Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Bay12 NetBattlers: The S-Files  (Read 16437 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 NetBattlers: An Unlikely Tomb
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2021, 12:33:27 pm »

"One more! Then the other one..." WindKnight stated flatly. Cleanup was not his favorite duty, but it was important-these spells and scrolls were valuable weapons in the fight to come.

He approached the remains of mettaur that had been tossed into the wall by ShroomMans opening wind volley, and subsequently skewered by Score. Kauko would no doubt fume-this data was the oldest having been deleted in the fight and might have suffered some additional degradation.

WindKnight only noted a hairline crack had formed in the ancient mural on the walls where the Mettaur had struck it. The murals were beautiful to him, if no one else. He could see details others could not. Unfortunate, to see it mistreated so...would they all lived in brighter times, he wished he could lead a life of wisdom, rather than violence.

His visors light turned cold and grey with a brief and fleeing melancholy. Maybe he could convince ShroomMan to help repair it with his tools before they left.

As he went to work on the data, WindKnight idly noted a lurking bug in his aging translation system-apparently he'd been calling himself AirKnight for a few minutes now, and Kauko's words had also been reading as that to him. How embarrassing. He put a note to himself to manual correct the record for later reading and scheduled a routine 'air-gapping' later-where a Navi and their pet was completely disconnected from any outside devices and subjected to routine anti-virus and navicust-fixes.

And for some reason his system now read SnowMan as being IceMan! He was sure his friend would not enjoy such mis-identification...also, he actually knew an IceMan, and they were very different Navis. And while he had not actually met AirKnight, he was pretty sure they'd be mortal opponents.

Hopefully no one had noticed anyway.

Kauko smiled as he snagged the code and began to transfer it to a new blank battlechip-this one didn't look like any Modern chip, however. For downloading relic data, he always used blank chips made of Antikytheran CloudGlass, kin to what the servers were made out of. While it wasn't much of a technical improvement, he had found it made the old tech somewhat more stable-in WindKnights words, 'They held a spiritual affinity'. They also broke a lot less easier and suffered less from corrosion.

Best of all, chip vendors loved the aesthetic touch, as they could sell it easily right off the shelf without any modifications-ancient data stored in an ancient chip. It made it seem more plausible, so they'd pay more.

Of course, blank Cloudglass chips were literally so common you couldn't dig a hole in the island without finding a few, and they were pretty common in market stalls all around whenever a new place was dug up or someone had a garage sale. He picked them up in bulk whenever he could get a cache from the markets-on idle nights he liked to see how 'blank' they really were-some of them had useful data fragments...

Of course, none of his were fakes.

[DOWNLOAD IN PROGRESS!]

"...Alright, that's more like it...got a Sonic Wave here...standard wave attack chip, does damage to targets in a line, then bursts everyone in close-including yourself and your allies, so you've got to be careful. It'll be worth a good amount of Zenny if we sell it. But we can put it to good use too. WindKnight could use the damage at range, but it's not exactly his specialty to be tied to the ground..."

"I couldn't tell you, Snowman. This place looked undisturbed for years. There's dust everywhere."

Kauko was busy with his coding, but he wasn't completely tuned out to the world. He looked over Lumis shoulder and spoke.

"...The crazy old Prog could be talking about something that happened thousands of years ago. Try to get some more solid information we can use. It'll be an unfortunate-though, hardly unforeseen-outcome to not be the first tomb robbers here...

Also, remember-SnowMans not a videogame character, he doesn't need you looking over his shoulder all the time. If you spotted the same thing I did on the way in here, you'd realize you have a job to do out here. Maybe something that can help him...

Just watch out for the fuzzy spiders!"
He said, diving back into the datastream.

A lot of rookie Netbattlers spent all the time watching their Navi on the PET rather than looking for ways to help from their end.

>Battle complete. We've taken no damage. Investigating the rest of the area now.

...And despite his words, he finally turned his fleeting attention to Score.

"...Busting Tier S, that's excellent work, Score...make sure the whole area is secure if we have to start refreshing our caches. Er, 'Jacking Out', as they say...at least someone can use this new chip."

So many distractions!

