Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Quiet Year [Full, waitlist open]  (Read 3873 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: The Quiet Year [Full, waitlist open]
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 05:46:46 am »

Alright, I'll add a1s in as a player then. While we wait for them to register on Your World of Text I don't know how it'd work but for the people who have already sent me your username, try to find out where you can accept my invitation and see if you can edit this world after accepting the invitation:

https://www.yourworldoftext.com/~Objective/bay12quietyear
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2021, 06:15:12 am »

Invitation popped up on my "your worlds" page alright.
One wheel short of a wagon

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 10:54:04 am »

Everything works fine for me.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 04:30:32 am »

Round 0 - Pregame Discussions

For a long time, we were at war with The Jackals. Now, finally, we've driven them off, and we're left with this: a year of relative peace. One quiet year, with which to build our ocmmunity up and learn again how to work together. Come Winter, the Frost Shepherds will arrive and we might now survive the encounter. This is when the game will end. But we don't know about that yet. What we know is that right now, in this moment, there is an opportunity to build something.

This is our map. Before playing, we'll discuss and establish some features of our landscape. As we play this game, we will draw on the map in order to reflect our discoveries, and new conflicts and opportunities. Some parts of the map will be literal cartography, and other parts will be symbolic. We'll try to avoid writing words on it, though symbols are fine.

Throughout the game, everyone will be responsible for drawing on our map. It doesn't matter if you draw poorly or crudely, but all of us are going to draw.

Before we begin playing the game, we must establish some facts about our community and its surroundings. We'll have a brief discussion of the general terrain and habitat of the area. This can be as simple as someone saying "how about a community in the ruins of a mountainous city?" and everyone else voicing their ideas or assent. We haven't established the setting nor the time period, so your imagination's the limit.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 04:38:40 pm »

You said this was after the collapse of civilization. So maybe the setting can be the dark ages of Europe?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 04:52:57 pm »

That's quite a large period, a fair bit of which wasn't exactly like a post-collapse civilisation. I'd be happy with a historical setting in those times though, as long as people are willing to put up with my ignorance and didn't quibble too much about historical positions. Were you thinking something like post-Roman, pre-Anglo-Saxon britain?

One wheel short of a wagon

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2021, 05:06:26 pm »

I know little of post-Roman, pre-Anglo-Saxon Britain. So let's say our setting is based on that one, but isn't necessarily that exact one.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2021, 09:22:00 am »

I'll do my best to adhere to that time period aesthetics if people want to do it, though wiht me it'll probably devolve to some vague medieval Euro setting.

Anyways, what kind of specific environment do people think of? Just some fieldy, grasslands? That's kind of the type of region I think of when I think of the middle medieval age for some reasons.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2021, 12:59:51 pm »

Some fieldy grasslands in a typical medieval setting would suit me well as a starting point. But I think it would be nice to have a few big rocks around our settlement, a wooded section, and a small lake or a stream. And maybe we could begin in a hamlet destroyed by previous invaders, where only remain a few ruined stone houses?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2021, 02:42:53 pm »

For me the quintessential Dark Ages building is the hill fort- just a ditch and a stockade on a hill.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2021, 08:35:14 am »

Some fieldy grasslands in a typical medieval setting would suit me well as a starting point. But I think it would be nice to have a few big rocks around our settlement, a wooded section, and a small lake or a stream. And maybe we could begin in a hamlet destroyed by previous invaders, where only remain a few ruined stone houses?
I like this, are others in agreement?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2021, 08:41:06 am »

Sure.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2021, 09:41:51 am »

Im fine with that

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile