful to know-once he translated the dates anyway-who knew what surprises the old ones had programmed for certain confluences of time, space, and deity mood?

Maybe he would try growing his Digiplants by celestial alignment!

"...Jackpot! SnowMans opened the panel....hey, where did the urn go? Ah, never mind. We've got the real treasure-Lumi! I'll give you a boost up this time, you know, like when we were kids?

Lehtonen-Bot! Combine and Activate!"
Kauko said nerdily.

WindKnight Action: Activate HeavenTrack NCP and translate the dates to modern times as best as possible-search for any interesting lunar alignments, harvest time, festivals, confluences etc. Especially those occurring very close to the present day.
Kauko Action: Go to give Lumi a boost up to the now opened alcove
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 02:51:49 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2022, 10:54:27 am »

Score glanced around the room. It seemed the fighting was done, at least for the moment, and what exploring there was to be done yet was being addressed by the rest of the crew. "If there are no objections, I will be returning to Lehtonen-sama." She glanced upward at nothing in particular as Score began to message her operator once again. . . at which point she became aware of the antics he was getting up to.

>I am ready to jack out now.
>This assumes you are finished with your current task, of course.
>I would not want to interrupt your CrossSoul.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2022, 03:01:27 pm »

Kauko noted Score on his PET, and was surprised it was more than just a dry status report. An eyebrow arched slightly behind wire-framed lenses. He chuckled.

"...That's pretty funny, Score-a good joke! Never thought of it that way. Hey, did you find your humor file somewhere?" Kauko messaged back, hardly interrupting his geeky 'robo-walk'.

"Also, getting out now is a good idea I suppose, unless you had any idea about where to look for treasure-jacking out is really automatic, you know? I don't need to do much on my end. We'll just have to analyze whatever we find up here once we're done with our circus routine-and if it warrants going back into the server, we'll want to be well prepared. The message Snowman found said it contained information of some sort..."

Score glanced around the room. It seemed the fighting was done, at least for the moment, and what exploring there was to be done yet was being addressed by the rest of the crew. "If there are no objections, I will be returning to Lehtonen-sama."

"...There seems to be no obvious danger. I will be leaving myself shortly..." WindKnight said, stars and planets spinning in a diagram before him. Hey, why was Earth in the center? Might be an error in his translation software...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 03:08:47 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2022, 11:01:25 pm »

Score nodded to WindKnight, gave another passing glance to SnowMan and MushroomMan, then looked up at the "sky" and disappeared in a beam of light.
>No significant damage was taken, but per your usual requests, a code examination may be called for later.
>I am an advanced combat Navi. I am well-equipped for all forms of combat, including verbal.

It was difficult to tell whether this was another joke, given Score's typical behavior.
>WindKnight seems to be distracted with the HeavenTrack program.
>Perhaps a copy of it would be useful to him.
>Or, a further distraction. Either is possible.

Inside the PET, Score turned her attention to the plant she'd received. She hadn't quite had the chance to set up the water for the thing, so she figured now would be a good time. She set to work, attempting to fashion an automatic sprinkler from the code she'd received. . .
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2022, 01:46:03 am »

"I ought to start calling you Otakauko, you dork," Lumi said teasingly as she accepted the boost. "Let's see what was valuable enough to lock away like this..."

Snowman rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he put his rifle away. "You might as well chill and get some rest, Score," he said, acknowledging her decision to head back into the PET. As for him, there were still things to do. He raised a hand to the... well, he wasn't sure what the name of the device over his left eye was, but Kauko had jokingly called it a 'scouter' before so he figured the term was good enough. With a push of a button on the side, the glass switched from a rangefinding program to a thermal imaging program, and he gave the room another sweep.

Lumi: Accept the boost, get the goodies from the alcove?
Snowman.exe: Activate Blindsense and look around for anything the team might have missed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:40:23 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2022, 08:27:47 pm »

WindKnight Action: Activate HeavenTrack NCP and translate the dates to modern times as best as possible-search for any interesting lunar alignments, harvest time, festivals, confluences etc. Especially those occurring very close to the present day.

