Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 32434 times)

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #660 on: November 15, 2021, 04:15:19 pm »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 15, 2021, 04:48:13 pm »

This should be funny
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 15, 2021, 06:05:02 pm »

We animate Bear Bearson.

"I could animate Bear Bearson for you, Queen Thecla," you offer. "I've done it for Tal a few times with Noodles. The results can be unpredictable but entertaining."

"I'm interested," the queen says, and you describe how it works. Her eyes light up at the possibility. "Yes, that sounds delightful! I'll have a servant fetch my old friend at once."

A servant leaves to fetch the bear. While you're waiting, the queen enthusiastically tells you about the imaginary adventures she would go on with her favorite bear.

"Did you go on adventures with Noodles?" the queen asks Tal.

"He's not really an adventure-monkey," Tal says vaguely. "More like a monkey-monkey."

The servant returns shortly with a stuffed brown bear wearing a vest and a bowler hat. He's well worn but still cute.

The queen props up the bear while you raise a hand and murmur the words of animation. Lightning arcs from the ceiling to your raised hand, then arcs from your other hand to the bear.

The stuffed bear looks to the queen and bows.

"Oh!" the queen says, delightedly clapping. "What else can he do?"

"That's determined largely by your imagination," you explain.

The queen considers this, then turns to one of the guards near the door. "Royal Guard Tam, would you be willing to…spar with Bear Bearson?"

"I beg your pardon, Your Majesty?" the mustached guard says uncomfortably.

"Oh, you don't have to, but if you could, just lower your halberd and act fierce toward Bear Bearson for a moment."

Royal Guard Tam does so, lowering his long halberd as if he is set for a charge.

"Bear Bearson, a show of your skill?" the queen says to the stuffed bear.

Bear Bearson wall-jumps from the wall behind him, tumbles end over end in the air, and drops a kick onto Royal Guard Tam's forehead, which sends the guard sprawling to the ground. The falling halberd is caught by the bear, who uses it to vault, lifts the halberd again in midair, spins it, and sends the blade into the floor next to the guard's ear.

The bear comes to rest on the guard's chest, where he turns, doffs his hat, and bows to the queen.

"Oh my," the queen says. "Well. You are an adventure bear, aren't you? Dreadfully sorry, Royal Guard Tam."

"Not a problem, Your Majesty," says Royal Guard Tam, painfully picking himself up. "A lesson in vigilance." The bear jumps off the guard, making an unnecessary acrobatic flip in the air as he does so.

"Yeah, Noodles is a little sillier than that," Tal says. "But, um, neat bear."

Bear Bearson stands guard next to the other royal guards for the rest of the evening, and the queen casts appreciative looks his way until the spell wears off and he is once again a bodyguard bear only in a part of Queen Thecla's imagination. (Increased Thecla Relationship.)

As dessert is served—some kind of pudding that arrives on fire, to the queen's delight and Tal's dismay—the queen says, "Tal, I am so intrigued by you, and yet you've seemed so tense all dinner. Relax! I'm a person too. Just talk to me as you would anybody else."

Tal's grin is sour. "Easier said than done. You're the queen."

Thecla looks slightly sad at this reminder.

A liveried servant blows out the flame on the dessert. The queen waves him away.

"I suppose you wouldn't believe that it's sometimes not excellent to be the queen," Queen Thecla says.

"Oh boo hoo," Tal says. Then she claps her hands to her mouth. "Excuse me, Your Highness. I am very sorry."

Queen Thecla shakes her head. "It's so hard to elicit honesty. You have no idea. Please. Just say whatever's on your mind."

"Really?" Tal says. Neither she nor the queen has touched the pudding, so you follow suit.

"Really," says Queen Thecla. "I'm not going to clap you in irons just for being controversial."

Tal takes a deep breath. "I-think-you-should-get-rid-of-the-shapeshifter-laws."

The queen gives Tal a level look.

"My parents would say you are being foolish," the queen says, now starting in on the pudding. "'They were engineered to be assassins,' they said. 'You can't assume they're like humans.'"

"That is so…incorrect," Tal says, still not touching her pudding. "People think shapeshifters are more merciless than regular humans. But we're—" Tal freezes.

"Oh, come on," Queen Thecla says. She points her spoon at Tal. "I knew you were a shapeshifter from the moment you asked about it. Just say what you're going to say."

"We're often part human," Tal says. "My mother's human. And—I really don't think the old lore about us being more cruel is even true. Maybe it's just who we've had to be sometimes. Like anybody."

Queen Thecla seems struck by Tal's remark. She looks downcast. "Well. I'm sorry, but—I don't know what would happen if we struck the shapeshifter laws."

