Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: changing the Load Vehicle job  (Read 1404 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
changing the Load Vehicle job
« on: October 17, 2021, 10:20:50 am »

Minecart systems often are inefficient when used for moving items over a distance. You will see 5 dwarfs each walk 50 tiles to load 1 item into the cart instead of seeing 1 dwarf walk 50 tiles and loading the same 5 items.

The suggestion is that the Load Vehicle job target a list of items instead of one item, and that the dwarf assigned to the job will put all of those items into the vehicle. This would be similar to how the Store Item In Barrel/Bin jobs function, but maybe the dwarf would load one item at a time.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: changing the Load Vehicle job
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 04:17:25 pm »

It would be nice if this was a toggle in the route-screen or prefaced to the kind of object being moved (rocks always seperate load, crafts and gems moved en masse), sometimes the loading rocks option is* much simpler, and has the benefit of being able to be turned off with orders absolutely.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 05:16:04 pm »

Yeah it’s tricky, because I have seen the multi-hauling behavior cause problems, too. Specifically, dorfs dragging around a few dozen pieces of heavy armor to try to load it into a bin. Maybe we need a general fix for this: dorfs should multi-haul items only until their movement speed is, say, halved. Then maybe this behavior could be used for all hauling e.g. bringing reagents to workshops.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 06:43:37 pm »

Minecarts are currently used more for one-tile-track quantum stockpiling and as killing machines, and are used less to enhance hauling over a distance. The first thing that most players would try to use minecarts for is to improve hauling, and minecarts are horrible for this.

So, I was going for the idea that one dwarf would stay at the location of the worksite and load multiple items, because this would make minecarts more useful for hauling. It would not matter if they carried all of the items in one slow shuffle, or if the dwarf picked up one item at a time, or picked up a weight suitable for that specific dwarf; the value is in one dwarf staying at the site to load multiple items and the other dwarfs not making the long walk to help out.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.