Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to mod world gen? What are the limitations?  (Read 1151 times)

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to mod world gen? What are the limitations?
« on: September 28, 2021, 01:46:38 pm »

Hey there folks! Is it possible to mod world gen? What are the limitations? Can I, for example, make the world always form as a desert wasteland? Can I make it always form as a world of flying islands and clouds instead of water?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to mod world gen? What are the limitations?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 03:40:23 pm »

The advanced world parameters are your best bet when it comes to making certain kinds of worlds more likely to generate, but if you want to craft a world precisely to your desires? Pretty sure you'll need a third-party tool like Perfect World for that (unfortunately I don't think it's supported for the current version of DF).

That said, I'm far from an authority on this topic so you're better off waiting for someone else's input.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 04:29:40 pm »

Can I make it always form as a world of flying islands and clouds instead of water?
Is it possible for it to ever form as a world of flying islands and clouds instead of water?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 04:39:25 pm »

Yeah, don't think even Perfect World can help you with that one sadly.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 05:14:44 pm »

Can I make it always form as a world of flying islands and clouds instead of water?
Is it possible for it to ever form as a world of flying islands and clouds instead of water?

That's definitely the better question lol I imagine it is a negative, but had to ask just in case

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 05:30:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure one of the aims of the myth & magic map rewrite is to make worldgen a lot more flexible, so hopefully following that things like floating continents suspended over a bottomless sky or gargantuan world turtles swimming through the infinite void won't seem quite so unusual.