Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 32418 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #675 on: November 16, 2021, 09:08:33 pm »

Ooooh.
A. Gears are cool and B. if this ups Automation then we can have both it and Vivomancy at 12.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 17, 2021, 02:54:44 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 17, 2021, 10:41:59 am »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 17, 2021, 08:32:38 pm »

A gear, and we continue.

Your new shield looks rather handsome, and it may come in handy for blocking a magical bolt or two. (Gained Fighting.)

The star pendant, attuned to divination.

You buy the sapphire star pendant. (Lost 100 Gold.) Slipping it on, you feel your attunement to divination increase. (Gained Divination.)

Having bought the pendant you wanted, and recalling the store owner's warning about wearing too many, you leave the pendant store.

Gnomai et Antignomai ("Divination and Antidivination"; 500 gold).

You buy Gnomai et Antignomai. (Lost 500 Gold.) The book details some techniques for breaking through magical defenses and communicating over long distances. (Gained Divination.) It also contains designs for a ring that can block divination magic. Apparently, such rings were common among entertainers and royalty in the time of the ancients.

The instructions are in fact so easy to follow that a quick pop over to a nearby costume-jewelry store, combined with a bit of automation and divination in an alley, is enough to create the antidivination ring right away. After all, you imagine somebody might want to spy on you, given your new position. (Lost 10 Gold.)

I'm done shopping.

You decide you're done spending your hard-earned money.

One day, as you're walking around the capital to get some fresh air, you come across an advertisement for a magic academy. "WANT TO LEARN MAGIC LIKE ROYAL SORCERER FOO?" it reads. "WIZARD VERA WILL SHOW YOU HOW!" The ad proceeds to claim that Vera can teach the same kinds of magic that you know, because Vera studied under you and was your closest pupil. (Which is certainly misleading at the very least.)

You're somewhat surprised that the Church lets Vera get away with this, but perhaps the Church really is holding back in light of the Magisterians at the border. Then again, you've noticed Queen Thecla pushing back against the Church in the capital as well—perhaps her influence has helped protect Vera.

At any rate, Vera appears to be shamelessly using your name to promote her budding magic academy, so you decide you may as well investigate.

The address on the flyer turns out to lead only to a burned-out building, its windows long ago smashed. But Vera senses your arrival and makes mental contact with you through divination, then directs you to the real address, her apartment. So that's how she's avoided the inquisitors. Vera's telepathically communicated voice sounds enthusiastic about your visit.

Vera's apartment is in a wealthier district in town, in a white building with a columned portico in the style of the ancients.

You make your way up a marble spiral staircase and knock on a door on the third floor. Vera answers. "Foo!" she greets you enthusiastically. You can see a handful of students sitting cross-legged on the floor behind her. It's a rather nice apartment, with polished hardwood floors and tasteful framed art on the walls. You notice Vera is wearing the navy-blue robes typically reserved for a professor.

It strikes you as odd that Vera should be old enough to be a teacher to these students, who are all in their teens. But you suppose many private tutors and nannies are her age, and in a year's time, she graduated and taught at the university itself.

The students behind Vera are trying to keep tiny animals from running around—lizards, mice, hamsters, and snakes. You suppose Vera is teaching vivomancy, though you didn't think Vera knew anything about that.

1.Offer to be a guest speaker, for a fee.
2.Convince Vera she doesn't know enough to teach magic.
3.Betray Vera to the inquisitors.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 17, 2021, 08:42:15 pm »

Could we probably convince her to stop? Probably, yeah. But eh, let's just do our part to make sure these kids actually learn what to do.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 18, 2021, 04:54:58 am »

3 We didn't approve of this and we don't want our name attached to it!

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 18, 2021, 10:57:56 am »

We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 18, 2021, 02:34:54 pm »

We offer to be a guest speaker.

"I thought your students might appreciate a guest lecture from the great Royal Sorcerer Foo," you say with a tinge of sarcasm. "In exchange for a modest speaking fee, of course."

"Of course!" Vera says, brightening. "Come in, come in." As you're coming in the door, Vera mouths, One hundred per talk?

You hold up two fingers, and Vera nods as if it's not that important.

You deliver a lecture that delights the young students, and Vera enthusiastically pays you two hundred gold at the end of it. (Gained 200 Gold.)

Unfortunately, tragedy strikes before you can deliver another lecture. A student tries to turn himself into a snake and instead poisons himself and dies, causing his parents to seek revenge by turning Vera over to the inquisitors. Vera is executed, and the whole incident reflects badly on you because of the school's association with your name. (Increased Vilification.)

With Vera's death, you feel a wave of guilt. You thought of Vera as your equal, but she was clearly reckless and needed better guidance from you to survive. To you, she was a friend, but to her, you could have been a mentor. And you let her down. (Increased Solemnity.)

