Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 32375 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #795 on: November 30, 2021, 09:50:49 pm »

Honestly, what even is this "side effect"? Everything previous with Vivomancy had been weird stuff happening when the spell was cast, suddenly it just makes everything that's been made with the stuff become hostile? That's not "unpredictable", that's just bullshit.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 30, 2021, 09:57:29 pm »

Honestly, what even is this "side effect"? Everything previous with Vivomancy had been weird stuff happening when the spell was cast, suddenly it just makes everything that's been made with the stuff become hostile? That's not "unpredictable", that's just bullshit.
I could *maybe* accept this if it turns out that the enemies can control vivomanced creatures with superior magic. That's what I assumed was going on as I read it.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 30, 2021, 10:02:51 pm »

Have we ever been able to use Vivomancy to directly control anything rather than just modify or create stuff?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 30, 2021, 10:21:59 pm »

I don't even recall, but just to be clear, I stopped thinking that was what was happening when I hit the "the most unpredictable magic" line. I'm pretty sure you're right about it, I just hope it's something different.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 30, 2021, 10:43:34 pm »

There's another possibility.

It could be some kinda pollution.  The natural processes of vivomancy could lead to the buildup of some kind of waste product that causes these issues and random vivomantic effects, when present in sufficient quantity.  This would mesh with the existance of a Sea of Negation.

If it's some kind of pollution that isn't known about or studied, it may not be possible to avoid just by improved techniques.  Even the most efficient system will always have some leakage, and the actual process of vivomancy might require the production of a waste product.

The reason there hasn't been trouble with vivomancy has been because there wasn't much pollution around.  Now there's many more users, so they're creating a problem that wasn't noticeable when it was just us doing it.

I vote C

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: December 01, 2021, 04:14:08 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: December 01, 2021, 04:56:38 am »

I dunno, I sort of was expecting all the magic-using to backfire at some point, but there really weren't that many options to not use it. I've had pretty much the same thoughts as Devastator about some kind of magical pollution building up.

1 or 3 aren't options for me, as I don't trust the queen or the church (nor ourselves for the matter) to make such decisions. 4 would be my ideal choice, but it'd probably just make things much worse until it's too late.

So, I'm voting 2.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 01, 2021, 01:42:05 pm »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: December 01, 2021, 02:25:42 pm »

We establish magic schools.

"We can't undo the spread of magic," you tell Mayor Cos and Queen Thecla. "But what we can do is try to educate them, to prevent them from killing themselves."

"More magic?" Blessed Advisor Sam says, distressed.

"If you think that's best," Mayor Cos says uncertainly.

"I admit, it may have seemed uncharitable of the crown not to share its magic a bit more," Queen Thecla says. "Perhaps our citizens will come up with some novel innovations that make life better for everyone."

You travel from town to town trying to teach the brightest citizens of each region how to teach magic themselves.

You usually find at least one person in each region who is genuinely enthusiastic and motivated about magic, and you focus on teaching that person so that they can in turn teach others.

But when you sit in on your new teachers' first classes, you find most people see magic as an imposition on their normal way of life, just one more way in which they must catch up with their neighbors or fall behind. Studying magic for these students is a chore.

You can also tell some of these students are wondering what the point of learning about the magical esoterica is when there's a war going on, especially when that magic isn't useful for fighting. And to some extent, they're right; this educational push will take time and resources away from the war. (Lost Kingdom Power.)

You expect to hear complaints from Hierophant Elizabeth about your decision, but instead, there is a silence that speaks volumes.

As the people learn about magic, they do become more careful with it. Many didn't realize that divination reveals information to those spied upon; people certainly become more reluctant to use the magic after that. At least the people appreciate these warnings. Your warnings about vivomancy are often ignored, since the worst effects often happen to other people, but you think people appreciate your efforts anyway. (Increased Adoration.)

Unfortunately, you think this has no effect on the bigger crisis facing you. Despite your warnings, farmers can't disentangle themselves from the competition they find themselves in. It's clear any farmer who does not use vivomancy will rapidly become bankrupt.

You have the sinking feeling something terrible is about to happen.

You are taking a stroll in the Mild Woods with Sam, trying to introduce him to the place where you first got excited about nature, with little Verdigris perched on your shoulder, when you hear a loud crash nearby. It sounds as if something very large has landed in the woods, rather close to you.

Verdigris squawks in irritation.

"What was that?" Sam says.

Sam's dragon Thomas, perched on his shoulder, whimpers a little.

1.Cast a divination to learn what it was.
2.Head toward it to see what it was.
3.I grab Sam's hand and run in the opposite direction.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 01, 2021, 07:24:31 pm »

EDIT:
I don't like what the game is doing with Vivomancy. It said it's unpredictable. If it were actually being unpredictable, there would more logically be a distribution of creatures becoming more and less intelligent, more and less hostile. All of them, across the board, becoming both more intelligent and more hostile isn't "unpredictable", it's just negative.
It's false advertising, is my point. They gave Vivomancy similar widespread side effects to Negation and Automation, but without actually mentioning that.
I just hope that there'll be any opportunities to pivot to Automation.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 07:30:43 pm by Glass »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 01, 2021, 07:50:40 pm »

It would have been easier to pivot towards Automation if you voted to rein in Vivomancy instead of building schools to it everywhere.  At this point Vivomancy use has been described as a requirement for survival.  I think the country was just destroyed by the decision to build those schools.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 08:00:28 pm by Devastator »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 01, 2021, 08:08:03 pm »

It would have been easier to pivot towards Automation if you voted to rein in Vivomancy instead of building schools to it everywhere.  At this point Vivomancy use has been described as a requirement for survival.  I think the country was just destroyed by the decision to build those schools.
I don't think trying to rein it in would have worked. Tons of people already knew how to do magic; they wouldn't just forget because we told them to stop, and a significant portion would still have kept doing it - and then we'd need to spend more resources on enforcing the regulations, and people would still be using Vivomancy to enhance their crops - stupider, more reckless Vivomancy, because nobody would have taught them how to do it safely.

I think that ideally, we'd put regulations on how much Vivomancy can be used in agriculture, but the game doesn't have that as an option for us, because CYOAs don't have space for all the options.
One reason why SGs are broadly superior, even if they take longer to update. Same reason why tabletop games are generally more fun than their video game equivalents.
(An SG based on this game might be fun to play. I want to economics at it.)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 01, 2021, 09:10:47 pm »

Some would have stopped.  Some would have seen the various threatening things happening and started listening to the warnings about it.  Some would have stopped by force of authority.  And, as the update says, some never wanted to do it in the first place, but were forced into it due to it becoming necessary.

I think that ideally, we'd put regulations on how much Vivomancy can be used in agriculture, but the game doesn't have that as an option for us

1.Support the Church's message that magic is only for the holy.
2.Establish magic schools around the kingdom to teach people to use magic responsibly.
3.Make it illegal to practice magic without the consent of the queen.
4.Interference will only make things worse. People should figure this out themselves.

I do agree with you that things may have gone too far for 1 or 3 to have been effective.  But 3 was to put regulations on magic use, and 1 was to try and convince people to stop using magic.  2 may indeed have been the least bad option of a catastrophe that could not have been avoided at that point.

But there's no reason not to try.  If you want to limit vivomancy, why teach as many people as possible to do it?  Not only that, it's teaching people to do it more and better, making the problem more permanent and intractable.

Vote is 3  It might be our giant monster or a giant monster sent by some of our enemies.  In either case, this is our enemy's chosen battlefield, so we need to run and hopefully get a better advantage.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 09:45:22 pm by Devastator »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 02, 2021, 03:34:38 am »

It seems to be no matter what choices we make it turns to complete shit for some reason, maybe the game wants us to fail no matter what we do.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56