Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Bay12 NetBattlers: The S-Files  (Read 16441 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 NetBattlers: An Unlikely Tomb
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 12:14:18 pm »

Kauko had landed in a pile with Lumi.

"...Ow! Try practicing your 'park-or' at home before using me as a safety net!"

WindKnight swirled into combat, visor glinting red as they scanned his foes.

"...Mettaurs! Such common enemies...a brisk warm up, I suppose. Concentrating on destroying the one closest to Score, everyone!

I shall incapacitate the other. They must strike the ground with their picks to unleash their quaking attack. If they cannot stand, they cannot attack.

Kauko, this place is without wind. I am something of a disadvantage, though I possess an AirShot cantrip to augment myself...can you lend assistance from your world?"

WindKnights turbines/pauldrons began to build up energy, kicking up dust in the tomb....

Kauko wasn't idle-after jacking in both Score and WindKnight, he had gone to work looking over the cube.

"...WindKnight says there's not a lot of fresh air in there. How about we introduce an Electro-Metaphorical Data Anomaly to help-I explained it you Lumi, didn't I? Conditions outside the server affect the NetWorld on a tangible level for Navis...a coffee machine will have warm water, the inside of a refrigerator will be frozen, an oven heats up when in use and so on and so forth...if I can find a vent leading out of the cube, it should restore proper function once it is cleared, now that it's powered...just have to clear it out...gotta use the old lung power, I guess..."

Kauko proceeded to scan the corners of the server cube with his flashlight-a few of the designs had small round ventilation grills, difficult to see, that helped filter out particulate matter and waste heat. They didn't use physical fans from what he knew, as the cubes relied on having no moving parts that could break or wear away, but some sort of magnetic vacuum system (or something). All most people knew was that even Navis liked fresh breeze, and thus the cubes could (but not always were) ventilated. A more pressing question was how he'd clear out the vent. He could only hope it could be loosened with a few strong breaths...

Kauko Action: Spend 1 BP to activate Destiny Spark! Kauko finds a small ventilation hatch in the cube-if he can clear it out he can hopefully restore some airflow to the NetWorld and help WindKnight!

Windknight Action: Windknight uses his affinity (with the help of airshot if needed) to summon a wind burst underneath Mettaur C to toss them in the air, and interrupt their ability to strike the ground-thus cancelling or impeding their attack.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:36:52 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2021, 08:34:24 pm »

"Oh, you're fine, Kauko. Don't be a wimp in front of Titania at least." Lumi brushed herself off and helped Kauko up so he could go fool with the cube a bit. Meanwhile, she attached her PET to one of the adapters. "Snowman! Get in there!"

"...AirKnight says there's not a lot of fresh air in there. How about we introduce an Electro-Metaphorical Data Anomaly to help-I explained it you Lumi, didn't I? Conditions outside the server affect the NetWorld on a tangible level for Navis...a coffee machine will have warm water, the inside of a refrigerator will be frozen, an oven heats up when in use and so on and so forth...if I can find a vent leading out of the cube, it should restore proper function once it is cleared, now that it's powered...just have to clear it out...gotta use the old lung power, I guess..."

"I got that covered," Lumi said, pulling out a little hand-held battery-operated fan from her hoodie pocket and handing it over. "Here you go."

Inside the netscape, a heavy snowfall started over a small patch of ground. Each snowflake that hit the ground formed more and more of a humanoid form, until Snowman stepped out of the small cocoon, already raising his rifle to his shoulder. "Going in hot, huh? Let me cool things down a bit," the NAVi said with a quiet chuckle. "Get a little bit of the heat off of Score." He scoped down at a Mettaur and pulled the trigger, aiming to distract it with a burst of cold mist.

Lumi: Spend 1 BP to activate Destiny Spark! Lumi just happens to have thought ahead for once and brought a small fan to help Kauko!
Snowman: Shoot Mettaur B with a Bubbler, impairing its' attack!
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2021, 10:37:27 pm »

Kauko Action: Spend 1 BP to activate Destiny Spark! Kauko finds a small ventilation hatch in the cube-if he can clear it out he can hopefully restore some airflow to the NetWorld and help AirKnight!

Lumi: Spend 1 BP to activate Destiny Spark! Lumi just happens to have thought ahead for once and brought a small fan to help Kauko!

Given that it's been centuries since anyone cleaned the place it should be no surprise that the vents are clogged up and aren't as efficient as they could be. Unfortunately, Kauko's breaths aren't enough to dislodge the dust and dirt that had collected in them. Thankfully Lumi's fan was powerful enough to remove it in a grey puff, allowing cool air to flow through the server once more.

Airknight Action: Airknight uses his affinity (with the help of airshot if needed) to summon a wind burst underneath Mettaur C to toss them in the air, and interrupt their ability to strike the ground-thus cancelling or impeding their attack.

Immediately a cool wind blows through the network and the server chugs less from trying to process so many modern Navis at once. The breeze tugs at Score's faulds but it isn't stiff enough to hamper the navis or the viruses.

