Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Returning player - what changed since multi-tile trees?  (Read 2310 times)

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Returning player - what changed since multi-tile trees?
« on: October 14, 2021, 07:21:12 am »

I haven't played DF in a long while, but now the itch has returned! A small mention of it (someone said RimWorld is DF meets Firefly...) was enough.

But since it HAS been a while and I haven't followed the updates either I figured I'd ask: what relevant changes to fort mode were there since I last played? The last big new thing I actually encountered were the multi-tile trees (which are amazing, but led to even faster FPS deaths... ).

I vaguely read something about philosophers, books, and taverns? And there might've been something about small settlements? Sending out dwarves on missions?

If someone could give me a short overview of the important changes I should consider when striking the earth are, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want my fort to get started and then fail because... I forgot to set up a confession box so all my dwarves go insane with guilt, or something. Or get notified that sieges can now tunnel by a squad of trolls in my dining room.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Returning player - what changed since multi-tile trees?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 08:03:53 am »

Well that was like...almost ten years ago, right? Just start playing and have fun, or read some newer community forts for ideas of what's going on.

Notable differences -
Forts can now be retired, meaning you can come back to it at any time. This means you can retire, play an adventurer, visit your fort or kill off the king or just go around petting horses, then resume fortress play and see the effects, if they happen at all. Or retire, build a new fort, die, then return to the original fortress.

Psychology is pretty stable now, dwarves can take a reasonable amount of trauma - and only tend to go mad if you really push them. There are guilds, chapels, libraries, and other ways to relieve stress/learn skills in fortress mode to learn about.

No tunneling yet, but necromancers are a powerful enemy, bringing a host of undead and experiments with them.

From fortress mode you can send out raids on other sites, taking artifacts or claiming them as your empire. Small hamlets may also pop up around your fortress if your civilization and fortress are doing well.

Combat was also overhauled, but in fortress mode it should look familiar.

Aquifers have been dealt with. Heavy aquifers are still boss-tier obstacles, but now you can find light aquifers too, which are slow enough to dig through and wall up at your leisure.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:06:29 am by delphonso »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 01:10:24 pm »

if you aren't experienced with Werebeasts, I would heavily suggest building a wall before the first autumn, which is often when they first attack

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 01:58:45 pm »

if you aren't experienced with Werebeasts, I would heavily suggest building a wall before the first autumn, which is often when they first attack
Furthermore, a 2+ tile tall wall with an overhang would be advised, otherwise it's likely to get climbed or jumped over.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 03:43:42 pm »

I am not very informed about older versions, but I know that a lot of modding possibilities and new mods came about in the recent major updates.  There's spells and unique civilisations and amazing plants and even complete overhauls such as post-apocalyptic tech-noir.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 11:43:02 am »

By the end of spring, you should have a hatch, door, or gate to hide behind.

By the end of the first winter, you will want to have a tavern, a library, and a temple (they can all be simple and under furnished).

When the first caravan arrives, it is important to buy books/scrolls for your library, because your dwarfs will take years to start writing. Scrolls are unlabeled and you need to 'v'iew them to see if they are blank or not..

Remember to check the thoughts of dwarfs occasionally to see if there are mentions about "annoyed because by a lack of *something*", to notify you if the fort needs something.

You can Expel dwarfs from the fort now, which can works well if a dwarf has no on-site family members and is threatening the safety of other dwarfs.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 08:10:57 am »

Well, I got started so we'll see how it goes.

Werebeasts already existed when I last played, and unless I'm trying to challenge myself "get underground, get traps built, build drawbridges with a lever to hide away from sieges" is among the first things I do. Climbing was already in too, but thanks for the reminder about overhangs - when I build a wall to claim part of the outside later, I'll keep it in mind. That, and building paved roads outside my wall to keep trees from becoming ladders.

Extra thanks for the hint about tavern, library and temple - those were not a must have yet when I last played, so I would've foregone them if not mentioned.

And... My first migrant wave just arrived. Second dwarf to enter the map? A legendary bowyer, creator of , (no-name artifact bug, it seems), also a legendary thrower... and a necromancer. Guess this fort will be more interesting than I thought!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 08:35:35 pm »

I don't think anyone has mentioned light and variable flow aquifers yet?

Aquifers used to be a real challenge to get through, but now 99% of them are the lightest little drizzle, and don't flood your fort for years. If when choosing a map, you see "light aquifer" you will need very little planning ahead to get through it, even if it's 5z deep.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 03:06:50 am »

ah, that's good to know. I did an aquifier breach with the old type once (using pumps and quick constructed walls) - since I managed that (though it was a hassle), I guess I won't have to be afraid of light aquifiers much  :)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 03:49:36 pm »

My record with the old-type (heavy) aquifer was 13z. I thought they were fun, but a lot of players disagreed. I don't encounter all that many heavy aquifers any more.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 07:48:14 pm »

My record with the old-type (heavy) aquifer was 13z. I thought they were fun, but a lot of players disagreed. I don't encounter all that many heavy aquifers any more.

I usually used an aquifer plug - because the cancellation spam is just too much for me. It became an issue with 44.12's stress (which wasn't bad, but spending a week in the rain was). 47.00 really made it a lot easier on both those fronts.

Anyway, have fun Syndic - hope you enjoy it. A lot has changed, but the core is still the same - dwarfs are dorfy.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 01:19:30 am »

Aquifers aren’t any fun if they’re in a layer you want to mine stuff and/or collect stuff from…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 03:11:18 pm »

Aquifers aren’t any fun if they’re in a layer you want to mine stuff and/or collect stuff from…
In my current fortress, I'm playing the game "Can my dwarves haul away the lignite and platinum from this alluvial layer before the tunnels flood?"  My Carpenter is quickly making more wheelbarrows.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 10:01:10 pm »

Is there any major crash bug in 47.05? I'm going to download it and start playing DF again.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 10:18:17 pm »

Is there any major crash bug in 47.05? I'm going to download it and start playing DF again.

I haven't encountered any outside of adventure mode, but some players got the equipment-related crash that has been around for a bit. I think if you end up with that, DFHack can solve it.
Pages: [1] 2