The people of the kingdom don't adjust as well as you might have hoped to having monsters around on a daily basis. As the streets become crowded with large beasts, there are inevitable accidents, with a tail lash putting someone into a coma, or a misplaced saurian foot squashing a beloved family pet. The price of food goes up as well, as these beasts are all hungry and they compete for the same food that humans eat. You hear reports of food riots in the markets. (Increased Vilification.) You make a mental note to work more on faster-growing crops that can sustain all these hulking creatures.

Meanwhile, Magisterian airships have now been spotted by the general public. The smooth-hulled ships cruise by towns near the Negative Sea without making contact or even revealing any Magisterian crew. The aerodynamic metal ships equipped with huge wands of negation are enigmatic but certainly do not seem friendly. Were it not for this imminent threat, the people would be no doubt still more unhappy about the changes. As it is, many accept them as a necessary evil.

"We need to consider how to keep the people happy during this time of uncertainty," Queen Thecla says. You are seated on her left-hand side in the throne room, while Blessed Advisor Sam is on the right. "Things aren't as bad as they think. They're just panicking. If we can get them to focus on something besides their troubles…"

"This is not a problem that demands a magical solution," Blessed Advisor Sam objects before you can give an opinion. "The people simply need to have faith, in us and in Abraxas. Though I admit I may have once thought these beasts unnatural—all right, I still do—it is Abraxas's will that people learn to live without fear."

Queen Thecla casts a skeptical look at Blessed Advisor Sam, as if she's a little tired of his being in the room.

"Any ideas?" the queen asks you.

1.Teach glamors to entertainers, and use divination to spread their influence.
2.Broadcast the culture of the capital, but without glamors.
3.Tell the people to heed the Church: all they need is faith and love.

That seems harsh.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 18, 2021, 02:45:41 pm »

One would have thought that producing crops to feed the beasts we made would have been part and parcel of that whole plan, considering feeding them was explicitly mentioned as their fuel source. Blegh.

Let’s do 2. We’re now pretty good at both Divination and Charisma.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 18, 2021, 06:07:56 pm »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 18, 2021, 09:18:25 pm »

Did we fall and hit our head while shopping and catch the stupid or something?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 19, 2021, 12:52:23 am »

We broadcast the culture of the capital.

"Your Majesty, we have a wealth of entertainments here in the capital that could help lift the spirits of the border towns," you say. "Even if they don't hear your voice directly, they will feel your love through these gifts."

For once, Blessed Advisor Sam just shrugs. "That's…reasonable, I suppose."

Queen Thecla nods. "Let it be so."

You go from musician to musician, from one acting troupe to another, offering to broadcast their works to distant towns that they themselves have never visited. They often ask whether they will be able to hear their listeners' applause; you assure them that this is so.

Couriers carry large enchanted mirrors to distant towns, and the performers themselves use a giant mirror in the palace garden to broadcast their music and plays to those distant artifacts. The constant performances in the garden create a pleasant atmosphere in the palace, and Queen Thecla approves. (Increased Thecla Relationship.) Meanwhile, you understand that the performances are a great hit in the border towns, which have stopped their worried murmuring about your magical beasts. (Increased Adoration.)

During these upheavals in the kingdom, you find yourself taking more and more comfort in your relationship with Tal.

Your beloved huntress finds more and more excuses to spend time around the capital, though she also finds plentiful excuses not to attend formal dinners. Out of the public's eye, you, she, and Noodles enjoy shedding your formality and engaging in pillow fights, finger painting, bubble blowing, and general playful antics that would surprise anyone who only saw her disembowel giant beasts.

One romantic spring evening, you're attending a concert with Tal in the palace garden. You managed to get free admittance for Tal through your connections to the queen.

The band consists of a mandolin player, a flutist, and a hand drummer, and the audience is energetically clapping along to a jaunty song.

A huge mirror suspended at an angle above the band will convey their sound and images to mirrors scattered in towns across the kingdom, but it's another thing entirely to see the band live.

The band finishes their set, and the audience cheers and applauds.

"Come with me back to my apartment," Tal tells you. "I have…something I want to discuss with you."

Something is surely weighing on Tal's mind. You follow Tal away from the performance.

Tal's apartment in the capital is somewhat spartan, though she has strewn fluffy pillows around to make it look more lived-in. She sits down on her four-post bed and invites you to do the same. You oblige her.

Tal gets down on one knee, surprising you. She produces a ring box from her belt pouch and opens it.

A ring of white gold gleams within. There is no gem—it's plain, which you suppose matches Tal's taste.

"Foo, we've known each other for an awfully long time," Tal says. "And I'm pretty sure there's nobody who'll ever understand me as well as you. So, do you want to get…married?" She blinks away tears and smiles.

You've never really seen Tal struggle to be brave before.

1."Yes, of course!"
2."I'm not ready. I'm sorry. But I want to stay together."
3."It's never been the right time to tell you, but—I don't think we should be together."

My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 56