It is, however, strong enough to make Airknight's turbines spin even faster than before.

Easy Affinity vs Normal Speed: [4] [5] [5] vs [1] [3] - Success

With his turbines spinning strongly, Airknight creates a burst of wind underneath the mettaur before it can react. It is lifted clear off of its feet and spins uncontrollably through the air before smacking against the wall with a dull clank. It lands straight on its head and begins kicking its legs, trying to right itself. A modern mettaur could just roll back onto its feet, but its polygonal helmet lies flush against the ground. It'll need a bit of momentum to right itself.

Snowman: Shoot Mettaur B with a Bubbler, impairing its' attack!

2 Damage vs Normal Speed: [1] [2] - Success

Snowman's bubbler does more than just impair the mettaur. It straight up deletes it in a burst of sprites and bubbles, completely preventing it from attacking. As with its companion, it leaves behind a bouncing cube of mystery data, ripe for decoding. The other cube of mystery data hovers in the air nearby, just as exposed and ready for deciphering as its new companion.

Spotlight:
Damian Lowell/ShroomMan.EXE
Kauko Lehtonen/WindKnight.EXE
Lumi Lehtonen/Snowman.EXE
-/Score.EXE

Threats:
Mettaur A: Deleted.
Mettaur B: Deleted.
Mettaur C 2/2: Trying to right itself.

Spoiler: NetOp Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Navi Status (click to show/hide)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2021, 11:36:14 pm »

"One more." Score wasted no time, darting toward the mettaur at top speed. Her oversized blade swept ahead of her in a wide arc, from low to high, leaving a glowing trail from its tip as it sailed toward the unfortunate virus. She still wasn't quite used to fighting as part of a group like this, but she had to admit, it was nice to have her back covered.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2021, 01:01:57 pm »

"One more." Score wasted no time, darting toward the mettaur at top speed. Her oversized blade swept ahead of her in a wide arc, from low to high, leaving a glowing trail from its tip as it sailed toward the unfortunate virus. She still wasn't quite used to fighting as part of a group like this, but she had to admit, it was nice to have her back covered.

Normal Strength vs Hard Stamina: [4] [4] [4] [6] vs [1] [4] - 1 damage

The mettaur is exposed and vulnerable and Score wastes no time in exploiting it. Her oversized blade sends it spinning through the air but somehow it manages to avoid deletion. After it lands the virus stumbles onto its feet, disoriented but upright. It shouldn't take much more to delete it.

Spotlight:
Damian Lowell/ShroomMan.EXE
Kauko Lehtonen/WindKnight.EXE
Lumi Lehtonen/Snowman.EXE
-/Score.EXE

Threats:
Mettaur A: Deleted.
Mettaur B: Deleted.
Mettaur C 2/2: Staggering about.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 01:11:43 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2021, 01:04:54 pm »

Snowman scoped down at it as soon as it was away from Score and patiently waited for it to stop spinning. "Thanks for the set-up. Now I'll put it on ice."

Snowman: Follow up with a basic bullet on the injured Mettaur C!
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2021, 02:36:35 pm »

"Excellent shooting as usual Snowman! No mercy for the poor things today, I guess..."

WindKnight heard a chime.

"WindKnight, get me to that data while it's fresh! Don't let it defragment!" Kauko said, all but jumping up and down.

He waited impatiently for his PET to display viral code for him to decipher.

"...Yes, yes, Kauko I will begin to decant the fallen foe. Calm down, tis merely Mettaurs!"

WindKnight sighed from his turbines and drew his short blade-he made a circle in the air with wind that seemed to stay in place, and wrote some strange runic symbols in a square within that. They seemed to shimmer and solidify in the air before him...

[M A N U]
[A L I N]
[P U T R]
[U N N A]
[V C U S]
[T E X E]

He had no idea what these strange magic words meant, but he knew the general intent...it allowed the wizard Kauko to steal their essence, rather than relying on poor Navi to do it. WindKnight supposed it was less work for him, anyway! The few times he had tried to harvest virus code had not gone well...

A few moments later, a golden gauntlet (intangible and harmless, except to a viruses code, and only summoned as long as he long as he held concentration) emerged from the portal and fixed upon the mystery data of the fallen Virus, fingers wiggling with eagerness.

Action: WindKnight merely begins to process the most recently deleted Mettaur data via ManualInput (Value of 4). He'll proceed to harvest the rest of it if the battle concludes.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:35:24 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 12:37:52 pm »

"Humm, you're all so swift and fast, as per usual. A Navi gotta enjoy things in life, too."
With his very own pace and wobbly walk cycle, ShroomMan started moving.
"The wind gives me an idea, though..."

ShroomMan.EXE Action: If Mettaur remains an active combatant, move closer and punch it. If not, or on successful deletion of the Mettaur, attempt to capture virus data.
---
Meanwhile, in the real world, Damian operated his PET dutifully, keeping an eye on the overall situation. Which currently didn't need much input from his side. "Yup, you definitely got that covered."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 11:04:47 pm »

ShroomMan.EXE Action: If Mettaur remains an active combatant, move closer and punch it. If not, or on successful deletion of the Mettaur, attempt to capture virus data.