As sophisticated as the ancient Achaeans were, their knowledge of astronomy wasn't perfect. Over the centuries the HeavenTrack NCP has gotten over a month out of sync with the seasons and lunar cycles. Any connections between the NCP's dates and significant events in the modern day are almost certainly coincidental.

Of course that doesn't stop WindKnight from producing an entire list of connections.

Kauko Action: Go to give Lumi a boost up to the now opened alcove

Lumi: Accept the boost, get the goodies from the alcove?

Easy Speed: [3] [6] [6] - Success!

With the boost from Kauko, Lumi has no trouble climbing up to the alcove to investigate its contents now that the gate is unlocked. The interior isn't full of gold or gems or any other treasures, but what it does have is an Antikytheran storage chip. It is basically an oversized battle chip, made from the same cloudy glass and ceramics. The only identifiable marking is a relief of the goddess Semele carrying a bushel of wheat, hardly an exceptional design.

If the chip had a protective covering it must have rotted away, but the copper connectors are barely tarnished after all of the centuries lying in the tomb. The chip seems to be in excellent condition, so whatever was so important to have been locked away should still be intact. It might not be gold or gems, but hopefully it's something just as valuable.

Snowman.exe: Activate Blindsense and look around for anything the team might have missed.

Snowman.exe doesn't see anything with his blindsense. The only thing unusual about the server is modifications to control the electronic lock, and that has already been disable and investigated.

Spoiler: NetOp Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Navi Status (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2022, 10:57:54 am »

"...seems we're about done here. Let's go before the Rangers show up. We've looted the tomb of everything obviously important. WindKnight, time to jack out-hope you had fun with that goofy calendar...." Kauko spoke to his PET.

"...Ah, jacking out. One last request, however! Might you ask Ser Lowell if I can borrow his repair enchantment? It's only polite we mend some of the damage we caused before we leave. I also want to share some words with the Prog-I wasn't able to speak with the little fellow before we were interrupted! And I hate leaving without a proper introduction." WindKnight conferred, disappearing back into his PET in a tornado gust, leaving Snow and Shroom man alone in the altar.

Kauko didn't like to waste time, but he supposed in this case, he was sympathetic to WindKnights desires. He didn't like to see history obliterated by careless destruction and the server would have enough trouble cleaning up the giant Mushrooms before it ran out of juice in its internal battery, only momentarily charged by their generator. Then the server would just...stop. Until someone powered it again. In truth, the concept of the server just freezing in time again dismayed him a bit. He couldn't say why, but someone opening the thing in another 100 years and seeing the damage he had caused just made him feel...something...that wasn't entirely shame, but close to it. Peoples marks on the future should be positive, right?

"...Hey, Damian! Once you've jacked out ShroomMan, can you let me borrow your repair chip? WindKnight needs it for...something or the other. Don't worry, I'll give it back." Kauko called up.

Action: If Damian lets me borrow the repair chip, WindKnight jacks in with it loaded and confers friendly-like with the Prog while fixing some of the damage to the server, seeing if he has any useful information or secrets left. When this action is accomplished-and there's no obvious reason to stick around-afterwards, both of them are ready to leave.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:45:35 am by Dwarmin »

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2022, 11:34:48 am »

ShroomMan.EXE was, for the most part, busy with patting the mushroom minion he created earlier. He's not in a hurry, at least according to himself.

Damian meanwhile nodded towards Kauko. "Sure. I can already guess why... We're hitting the road, Shroom!"

ShroomMan.EXE looked at his new friend one more time before waving it goodbye while getting jacked out. Said friend stares at where ShroomMan.EXE stood just a second ago, and slowly but surely, without the presence of the Navi to provide his Element to the area, it became inert, passive, returning back to the simple environmental mushroom data it was before.

Damian: Jack out his Navi, then toss Kauko his Repair chip.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2022, 01:15:02 am »

Snowman realized he was the last one left in the server. "No reason to stick around here, then. Lumi, get me out."

