Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What scares you the most in DF?  (Read 2673 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
What scares you the most in DF?
« on: October 09, 2021, 01:50:16 am »

What is the scariest situation, a phenomenon/bug in the game, creature, or anything else scares you the most?

Demons it is for me. These creatures only have one goal and it is to kill, kill, kill.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What scares you the most in DF?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 03:40:35 am »

Cave crocs and giant cave spiders. I'm a turtler, usually avoiding confrontation with all threats. But occasionally a croc or spider slips in. Things get immediately tense as I try to mitigate losses and make a quick mmilitary. Love the tension, but definitely gives me a scare when the combat log pops up and jobs start getting interrupted.

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 06:58:30 am »

When its winter and my wells depend on the river close-by to be filled.
Sometimes it feels like the season is just super long compared to the others.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 09:58:53 am »

That I'll hit a small aquifer I hadn't noticed after making elaborate blueprints for hours upon hours and will have to rethink my plans.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 02:21:17 pm »

Angels and night trolls. Some of their procedurally-generated descriptions are downright horrifying to visualize, and of course angels are forces of pure death and destruction that even a legendary adventurer has little hope of confronting and living to tell the tale.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 10:00:27 pm »

Used to be most night creatures with their tirelessly strength and agility making them deadlier than a giant but the scariest was boogymen, instead of generating worlds without them I generate them in many flavors. It's definitely better this way and opens up adventure mode for more people I would say. It was almost like the whole world was under scrutiny by a nightmare Deity and anyone with any doubts about themselves and their stoicism was squashed by nightmare fairy gremlins then after that it was a bother, a filler episode in the hunt for great beasts and glorious death. They are perfect episodes in their own now.
All bad dreams pass to unbridled realities as invisible undead generals of 100+ years of undeath are probably it.
Sure i can start a fire and throw things, i can sneak kill them if competent enough but if they have the right powers and are fast enough they are going to kill your begining and mid game adventurer. Eventually not being able to be reanimated and realizing that my soul has been sundered between Shozast and some multiple death gods from different Pantheons. Only my lost pieces of thought scattered on paper to be eventually claimed by ignorant necromancers only to destroy the world.
I hope rest will be granted to me. I fear my following will not survive my slumbers, and my knowledge lost to the gods and goddesses whom posses it, I know they don't fully understand my goals, they like me were dragged into this game for power.
What future will I awake to if anything at all.
Ps please don't whittle my bones into bolts or figurines.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 01:25:34 am »

Loyalty cascades.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 03:54:44 am »

Dwarves.

Seriously, the combat logs make them seem terrifying to say the least.  Imagine a (1) tiny gal armed with nothing but a rusty woodcutting axe, practically shaving the skin off a literal giant.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 04:03:16 am by Mobbstar »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 03:59:00 am »

Caravans.

The majority of save-breaking bugs I have experienced have involved caravans.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 04:19:32 am »

Dwarves.

Seriously, the combat logs make them seem terrifying to say the least.  Imagine a (1) tiny gal armed with nothing but a rusty woodcutting axe, practically shaving the skin off a literal giant.

Sometimes I ask myself why it's so popular to RP dwarves as disturbed little psychopaths, then I spend some time in-game reading the combat logs and I'm like "Oh...right".
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 12:45:08 pm »

Web-spitters, particularly demonic ones. You can be an unstoppable adamantine-clad (sometimes undead) murderhobo that's faced down both types of HFS multiple times, and they can still paralyse you with a near-unavoidable spray of webs then kick your head into mush without breaking stride (unless you have the IntUndead paralysis trick or suchlike).

Similarly, Night Trolls. You never know if that wandering asterisk is going to be free training, or a creature that can end your adventurer's burgeoning career with a single "latches on -> shakes about" combination due to how easily that severs nerves and inflicts heavy bleeding.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 07:06:04 pm »

I was upset back when I made the fort I renamed Alligator Creek. Annually we lost more limbs in that fort than we had caravans, all because of the alligators coming in by the flood each year. I was so upset seeing so many of my citizens had only two limbs each. But it created more stories than any dozen forts since, because it had such events happening. So... No, I'm not scared of alligators, crocs, or the occasional webby spider, despite turtling sometimes.

I do love the descriptions of some of the creatures, and would not like to meet those forgotten beasts ever in real life.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 08:26:35 pm »

When the game has to load a lot, like during a seasonal autosave, or when scrolling onto an inventory stocks line with way too much in it, and I get the windows loading circle while the screen grays out.  Particularly when a lot of designating was just done while paused.  Will it come back to life?  Will it crash?  Will it be stuck forever?  I never know.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 10:29:02 pm »

When the game has to load a lot, like during a seasonal autosave, or when scrolling onto an inventory stocks line with way too much in it, and I get the windows loading circle while the screen grays out.  Particularly when a lot of designating was just done while paused.  Will it come back to life?  Will it crash?  Will it be stuck forever?  I never know.
heheh that’s very true
do I have all of their building labours unselected except this one guy since he’s closest, and some dwarf across the map doesn’t choose it, so he’ll build the single wall left to block up before the demons come through
will he go for booze instead of saving himself and the entire fort?
who knows!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 12:06:15 am »

Either of two things:

The first is that my carefully laid plans will be thwarted by a cavern being somewhere I didn’t expect is.

The second is that I’ll miss an important combat announcement due to my having been conditioned to ignore combat announcements because of all of the spam that occurs when a pangolin rolls into a ball/unrolls.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: [1] 2