Normal Strength vs Normal Speed: [2] [2] [4] vs [2] [3] - Tie

Mettaurs are not a speedy viruses but ShroomMan is not a speedy navi. The Antikytheran virus backpedals as ShroomMan winds up, barely avoiding the punch.

Spotlight Refreshed!

Snowman: Follow up with a basic bullet on the injured Mettaur C!

Normal Sense vs Normal Speed: [2] [4] [6] vs [3] [4] - 1 Damage

Snowman ends up delivering the final blow to the mettaur with a well-aimed blast of ice. It freezes in place for a moment, mattock raised and one foot in the air, before it falls over and shatters in a burst of sprites.

Action: AirKnight merely begins to process the most recently deleted Mettaur data via ManualInput (Value of 4). He'll proceed to harvest the rest of it if the battle concludes.

Easy Coding: [1] [1] [2] [4] - 1 Success

Unfortunately bit rot has affected the mystery data dropped by the mettaur. Even so, Kauko manages to defragment some snippets worth 500 zenny and a small scrap of text. Of course it is in ancient Achaean but the PET comes with a built-in translator for a reason.

[?] -Semele will protect the data. Password is [?]. Inadequate defenses but- [?] -for [?]'s return.

How helpful.

Two cubes of mettaur mystery data remain. Four piles remain undisturbed, with the ears of a Prog sticking out of one. They wiggle more franticly now that the battle is over.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2021, 11:14:04 pm »

"Let's see what this is." Leaving the data collection to the ones who were good at it, Snowman approached the pile with the prog in it.

Snowman digs the Prog out for further investigation.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2021, 11:34:46 pm »

>Battle complete. We've taken no damage. Investigating the rest of the area now.

Score glanced at the floating bits of data. Remembering earlier embarrassments in attempting to retrieve data from deleted viruses, she elected to exercise the better part of valor in this case. "I will assist in retrieving the program, if someone else would like to capture this." She nodded her head toward the spinning cubes of data as her visor and mask receded back into her helmet, before walking over to help Snowman dig out the prog.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:06:19 am by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2021, 05:46:36 am »

Kauko groaned. Achaean code was beautiful in it's own way, artistic aesthetic mixed with robust functionality. To see it so degraded..

"...Nothing but data garbage on the first one, but I've already got a buyer for the CodeFrags..also, found some reference to a guardian of sorts...I'll perform a follow up search in a moment..."

Two more bits of virus data remained and they had to be processed quickly-as well as the cracked mystery data ShroomMan had saved from the Mettaur, which would probably remain stable for now.

WindKnight, meanwhile, read the partially rotted data scroll now in his armored hands with interest as he went to incant the next fallen mettaur. He read it out loud for the benefit of his comrades.

"Semele will protect the data...defenses inadequate...references a password, but the text is illegible...but will prepare for the return of...illegible.

What a tempting text! It's as if the virus deleted all the important bits and left only the mysteries."

Action: Kauko and WindKnight go to snag the next most recently deleted mettaur mystery datas
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:35:52 am by Dwarmin »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2021, 10:41:17 am »

Action: Kauko and AirKnight go to snag the next most recently deleted mettaur mystery datas

Easy Coding: [2] [3] [5] [6] - Success

This second chunk of mystery data is far less degraded than the first one that Kauko checked. Unfortunately it doesn't contain any tempting logs for him to pour through but with a bit of a polish its data can be loaded into a blank battlechip.

Gained Antikytheran Sonic Wave Battlechip!

Snowman digs the Prog out for further investigation.

Help Snowman dig out the prog.

Together Snowman and Score dig out the Prog from the pile of smashed data it's buried under. It isn't a difficult task but the Prog is covered by a lot of ruined information and so even with two sets of hands it takes a while before it is freed.

The Prog is of a standard type and shape, though obviously far more polygonal than modern ones due to its great age. "Hello," it says with restrained cheerfulness, given the server it is on. "This is the memorial for Xanthippus the Elder and his descendants, but currently he is the only one resting here." It hovers in place for a moment before allowing itself one exclamation point. "I've never seen Daimons like you before. You look amazing! Are you with the group that visited earlier? They were also unusual and good looking."

Even ancient Progs are chatty.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2021, 11:04:09 am »

"Earlier group?" Snowman looked confused. "Lumi, some info?"

"I couldn't tell you, Snowman. This place looked undisturbed for years. There's dust everywhere."

The Navi turned back to the Prog. "How long ago was it you met with this previous group?"

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2021, 11:42:38 am »

"Three years, seven weeks, two days, sixteen hours, twenty-four minutes and nineteen seconds," the Prog helpfully offers. Of course once the server ran out of energy its clock would stop ticking and it would be unable to mark the passage of time. That incredibly specific number is certainly too short.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13