Action: Kauko and WindKnight go to snag the last deleted mettaur virus data.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 12:40:33 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2021, 11:11:16 pm »

"I'll let you search for information, SnowMan-san." She gave a slight bob of her head before letting the other Navi have his space. The relationship between the two was. . . odd. Score had been intended to replace him, after all, and she doubted he appreciated that, but they weren't unfriendly, either.
>Understood, Lehtonen-sama.

It was something to concern herself with when she was running maintenance later. Now, there was an area to secure, and potentially more viruses to bust. While the others interrogated the Prog and processed the data, Score searched the area for any hidden threats.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2021, 04:23:15 pm »

Action: Kauko and WindKnight go to snag the last deleted mettaur virus data.

Easy Coding: [1] [1] [2] [3] - Failure

The good news is that Kauko manages to decode the last bit of deleted data. The bad news is that it came with a little surprise. As it's uploaded onto a blank battlechip, a hidden program is activated. With a great blaring of trumpets a simple light flies out of the data and hovers around WindKnight's head. While it seems harmless it continues to let out a bronze blazon, alerting everything else in the server exactly where he is.

Gained Antikytheran GuardShield Battlechip!

Score searched the area for any hidden threats.

Easy Sense: [1] [6] [6] - Success

The open annex offered very few places for threats to hide. There were still a few piles of incorrectly deleted data to search through however and so it was wise to check them in case other viruses were lurking. Her search thankfully turned up no other threats but not all of the data was completely fragmented. At the bottom of one of the piles was a mostly intact HeavenTrack NaviCust program. As its name suggests it keeps track of the stars, planets and moon to determine the most auspicious times for sacrifices, plantings and similarly important activities.

Of course HeavenTrack is pretty useless for virus busting and tomb robbing, but Thomas should be able to sell it for 1000 zenny.

The Prog looks at WindKnight with concern but otherwise waits to see if anyone else has other questions for it.

The memorial still needs investigating, but whatever viruses are lurking in it are no doubt alerted by the blaring light above WindKnight's head. Best to enter it in force.

In the real world, the tomb still hasn't been thoroughly investigated by Kauko and Lumi. The electronic lock is blinking now that the server has power, though it is probably still secured.

Spoiler: NetOp Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Navi Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 04:58:43 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2021, 09:58:23 am »

>Lehtonen-sama, I found a program.
Sent HeavenTrack.bat.
>The area is clear otherwise.
>I will investigate the main chamber now unless you have other orders.

Score started forward, weapon held loosely to one side. "I'll take point." She moved toward the memorial, hoping to find the viruses before the viruses inevitably found them.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2021, 10:23:21 am »

Kauko was busy with his coding, but he wasn't completely tuned out to the world. He looked over Lumis shoulder and spoke.

"...The crazy old Prog could be talking about something that happened thousands of years ago. Try to get some more solid information we can use. It'll be an unfortunate-though, hardly unforeseen-outcome to not be the first tomb robbers here...

Also, remember-SnowMans not a videogame character, he doesn't need you looking over his shoulder all the time. If you spotted the same thing I did on the way in here, you'd realize you have a job to do out here. Maybe something that can help him...

Just watch out for the fuzzy spiders!"
He said, diving back into the datastream.
"I didn't see anything, so if you want me to do something you'll have to point out whatever it is." Lumi looked at the blinking light of the lock. "I don't think we'll be able to open that until our NAVIs find a way to unlock it."

"I'll let you search for information, SnowMan-san." She gave a slight bob of her head before letting the other Navi have his space. The relationship between the two was. . . odd. Score had been intended to replace him, after all, and she doubted he appreciated that, but they weren't unfriendly, either.
"I think this trail's just about gone cold, Score. We won't find out much here." Snowman, for his part, wasn't bothered by Score; it wasn't her fault Kauko had had designs for her. He knew what Lumi's older brother was like, but he trusted her. They were as inseparable as two sides of the same coin. If anything, the NAVI he felt sorry for was WindKnight. Who knew how long it would be before the old guy was deemed "of no further use" and replaced? Snowman turned back to the Prog. "Can you tell me anything else about the other party? Anything they asked or did, what they looked like, maybe some names they might have called each other?"

After getting this question asked, Snowman moved to Score's side. "I've got your six. Let's go."