"A lot of people would be pretty happy about it!" Tal says forcefully. "Think about it: we can look like anything, and our babies with humans are always shapeshifters. Just how many of us do you think there are?"

The queen's eyes widen as she contemplates the implications. "I suppose they are my subjects…."

1.The shapeshifter laws should be repealed! Suggest the queen and Tal meet again to discuss these issues more.
2.Agree that the shapeshifter laws should be repealed, but don't suggest the queen and Tal spend any more time together.
3.Whisper to Tal that she's pushing her luck and should back down.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 15, 2021, 06:23:11 pm »

1 honestly seems fine

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 15, 2021, 06:35:54 pm »

Heck yeah, let shapeshifters exist!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 16, 2021, 12:13:44 am »

The law should be repealed, and the Queen and Tal should meet again.

"Your Highness, you really ought to consider repealing these laws," you say. "I'm sure you'd think so too, if only you knew Tal better. I assure you that you can trust Tal absolutely. Perhaps you should spend some time with her and learn more about the shapeshifters—they're your subjects too."

"Well, perhaps I should at that," Thecla says. "What do you say, Tal?"

"I've got to get back on the road," Tal says, shaking her head. "But I won't refuse a royal command. Can we do it tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow, then."

The next day, you see the queen and Tal walking together in the palace gardens, smiling and seeming to enjoy each other's company. Later that night, you see them chatting in the small dining room you used the previous night, and they're still there chatting when you're about ready for bed.

The next day, Tal is gone by the time you get up, and you're somewhat unsurprised when Thecla announces in the throne room that the old antishapeshifter laws have been repealed.

Based on Tal's warning, the queen tells you that it's time to start deploying the magics you have developed for the kingdom.

You and the queen begin to experimentally deploy your magically engineered beasts near the capital.

Crosses between dragons and elephants that you call "dragophants" aid with the construction of towers and walls by wrapping their trunks around huge pieces of stone and lifting them up high with their long necks. Their vestigial wings are too small to allow them to fly away, but they use the wings to swat away insects.

Beetle moles, horse-sized moles with black carapaces and huge hands, are deployed in mines and quarries. Their ability to spit acid and their ruggedness in the face of cave-ins and avalanches prove quite useful.

Dodecapedes once again transport goods on their long backs. At a gallop, the many-legged giant dogs can outrun a carriage pulled by good horses.

A small batch of baby dragons is aged at an accelerated rate while keeping the docile nature they normally grow out of. The first dragonriders in millennia are trained.

"I must say, this is working out better than I could have expected," the queen says as the two of you observe a dragophant hauling stone up to the crenellations of the city walls. From your vantage point on a palace tower balcony, you can also see a giant lizard lashing its tail against a building to be demolished—practice for assaulting enemy towers. (Gained Kingdom Power.)

"Sometimes, the magic of life can be controlled," you say.

The queen looks at you askance. "That was not the most reassuring thing you could have said just then."

"Sorry."

You finally decide that it's time to take a break from your magical research and treat yourself to spending some of your stipend. In preparation for your shopping trip, you also stop by your mine in the Crown Mountains. (Gained 200 Gold.)

Some shops are no longer very relevant to your new life in the capital, but some of the newer shops are quite interesting. Where would you like to spend your money? (You have 877 gold. This is your last chance to spend money before the climax chapter.)

1.The clothing store.
2.The bookstore.
3.The pet store.
4.The new magical-jewelry store.
5.The weapons-and-armor store.
6.I'm done shopping.

If you like, we can run through each shop and then let you come back to buy what you want from the compiled list.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 16, 2021, 12:26:09 am »

Yeah, getting a full list would be appreciated.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 16, 2021, 01:30:56 am »

Full list sounds good.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 16, 2021, 11:07:07 am »

Full list.

The clothing store.

What sort of outfit were you looking for? You can have any of these for 300 gold. (You have 877 gold.)
1.A dashing outfit that still allows freedom of movement for fighting.
2.The fanciest outfit I can buy, period.

The bookstore.

When you go to the bookstore, you find that there's been a large change in their stock. Their books for laypeople on magic, the Neighbors, and related subjects have sold out, as people try to understand the new world you're creating. However, advanced books on magic are no longer banned, and as a result, they've come across a few technical books that are indecipherable to the general public, but possibly perfect for you.

Would you like to purchase any of these books?

3.Dracus Monopati ("The Draconian Life Cycle"; 500 gold).
4.Gnomai et Antignomai ("Divination and Antidivination"; 500 gold).
5.Kafsi et Kleos Venenum ("Negation Burn and Rot"; 500 gold).
6.Sustenieri Automat ("Sustainable Automation"; 500 gold).
7.Athanasia Experimenta ("The Immortality Experiment"; 1000 gold).