"You got it!" She suited action to word and returned Snowman.EXE to the PET. Once he was squared away, Lumi walked over to where they had entered. "I'll give you a boost out when you're ready," she said.

Snowman.EXE: Go home to the PET.
Lumi: Be ready to help Kauko leave the area.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2022, 02:32:24 pm »

Kauko realized he was going to be the last one left in the tomb. He didn't like the idea of permanent residency...

"...Please do! WindKnight, hurry up in there...yes, yes, I know you can't hurry civility!" Kauko prodded his PET. At least he could finish his drink before they left...

Kauko was already considering the previous battle and between sips of his E-Tank, was consulting scrolling combat data...he kept accurate combat statistics on all the navi he had a hand in creating or repurposing.

"...Oh, and Lumi, I've been thinking about our strategy and how we need to adjust to working with a team, rather than as solo...that Bubbler chip of yours, it amplifies SnowMans element-I know it's a favorite of yours. But, how about you let WindKnight handle the battlefield manipulation?

He's gotten some good utility from his rallying ability...he can set up elemental attacks for SnowMan, and then give him a performance boost all in one go! And since I don't have a lot of room in WindKnight folder right now, I'll trade back my Attack +1. It's useful for any navi who relies on standard attacks, like he does-and SnowMan could always use a bit of punching power, right? Especially when we run into heavily armored enemies like those Craggers again.

Of course, these chips are pretty common...I could probably pick one up later. But it'd save zenny to trade now."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2022, 02:36:45 pm »

"I can always buy another Bubbler later," Lumi said. "Sure, we can make a trade. I don't think Snowman will mind."

Make the Bubbler <-> +1 Attack trade.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2022, 03:10:38 pm »

Kauko deftly swapped his relatively new attack +1 chip (with a small holo-screen showing a comet striking leftwards, along with the words +10), for a slightly older bubbler chip-with a peeling sticker showing a red Shrimpy virus, albeit one in ceremonial Antikytheran armor, which was the usual variation on the Shrimpy that sometimes appeared in these parts.

Kauko wasn't sure if that specific variant of viruses (the ShrimpyA) had gone extinct yet. The base Shrimpy themselves seemed ridiculously difficult to eradicate, however-the more common type could be found in any device connected to a liquid medium such as a coffee machine or water fountain-and, they had a curious affinity for traveling in signals not connected to hardlines...

"Thanks! Well, what do you know, it's an original 4th edition Bubbler, R-coded, recently upgraded to 8th edition...got some carbon scouring...you probably got a lot of use out of this one...

...Now I just need an Enviroseed-that will actually help out most of us. And possibly some electrical charging capability for Scores holograms? I haven't entirely figured out how those work..."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 03:29:24 pm by Dwarmin »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2022, 11:05:46 pm »

Action: If Damian lets me borrow the repair chip, WindKnight jacks in with it loaded and confers friendly-like with the Prog while fixing some of the damage to the server, seeing if he has any useful information or secrets left. When this action is accomplished-and there's no obvious reason to stick around-afterwards, both of them are ready to leave.

Judging from the clues and the unoccupied alcoves, the memorial server was shut down not long after its initial setup. As such the Prog has no more information or secrets left to divulge, having already talked about everything it knows about the four navis (presumably) involved with setting up the lock. It still has plenty to talk about, of course, as Progs are always happy to chat if given the slightest opportunity. It just talks about nothing important as WindKnight repairs some of the damage and decay to the server with the battlechip. Even so, the happy beeps it lets out afterwards is surely a reward in and of itself.

Assuming you don't care about zenny, of course.

With the tomb looted, at least as far as everyone can tell, it's time to leave. Titania pulls up the wires, adapters and parts and tucks them away before doing what she can to help Kouko and Lumi climb up out of the tomb and through the narrow tunnel. The group has disturbed the dust and debris too much to remove any traces of their presence, but they can at least obscure them in case anyone stumbles upon the tomb and tries to determine who robbed its contents.

