Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Quiet Year [Full, waitlist open]  (Read 3861 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: The Quiet Year [Full, waitlist open]
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2021, 06:35:34 pm »

New Logging Camp: 1 week left

Now it's Fluffe9911's turn. You get the King of Spring.
"A young boy starts digging in the ground, and discovers something unexpected. What is it?" or... "An old man confesses to past crimes and atrocities. What has he done?"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2021, 08:41:35 pm »

New Logging Camp: 1 week left

Now it's Fluffe9911's turn. You get the King of Spring.
"A young boy starts digging in the ground, and discovers something unexpected. What is it?"
What remains of what seems to be a set of ancient kitchen utensils long corroded and in various states of disrepair.

Discover Something New (Old?): Further light digging around the area reveals more things out of place beneath the ground bits of pottery and chiseled stone as well as some bone fragments... is there something buried long forgotten beneath this land?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2021, 09:02:34 pm »

Now it's chaotic skies' turn. The logging camp project finishes, so you decide how it goes, whether it all works out.

You draw the 5 of Spring.

'There is a disquieting legend about this place. What is it?" or...
"Alarming weather patterns destroy something. How and what?"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2021, 06:37:27 pm »

Oh boy, this game is going to take a while if we have to wait like this. NJW2000, can you do this turn with the card I have drawn for chaotic skies?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2021, 09:36:36 am »

The logging camp is completed. It is little more than a rough shed and a few piles of slender logs, but it's a store of wood for the village that the old folk can reach without venturing into the damp woods to the East.

There is a disquieting legend about this place. It is said that before the Empire came, this site was sacred to the worshippers of the old gods, seeing countless sacrifices and ceremonies. Barbaric rites were performed here, and huge feasts were sponsored by wealthy lords and chieftans. There are rumours of a return to the old ways among the peoples of this land, and even whispers of unspeakable sacrifices. The implications for the village are troubling.

The villagers start a project: reclaiming several fields that have fallen out of use. These are sown with a great quantity of oats, enough to produce a surplus for trade much later in the year. This agricultural work will take three weeks to complete.
One wheel short of a wagon

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2021, 10:25:43 am »

Even though how you resolved the card is mainly narrative and abstract, could you draw something to symbolize the legend?

Reclaiming the fields - 2 weeks left.

It's now Yellow Pixel's turn. You draw the 2 of Spring.

"There's a large body of water on the map. Where is it? What does it look like?"
or...
"There's a giant, man-made strucutre on the map. Where is it? Why is it abandoned?"

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2021, 10:48:59 am »

((Hold on - I made a logging camp but don't see it - is there a save button I'm not seeing?))

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2021, 06:39:06 pm »

The map should update itself automatically, I have no idea...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2021, 01:53:04 pm »

((Well, it seems to have worked this time. Map updated, something drawn for the legend a fair ways to the West.))

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2021, 03:15:58 pm »

To the west of our village lies a big lake of a shape that is supposed to resemble a whale, wich separates us from the ceremonial site of legends.

(The outline of the lake really didn't come out as I intended...)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2021, 09:23:22 am »

OK, I don't think chaotic skies is going to take their turn. Maybe I didn't make it clear how fast turns will go... This is definitely not a game for people who are so busy they can't check the forum periodically.

Reclaiming the fields - 1 week left.

I draw the Ace of Spring. "What group has the highest status in the community? What must people do to gain inclusion in this group?" or... "Are there distinct family units in the community? If so, what family structures are common?"

Going with "Are there distinct family units in the community? If so, what family structures are common?", I'd say that there are many families which are widows taking care of their children after their husbands went off to war or were otherwise slain by invaders. These widowed families band together and set themselves slightly apart from those where the men are still around. To represent this, I'll draw a widow at a graveyard.

I would like to Hold a Discussion. This might break the flow of the turns a bit since everyone gets to say something.

A man proclaims to his fellow villagers that there are hooded figures outside his house. He thinks that they are followers of the old ways and are plotting to capture him for sacrifice. He begs others to help him.

(So everyone gets to post once and then after everybody is done a1s can take their turn. Since chaotic skies seem to be MIA we can just skip them over for the discussion too, I guess.)

a1s draws an Eight of Spring. "An old piece of machinery is discovered, broken but perhaps repairable. What is it? What would it be useful for?" or... "An old piece of machinery is discovered, cursed and dangerous. How does the community destroy it?"

The project to reclaim the fields also completes on your turn, so please describe how it goes.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2021, 09:50:44 am »

A group of hooded villagers object that the old ways were peaceful with only plant or animal sacrifices. To think otherwise is to fall for Roman propaganda.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2021, 11:51:40 am »

Shady hooded figures lurking around outside peoples houses?!?! Must be cultists!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2021, 02:08:03 pm »

A large family offers to take the man in at night, provided he lends a hand with the household work.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2021, 05:32:02 pm »

I don't really see what to add to the discussion, so I prefer passing my turn.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5