Snowman talks to the Prog a little more and then moves to give back-up to Score.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2021, 11:09:24 am »

Spoiler: Disaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Discussion with Score (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Discussion with Lumi (click to show/hide)

"WindKnight, sorry to keep you waiting...you need to load up, so get ready to jack out-but first, let's...oh, right. Get that. It should be much easier to open-just grab and go!"

WindKnight nodded, his eyes flashing gold and green. He quite enjoyed the heroic fanfare, despite the danger it presaged. It was most befitting a Knight of his stature!

The Vanguard of the King should be well armed, after all, to lead the charge!

He approached the cracked data-which took a form to him like an old fashioned treasure chest-in this case, he needed no help to access the information inside. A small spectral key ring appeared in his hands...

Action: WindKnight grabs the cracked mystery data and jacks out for retooling.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 11:38:03 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2021, 11:35:42 am »

He saw SnowMan was clearly staying in, and Lumi tended to follow his lead. Which wasn't always a bad thing.

He called up to Damian after speaking to Lumi

"Hey, are you good up there?"

Damian had been so quiet, Kauko wondered if he had gotten bored and walked off, leaving his PET and Navi unattended.
"Huh?"

Before he got called, Damian had been in thought, fiddling around with his PET to keep ShroomMan.EXE busy. Normally he wouldn't bother with that, but letting his Navi do his own thing usually ends up with the entire room being covered in mushrooms, some of them jumping around or singing or playing music with improvised tools, and he was at least that much aware that this is a bit of a covert mission in this ancient network.

"Yeah, sure. All that brain stuff is your field, so it's just pretty boring for me here. Just waiting for when I inevitably have to outrun some dart traps or shoulderbash a loose boulder. Y'know, typical Quarterback stuff, heh. Looks like you're done for now though? Or you need Shroom here to use that wind current to apply some color around here?"
"Oh, that would be wonderful. Little friends are always friendly to have. Who wouldn't want that?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2021, 11:49:07 am »

Kauko called back.

"Unless there's some sort of hidden chamber down here, you might be out of luck. Everything seems to be pretty straightforward-one room, one locked casket, a bunch of alcoves. Though we'll call you if we find something.

I just needed to know if you needed ShroomMan to jack out and wanted to share some of these chips we have.

And if you're talking about those weird mushroom programs, by all means, go ahead. I was hoping the air trick would help with that.

As for muscle stuff you can do, how about you dig around out there a bit? These landslides uncover lots of stuff-sometimes stuff rattles down from above, and gets mixed with stuff it uncovers. Part of why it's so confusing to find. Check the loose rock around for any shards of CloudGlass. Those might be BattleChips or NCP programs! And you could slot them right in if they're undamaged. Would help if you really did bring a shovel or something..."

Kauko was sure shovels were useful in the tomb robbing business, but as he didn't dare use one, he hadn't thought to bring it. That was muscle people business!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2021, 11:52:19 am »

>I am currently operating normally. Your last patch seems to have fixed most of the relevant bugs in my system.
>At minimum, none of my limbs have been frozen at odd angles yet.
>I do not believe I am in need of rest at the moment.

With SnowMan at her back, Score proceeded forward, keeping alert for incoming threats.
GM of Trespassers V2.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2021, 08:07:42 pm »

"Can you tell me anything else about the other party? Anything they asked or did, what they looked like, maybe some names they might have called each other?"

"There was four of them! A woman daimon with a bident, a male daimon in full panoply, a woman holding an amphora and a man with a horsehead. They called him HouseHolder and he was the only one to talk to me. He said that they were friends of Xanthippus the Elder and were preparing something for his relatives, so I had to stand in a corner and cover my eyes and ears to avoid ruining the surprise. So I didn't catch any of the other's names."

The Prog helpfully adds, "They all had faces like yours. That was what made them so unusually good looking. Except for the daimon with the horsehead. Instead he had an unusually good looking horse face!"

Action: WindKnight grabs the cracked mystery data and jacks out for retooling.

With nobody around except his teammates and a helpful Prog, WindKnight has no problems with taking the data and jacking out. Hopefully retooling doesn't take very long, as Score and Snowman move into the memorial proper.

Snowman talks to the Prog a little more and then moves to give back-up to Score.

With SnowMan at her back, Score proceeded forward, keeping alert for incoming threats.

Despite the blind corners, the two Navis enter the memorial without any problems. Despite the walls surrounding it, a cool wind still blows through the interior thanks to Kauko's intervention. At the far end of the memorial is a long panel that undoubtedly contains information about the people interred in the tomb. The left and right sides of the memorial have alcoves at regular intervals. Most are empty, a few are covered in rubble, and only two are properly filled. The statues of Semele are gigantic, easily twice the size of a Navi, and are quite impressive despite their low number of polygons. Somewhat unusually, the statues of the leonine goddess stand with their feet apart and their clubs raised up in the air.

The floor of the memorial is covered in fragments of data, obscuring the intricate pixel designs. The reason why is obvious as a Trumpy virus lets out a loud blare as it spots the navis. Its companion, a Needler virus with a shell textured like a tortoise, is attached to the chest of the rightmost statue and quickly turns its cannons towards Score. The Trumpy virus meanwhile dives to the leftside of the room, behind legs of the other statue.

Spotlight:
Damian Lowell/ShroomMan.EXE
Kauko Lehtonen/WindKnight.EXE
Lumi Lehtonen/Snowman.EXE
-/Score.EXE

Threats:
Needler 4/4: Attached to right Semele statue.
Trumpy 3/3: Hiding behind left Semele statue.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:09:23 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2021, 02:59:51 pm »

>Viruses detected. Engaging now.

Score wasted no time, darting to the left in the hopes of evading any incoming fire. The tip of her blade left a glowing trail in the air as she maneuvered, cutting a jagged line through the room before she made a hard turn, attempting to get a clear line of fire between her and the Trumpy before opening fire. The end of her oversized sword split, and each half of the blade retracted back and upward to reveal a cannon in the center, which immediately began to pepper the area around her target with streaks of light.
GM of Trespassers V2.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2021, 03:06:00 pm »

"...there's an intact urn a bit high up..."
"Ah, good catch. I'm on it." Lumi started climbing the alcoves towards the urn.

Snowman responded by raising his rifle and taking cover in a nearby alcove that would shield him from the Trumpy but still give him line of sight on the Needler. Taking aim carefully, he fired a few rounds at the virus, trying to provide cover fire for Score.

Lumi: Go get that urn! Carefully.
Snowman.exe: Take cover and fire at the Needler virus!
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2021, 07:09:48 pm »

Quote from: USEC_OFFICER
Completely forgetting about extra mystery data.

Normal Coding: [1] [3] [4] [5] - Mixed Success

Unfortunately the remaining piece of data is too damaged to be recovered. However its header and footer is intact and so it could probably be sold for 500 zenny. Even if it's useless, it is indisputably a piece of ancient Achaea.

Score wasted no time, darting to the left in the hopes of evading any incoming fire. The tip of her blade left a glowing trail in the air as she maneuvered, cutting a jagged line through the room before she made a hard turn, attempting to get a clear line of fire between her and the Trumpy before opening fire. The end of her oversized sword split, and each half of the blade retracted back and upward to reveal a cannon in the center, which immediately began to pepper the area around her target with streaks of light.

Hard Sense vs Normal Speed: [2] [3] [3] vs [5] - Failure

Unfortunately a clear line of fire on the Trumpy is impossible to get as it hides behind the legs of the statue. Or at least what seemed like a statue. As Score's shots impact against it, the statue's eyes glow red and it steps forward, bringing its club down with a blow heavy enough to shake the server. What seemed like a statue of Semele was in fact a cleverly disguised Cragger virus! It moves towards Score, swinging its club from side to side as the Trumpy lets out a loud blare, making it difficult for her to focus on the approaching threat.

Snowman.exe: Take cover and fire at the Needler virus!

Normal Sense vs Normal Speed: [1] [4] [4] vs [2] [2] [3] [3] - Neutral

The statue that the Needler is attached to also begins to move, stepping towards Snowman as he levels his rifle at it. Unfortunately that causes his shots to go wide and the virus scuttles onto the shoulder of its comrade as he readjusts his aim, causing further blasts to go wide.

