Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Quiet Year [Full, waitlist open]  (Read 3859 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: The Quiet Year [Full, waitlist open]
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2021, 05:07:47 am »

Round 0.1 - Pregame Discussions

We've established then that our community is centered around a hamlet destroyed by previous invaders, where only remain a few ruined stone houses. There are fieldy grasslands in a medieval time period, with a few big rocks around our settlement, a wooded section, and a small lake or a stream.

I'll not draw anything for those yet and we can use this agreement as guidelines once we flesh out the map.

The next thing to do now before we truly begin the game is to go turn by turn and each name an important resources for the community, which we'll later collectively decide whether they're Abundant or Scarce. Something like Clean Water, Cattle, or something abstract like Hope or Faith. I'll also use the order each person post this for the turn order for the rest of the game too.

To be an example, I'll go first and say an important resources for us is Stones.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2021, 05:46:20 am »

Another important resource is Food.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2021, 06:20:19 am »

Clean Water is pretty important or just Water in general
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 02:54:18 pm by Fluffe9911 »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2021, 06:41:50 am »

Clean Water is pretty important or just Water in general
Well, the rules don't say if this phase should have discussion so you could go ahead and pick either one.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2021, 09:30:39 am »

A vital resource for us is Lumber. Stone is great, but it will not heat a house, nor cook food - and is slow to build with, though sturdy.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2021, 11:02:18 am »

Less tangible but perhaps equally crucial is pride - the settlement once thought itself part of a great empire, culturally and technologically superior to the barbarians of the North. Now the armies and officials of that empire have abandoned this land, leaving its peoples uncertain who they are.
One wheel short of a wagon

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2021, 12:45:45 pm »

Confidence will also remain vital to our struggling community.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2021, 08:12:52 pm »

Okay, great, now we collectively decide on which resource is Abundant, and the others will be Scarce.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2021, 07:29:31 am »

a wooded section, and a small lake or a stream.
That sounds like both wood and water are abundant. Though there could be a fire or a draught, I suppose.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2021, 09:15:27 am »

Or maybe water could be abundant and the wooded section could be sparse, so wood scarce?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2021, 02:07:51 pm »

I'd agree with abundant water and scarce everything else.
One wheel short of a wagon

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2021, 11:11:59 pm »

a wooded section, and a small lake or a stream.
That sounds like both wood and water are abundant. Though there could be a fire or a draught, I suppose.
You could be next to the woods and still not have time to harvest them all.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2021, 02:13:40 pm »

You could be next to the woods and still not have time to harvest them all.
That's just being busy/lazy, not a scarce resource.

But in order to move this along I will join the "water only" camp.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2021, 09:54:05 am »

Round 1

Abundance: Water
Scarcities: Stones, Food, Lumber, Pride, Confidence

Now we can begin the main game. We'll be going turn by turn, with me starting first as an example, and then going in order of a1s -> Fluffe9911 -> chaotic skies -> NJW2000 -> Yellow Pixel.

From now on, you cannot discuss the state of the game outside of your turn or during a Discussion (more on that later), except when assigning a Contempt token. Each turn takes place over a week. At the start of the turn, you are assigned a card which you have to make a decision and action on, and all Projects advance by 1 week. Projects that finish on your turn are your responsibility to decide how they turn out, and for you to draw them onto the map.

You have 3 actions you can take on your turn.

1) Start a Project: The community begins a project to achieve a specific goal (such as building a town hall, or training a militia, exterminating the wolves, or build a new logging camp). Your projects can be motivated by a scarcity, but you cannot directly remove a scarcity or create an abundance. A project takes between 1 to 6 weeks to finish, and bigger projects that may require more time will need to be multi-stage. Keep in mind that we're a small village and try to keep the timeframe reasonable.

2) Discover Something New: The community finds a new feature of the map or some events transpire. It might be a problem, an opportunity, or a bit of both. Essentially, you just say what happens in order to add a complication or some new turns of the plot in the narrative.

3) Hold a Discussion: You can start a Discussion, which is one of the few times that the players are able to communicate with each other in this game. If you start a Discussion with a question (such as "Should we kill the wolves?"), then you are able to make a concluding statement after everyone has said their piece. If you make a declaration ("We should kill the wolves!"), you are not able to make a concluding statement after everyone has spoken. You don't have to represent any specific person or group, or if you do, you don't have to stay as that person or group. (For example, I could represent Odo the Farmer voicing his disagreement over killing the wolves in one discussion, but in a later discussion I could be representing a group of housewives agreeing with the plan to build a new mill, and then in another discussion I could just state that I, as the player, think it'd be funny if we explored the obviously cursed castle.) Everyone (except the questioner) only gets one post per discussion.

The only action you're able to take outside of your turn is to Assign Contempt, where you declare "I would like to take a Contempt Token" which represents in-character dissent or disgruntlement by part of the community over the actions of another part of the community. The Contempt Tokens are purely symbolic and represent contentions in the community. You can discard a Contempt token when you act selfishly, to the detriment of the community, or when another player has done something you feel has diffused the tension in the community.

For my turn, I draw the Six of Spring.

"Are there children in your community? If there are, what is there role in the community?" Or... "How old are the eldest members of the community? What special needs do they have?"

I'll choose to address "Are there children in your community? If there are, what is there role in the community?" and say that yes, there are children in the community. Very young children are given free reigns in their youth, but those old enough to work are apprenticed to craftsmen or aid their mothers in the household. I'll represent this by drawing some houses and children helping a woman carry washclothes.

Then I'll Discover Something New. The Wise Woman had lost her apprentice recently, and has approached the village looking for a youth who could be a suitable candidate to learn her craft. I'll represent this with a person who is definitely not a heretical witch.

Now it's a1s' turn. You get the Ten of Spring, which is...

"There's another community somewhere on the map. Where are they? What sets them apart from you?" or... "What belief or practice helps to unify your community?"

Just go ahead and do your turn and draw stuffs, then I'll draw a card for the next person.

That is unless you choose to hold a discussion then everyone gets to talk.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2021, 06:01:36 pm »

"There's another community somewhere on the map. Where are they? What sets them apart from you?"
So there is this other community to the north of us, on the other side of the forest. They are avid hunters, whereas we are farmers. Sometimes we trade.

Since we are low on wood, the town decides to build a new logging camp. This is a rather small project, so I think it will take 2 weeks to complete.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5