Titania pings her brother to come pick them up and then leads everyone on the hike back to the access road. While it is as dark as when they first set out, it is easier since it is downhill and with the lights of the city to help guide them. The ranger patrols seem to be lighter as well, for while the whine of their bikes can occasionally be heard they even approach close enough to force everyone to hide. While it doesn't make the journey any less tense, it allows everyone to make good time and eventually reach the safety of Thomas's food truck.

The Katsaros siblings occupy the front seats, leaving room in the back for Damian, Kouko and Lumi to sit down as the truck motors down the road. Ti searches through the glove compartment for a few moments before pulling out a first-aid kit for Kouko and Lumi's scrapes and bruises. They did take a bit of a tumble back there. "Well? What did you find? You sounded pretty excited," Thomas says, turning his head around until Ti elbows him in the ribs. "Pay attention to the road," she says, before turning in her seat to speak to the rest of the group.

"Do you want to check the storage chip or let TrustyFriend check it out?" she asks Lumi, who was still holding onto the prize. Her PET let out a chime as she holds out the adapter for Lumi, though Titania gives it a shake and blocks it before TrustyFriend could interrupt. No doubt he was drooling over the opportunity to examine it but she had found it first and had earned the right to double-check it first.

Of course Thomas is too busy driving to do the same with his PET as it lets out a chime. "Did you encounter any trouble?" OctoWoman asks. "TrustyFriend couldn't have been any help if you did. I should have been there instead of him." Ti's PET chimes again, but this time she is ready and it lets out only two notes before she silences it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2022, 10:52:42 am »

Kauko idly scratched at the baby-mettaur bandage on his knee. Good thing nobody had actually gotten injured. Lumi might get away with explaining a broken leg and the hospital bill to Mom and Dad, but Kauko wasn't really into extreme sports...or any sports.

Since Tatiana was here, he was trying to act a bit more cool than usual. As many Navi no doubt experienced, Kauko responded as if Tatiana had spoken, and not Octo-Woman.

"...Nothing we couldn't handle. Fighting these old viruses is like doing homework-once you've learned how, it's just rote repetition. And we got a nice haul, some data-frags, interesting old fashioned chips and NCP programs-one of which I'm still de-compiling...had to snatch it out of the ether when we triggered a bug-trap. We'll have to be more careful of those in the future.

Unfortunately I think someone already robbed the place, possibly a very long time ago. But they left something behind...

We won't know the full score til we pop open that storage chip...it's possible we got the mother of all red herrings-there was a note on the interior terminal about the 'Hidden Treasures of Semele Sofóteros', and that that the alcove contained the secrets on how to find it. There was a text dump with a list of names I easily identified as leaders of the Ionian forces during the ancient war and the note made reference to hiding them as city fell.

There's also the urn Lumi found, but it seems we're a bit deadlocked on if to open it or sell it for full price..."

Most notably, WindKnight did respond to OctoWoman.

"We hardly needed the assistance, though I would be honored to join you in battle anytime, OctoWoman! I'm sure TrustyFriend would have also acquitted himself admirably. But ultimately, the risk is ours to take. We must all handle our parts.

Also, Kauko-a pouch full of Zounds...er, Zenny, is fine and good, but I have my eye on some of these spells. If we can arm ourselves appropriately, it behooves us to do so!"
WindKnight spoke from his own PET, on the floor of the van, propped against the side panel. In his world, there was a slight rumbling to everything.

Kaukos double PET had a dual-screen system, which meant WindKnight and Scores images and voices could be seen side by side when speaking together. But when only one of them was speaking, their image was the only one.

His room was slightly larger now to hold all the data they had collected. His interior armory, usually bare, was filled with powerful armaments-two of which were being worked on forges via floating blacksmith tools-hammers, tongs, and bellows refining the data before it could be used.

"Unless we find some other use, these old chips are no better or worse than modern ones, except they're usually worth alone what a full price chip would be. It's better to sell them if you can find one on the net, but if you can't, there's no sense in not putting them to use. We should definitely consider if we're going to sell them or use them to go for bigger scores.."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 11:13:35 am by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13