The pet store.

You go to the capital pet store, a noisy store full of brass cages containing all kinds of small, strange monsters, many of which you have trouble imagining as someone's favorite companion. To be honest, you really don't have much of a reason to be here, since you already have Verdigris—unless you also wanted a unique little pet that probably wouldn't do anything but look cute. The shop has a huge variety of tiny pets for sale, the result of ancient vivomancy student projects running loose and breeding in the wild.

You note with interest that this store also buys pets. Given the variety of other things to buy in the capital, and the fact that you can't sell magical items here, your pet might actually be your only liquid asset besides your gold. You aren't sure what practical benefit you might derive from it anyway.

What kind of pet did you want? (You have 877 gold.)

8.Ask the store to hatch my dragon egg for me. (Requires 300 gold, plus dragon egg.)
9.I want a unique magical hybrid creature. (100 gold.)
10.I want a baby dragon. (600 gold.)
11.I want to sell my baby dragon for 300 gold.

The new magical-jewelry store.

You go to the new jewelry store hoping for a nice selection of magical curiosities. Unfortunately, the demand for magical items appears to have exceeded the supply here in the capital, and the store is full of only one kind of item: silver pendants in various shapes. There must be nearly a hundred of them in the display cases, and not a trace of any other kind of magical item.

"Do you have something that is…not these?" you ask the shopkeeper.

"Sometimes," he says. "Not often. Not now."

You suppose this is how stores selling used goods usually work. If the goods were great, people wouldn't sell them off to begin with.

"You going to buy one?" the shopkeeper says. "They're supposed to be good luck of various kinds. Unless you wear more than one. Then they just make you feel sick. So don't do that."

Running your hand over the different pendants in the display case, you get a sense for what kind of "luck" they might give: the fox head with a citrine eye is attuned to vivomancy, the eight-pointed star with a sapphire in the center is attuned to divination, and the dove inlaid with alabaster is attuned to glamor magic.

The other schools of magic are not represented; perhaps users of negation and automation met more unfortunate ends over the years.

You can choose one pendant to wear for 100 gold.

12.The fox-head pendant, attuned to vivomancy.
13.The star pendant, attuned to divination.
14.The dove pendant, attuned to glamor.

The weapons-and-armor store.

You visit the old weapons-and-armor store.

You notice that the swords and armor are selling at a discount now; apparently, people don't think that melee weapons and physical armor are going to be all that useful in an age of magic.

They're probably right, come to think of it. You focus on the items that might be useful against the Magisterians and their negation blasts. (877 gold.)

15.Purchase a shield, which should absorb a single negation blast, for 200 gold.
16.Ask to purchase a negation wand, if they have any, for 1000 gold.
17.Order leather armor with obsidian nodes built in, to stop all magical attacks. (2500 gold; requires automation and negation.)

18.I'm done shopping.

My mods and forum games.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 16, 2021, 11:39:56 am »

Bookstore:
4 Gnomai et Antignomai

Magic-jewelry:
13 The star pendant

Armor:
15 Shield.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 16, 2021, 11:59:45 am »

6, 12, 15
Sustainable Automation, the fox/Vivomancy pendant, and the shield.
We don’t need divination. There are things that we’re good at, and in my opinion, making sure that we’re really good at them is our best course of action.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 16, 2021, 12:06:33 pm »

There's been a couple times where divination might have been handy. I'd rather have all skills (except glamor) at a somewhat decent level than rely on one or two high skills.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 16, 2021, 12:18:04 pm »

Bookstore:
4 Gnomai et Antignomai

Magic-jewelry:
13 The star pendant

Armor:
15 Shield.
+1

There's been a couple times where divination might have been handy. I'd rather have all skills (except glamor) at a somewhat decent level than rely on one or two high skills.

I agree on that, and I also like the idea of having a book that can help us block divination attempts made by other people.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 16, 2021, 04:08:43 pm »

We're the official royal sorcerer, how do we not get first dibs on spellbooks anyway

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 16, 2021, 08:56:07 pm »

I started buying things with the shield, and it resulted in an unexpected stat boost vote.

Purchase a shield, which should absorb a single negation blast, for 200 gold.

You purchase a shield, thinking that it might be useful once for blocking a negation bolt. (Lost 200 Gold.)

What did you want as a crest on the shield?

1.A dark sun.
2.A gear.
3.A crown.
4.An eye.
5.A tree.
6.A sun.
7.A flame.

My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 56