Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 32460 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #570 on: November 08, 2021, 10:53:21 am »

1 then 3

First grab a turkey leg and then let's go.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 08, 2021, 10:56:12 am »

1 then 3

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 08, 2021, 02:33:33 pm »

1 then 3.

I buy a turkey leg for 5 gold.

The turkey-leg vendor's stall looks hastily constructed with fresh lumber. It's the one stall in the new market with a line, though it's not as long a line as you'd expect. The line moves along fairly quickly, and it feels like you've hardly started to point at a drumstick before the frantically efficient cashier is pressing it into your hand. (Lost 5 Gold.) When you bite into the greasy warm meat of the turkey leg, just as delicious as last time, you feel mildly uplifted by the fact that something so tasty could survive in the midst of catastrophe. (Increased Optimism.) It's a little bit magical, though not literally so.

I leave the market.

Having done what you set out to do, you return home.

Mayor Cos continues to run the town smoothly; in some ways, it's exactly the same town you left.

Cos keeps you on as secret town wizard, and asks you for your ideas about how magic could improve Akriton.

After doing some research on the town's woes, you come up with the following ideas:

1.Use automation in the foundry and other places we produce goods.
2.Use divination to increase the town's security.
3.Use vivomancy to speed the reproduction of livestock devastated after the last death cloud.
4.These probably all have unintended consequences. We should leave things the way they are.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 08, 2021, 03:35:17 pm »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 08, 2021, 04:18:12 pm »

Automation has dangerous side effects. We’re not good at Divination and also has dangerous side effects (namely that there’s a decent chance that people knowing about us could bring a lot of shit down on our head).
Vivomancy has fun side effects. :)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 08, 2021, 04:24:21 pm »

Vivomancy has fun side effects. :)
Indeed!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 08, 2021, 09:32:51 pm »

We use vivomancy.

Before the last death cloud even rolled through town, it devastated the farms to the east, leaving each with only a handful of animals at best.

You are determined to fix this problem.

You suggest addressing the problem to Mayor Cos, who says with eager curiosity, "How are you planning to fix it?"

"We just need to get the animals to reproduce faster," you say.

Mayor Cos gets a distant look while imagining what you suggest, then shakes it away. "Makes sense, I suppose," he says. "Go ahead."

You research the relevant spell before heading out to the first farm.

When you describe to the first farmer what you have in mind—just a spell to increase the animals' libido while also speeding up the gestation period, well-known to the ancients—the tired-looking woman suddenly looks quite enthusiastic. You were expecting to have to overcome some superstitious fears or protectiveness of the animals. But when it comes to her animals mating, this farmer turns out to be very pragmatic.

In the stable, standing next to a rather downcast-looking stud horse, you draw life energy from the nearby hay piles and grass outside. As your hands glow and the scent of fresh hay and grass fills the air, the farmer doesn't bat an eye.

"Zoo cogitationes, skepseis lagnos!" you say, touching the horse on its neck. The energy fuses into the horse, and it gives a start and looks around with interest. (Gained Vivomancy.)

The farmer lets that stud and a mare out of the stable, and—well, let's just say you end up leaving in a hurry, satisfied that the spell did its job. While the farmer seems unfazed by the practicalities of life, you find the whole thing awkward and bid the farmer a quick adieu.

You spend the rest of the day traveling to other farms doing the same thing. When the other farmers find out a competitor has benefited from your magic, they are quick to jump on the bandwagon as well. You cast your spell on goats, chickens, and pigs, until you're a little afraid your dreams are going to be haunted by lustful farm animals. But the farmers seem thrilled.

As for the long-term effects of your magic, you suppose you'll just have to wait and see.

One day, Tal misses a brunch appointment with you. It's not like her, so you go to the small house she shares with her mother.