The left Cragger continues to advance towards Score, threatening to smack her with its club or stomp her underfoot. The right Cragger keeps its club held up high and lets out a roar as it advances towards Snowman. The Needler riding on its shoulder likewise aims at Snowman and prepares to live up to its name with a barrage of shots.

Lumi: Go get that urn! Carefully.

Normal Speed: 1 [5] [5] - Success!

The alcoves aren't particularly wide or tall and so they act like a ladder for Lumi to climb. Taking the urn down is more difficult with one arm needed to hold it securely but Lumi takes her time and makes it down without any problems as well.

The urn is somberly decorated with some simple designs and dark horses, presumably because they contain the ashes of Xanthippus the Elder. The lid of the urn still has most of its wax seal intact, to help protect its contents from the elements. Breaking the seal would drop the value of the urn significantly, but the ancient Achaean were often entombed with their PETs and favourite battlechips and so it likely contained more artifacts inside. The question was whether they would be valuable or useful enough to be worth it.

Spotlight:
-/Score.EXE

Threats:
Cragger A 5/5: Advancing on Score.EXE.
Cragger B 5/5: Preparing to smash Snowman.EXE
Needler 4/4: Aiming at Snowman.EXE
Trumpy 3/3: Tooting behind Cragger A.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 08:34:03 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2021, 08:57:38 pm »

Kauko puzzled over the data.

"...Ugh, so much corruption,
guess I can't expect things to be any cleaner on the inside then they are on the outside ..."

Kauko put the half completed data aside and quickly rejiggered WindKnights armaments. He could tell by the navis aggressive pacing in the walls of his tiny hut he was impatient. 

He had no time to even signal he was done before WindKnight jacked himself in. Without operator orders.

Kauko didn't like when that happened. His screen began flashing multiple worrying looking alert boxes, but he dismissed them. And straightened his glasses.

What was coming up was something he'd done plenty of times with his last Navi, but never with WindKnight...Netbattlers called it the Speedball Special. It relied less on brain, and more on heart-no normal human couldn handle processing the data at that speed, unless...you could sync...

The low poly Tornado spun a lot faster this time-motivated by the fight which was being spun to him from afar, WindKnight accelerated his data transfer to unsafe levels, intending to rocket out!

Action: WindKnight and Kauko attempt the speedball special to jack into the fight extremely quickly-Kauko uses affinity check to transfer WindKnight into the server very fast, and WindKnight uses JumpJets to rocket across the room and into battle beside SnowMan! If he gets there in time, use my guardshield chip to block any damage!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:33:30 pm by Dwarmin »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2021, 02:56:02 pm »

Action: WindKnight and Kauko attempt the speedball special to jack into the fight extremely quickly-Kauko uses affinity check to transfer WindKnight into the server very fast, and WindKnight uses JumpJets to rocket across the room and into battle beside SnowMan! If he gets there in time, use my guardshield chip to block any damage!

Normal Affinity: [4] [5] - Mixed Success

Hard Speed: [2] [2] [6] [6] - Success!

The connection between WindKnight and his NetOp might not be the strongest, but the Navi is ready to protect his friends. Supported by the winds blowing through the server, he almost flies through the air as he rushes into the server and by Snowman's side right as the Cragger brings its club down. In the nick of time, Kauko slots in the GuardShield chip and a protective barrier springs up in front of WindKnight.

Normal Strength vs Normal Stamina: [2] [2] [5] [5] [6] vs [1] [4] [6] - 2 0 Damage

The virus's club bounces off of the barrier, causing the statuesque virus to stumble backwards. The force of the blow makes WindKnight step backwards as well, but that is a far gentler fate than getting plastered by the massive stone club.

Jacking out doesn't seem to have disabled the sprite afflicting WindKnight. The Needler virus immediately pivots to aim at the Navi and the Trumpy virus bursts out into song, ready to support its ally. He might have saved Snowman from attack but WindKnight now seems to be the central focus of the viruses.

Spotlight:
-/Score.EXE

Threats:
Cragger A 5/5: Advancing on Score.EXE.
Cragger B 5/5: Repositioning.
Needler 4/4: Aiming at WindKnight.EXE
Trumpy 3/3: Beginning a Sforzando for Needler.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13