There, you find that her front door has been marked with a red S, and someone has fashioned the ends of it to look like the head and tail of a snake. You've heard of this symbol—it's what the Twilight Band, the antishapeshifter fraternity, puts on a building to send the message Leave or die. A building with this mark is typically burned within a week if the owner hasn't left by then.

You hesitantly knock on the door.

Tal answers, and seems stricken when she sees you.

"Oh," she says, reddening. "I'm sorry. I forgot all about brunch." Behind her, Tal's foyer looks as though it's been cleared of valuables. You think she's moving.

"I can see you've had other things on your mind this morning," you say. "You aren't really moving, are you? I'd have thought you would fight the Twilight Band. Single-handedly, if necessary."

Tal shakes her head. "I can't risk Mother's life. They'd kill her even though she is completely human." She hesitates. "Wait. I never told you I was a shapeshifter. Did I?"

"I figured it out a long time ago," you say. "When I saw your eye had healed." Somehow, your secret doesn't seem as important to guard now that Tal is in trouble.

"You knew the whole time, and you were still my friend." Tal wipes away a tear. "Of course, I should have known."

Tal hugs you. Then, as she asks more questions, you relate the whole story of how your foolishness led to her eye injury. Tal listens to the story with interest and doesn't seem particularly upset.

"You were really afraid of telling me that?" Tal says when you're done. "All this time?"

"I thought you'd be mad, or afraid, or—something," you say.

"Eh," Tal says with a shrug. "Friends are sometimes assholes. And kids are often assholes. What's important is that you stayed my friend, and I stayed yours."

This time you feel moved to hug Tal, and you do.

"So what now?" you say.

"Now I help Mom move to Triton," Tal says. She dabs away a final tear. "I hear the Twilight Band's less active, there."

"And you?"

"Oh, they can come for me," Tal says. "I'm not moving."

You think you owe it to Tal to help her fight this thing. What magic will you use?

1.Cast a divination to find out who the mysterious leader of the Twilight Band is.
2.Cast a divination to learn the Twilight Band's meeting place, then blow it up with negation.
3.Invent an automatic sprinkler device to help Tal (or anyone) put out a fire.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 08, 2021, 09:40:12 pm »

...frankly, I don't much like any of the options given - divination is very much not our strong suit for 1 and 2, blowing up those guys' base is bound to draw attention for 2, an 3 just seems like it's way too weak a response.

And why would we have to use magic? Sure, we're not a great fighter, but we're pretty damn good at sneaking around. We should be able to do some undercover sneakery.

Blegh, whatever. Let's exercise our div muscles and pick 1. That'll likely open up options for other routes to go about accomplishing stuff.
Hopefully it works without too many repercussions.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 09, 2021, 01:19:46 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 09, 2021, 01:24:19 am »

1 seems sound. Shame we can't just get Tal to do it, though.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 09, 2021, 12:00:27 pm »

Divination.

You place your fingers to your temples, close your eyes, and send your mind reaching for the identity of the leader of the Twilight Band. "Mysterion gnomai, apokalypto indiko protistos!"

An image forms in your mind of…Banker Sara, your landlord! You can't quite believe she's in charge of the group, as unpleasant as she may be. (Gained Divination.)

In your vision, Banker Sara meets with a well-heeled male client at the local bank. She seems distracted, and casts a suspicious glance your way. You dispel the vision, though you think she may already have realized it was you who was spying on her.

"Banker Sara is the leader of the Twilight Band," you tell Tal, somewhat astonished. "My landlord."

"Huh," Tal says. "What do you think we should do about it?"

1."We should go to the mayor with this information. Maybe she'll be captured."
2."We should kill her. The Band will be in disarray without her."
3."I want to turn her into a shapeshifter."
4."I want to turn her into a tortoise. You know, for fun."

My mods and forum games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 09, 2021, 12:12:25 pm »

...3 is fucking hilarious. But now I’m also wondering why we haven’t gotten the option to make ourselves a shapeshifter.
Imagine the Subtlety buff!

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 09, 2021, 05:26:02 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 56