Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 32449 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #586 on: November 09, 2021, 11:58:01 pm »

We want to turn her into a shapeshifter.

Tal frowns at this. "I don't like the way you're talking about shapeshifting as if it were some kind of curse." (Decreased Tal Relationship.)

"I just want to show her the error of her ways," you say. "Hopefully she'll see it's not a curse. Like you're not really different."

"Look, please don't," Tal says. "I don't like the idea of who I am being a magical curse you can drop on people, even if you can. There must be something else you can do."

1."We should go to the mayor with this information. Maybe she'll be captured."
2."We should kill her. The Band will be in disarray without her."
3."I want to turn her into a tortoise. You know, for fun."

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 10, 2021, 12:12:07 am »

Aw.

Oh well, let's do 1.

I still think we should be able to turn ourself into a shapeshifter. The church would have a hell of a time finding us again if we did that.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 10, 2021, 12:20:53 am »

Really no other option than 1 for me.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 10, 2021, 01:29:11 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 10, 2021, 02:04:38 am »

We report her.

It's worth a shot," Tal agrees.

You go to Mayor Cos with your tip about the identity of the leader of the Twilight Band.

"I've been meaning to deal with them for a long time," Cos says. "Don't worry, I've got this covered."

You soon find out that a massive raid of Banker Sara's house turned up the indigo robes that are used for Twilight Band meetings, along with a ledger containing the names of other members. Nearly fifteen people are arrested, a huge operation for tiny Akriton.

Tal's house is not burned down, and she tells you that the shapeshifters of Akriton are grateful for your divination and actions on their behalf.

"Not my favorite kind of 'adventure' to be sure," Tal murmurs as Mayor Cos locks the last of the Twilight Band in a prison cell.

"This was a pretty good dragon to slay, though," you say.

"Yeah. It was," Tal agrees. (Increased Tal Relationship.)

You continue to wonder whether the hierophant will send another party after you to reclaim you, but this never happens. Perhaps she doesn't wish to risk more catastrophic losses

After a few months of animals breeding under the influence of your vivomancy, you begin to see the prices of animals fall across Akriton, even those animals that were unaffected by your magic. It begins to seem as if everybody owns a pet or steed.

One fall day, when the weather has begun to turn cold, you receive a knock on your door from a messenger dressed in the queen's livery—a gold crown above a gold lion rampant on navy blue.

"The queen has received word that there is a town wizard here in Akriton," the messenger says.

Your heart plummets. "And?"

"And she wishes to extend a better offer than your current one, as it is not seemly for a mayor to have access to a staff that she does not."

Oh. That's very different from what you were expecting. "She's offering me a position at her court?"

The messenger nods. "Her Majesty offers you a special position as her counsel," he says. "You may have your choice of titles and a stipend of ten thousand gold a year."

"And I can freely perform magic?" you inquire hesitantly.

"Just so," the messenger says, frowning as if he's unsure of the wisdom of this stipulation.

The choice is easy.

"I accept," you tell him.

Chapter 6:The Queen's Court

You await Queen Thecla in her great throne room, a large hall festooned with banners of various important noble houses and busy with gossiping courtiers. The courtiers' main topic of conversation at the moment appears to be you, as you catch darting glances from around the room. But they are subtle; you never quite catch a direct stare.

Since you're still relatively unknown in the capital, you suppose it's your clothing that is drawing their attention.

What have you decided to wear to court?

1.My scholar's garb.
2.My duelist uniform. (+Charisma)
3.My black robes. (+Subtlety, +Negation)
4.My stealthy black outfit. (++Subtlety)
5.I quickly purchased some fancy clothing on the way to court. (-300 gold)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 10, 2021, 02:23:16 am »

...5. We're at court now. Sneaking around, while potentially still quite useful, simply isn't going to be as useful as before, and likely comes with more hazardous repercussions. Better charisma, however, is likely to be essential.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 10, 2021, 02:30:43 am »

Uh, so we get no choice whether we want to go to the court or not? Would've refused the offer.

Oh well, since that's beyond our control, I'll choose the scholar's garb.

So, 1.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 10, 2021, 02:57:36 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 10, 2021, 10:27:16 am »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 10, 2021, 03:34:30 pm »

We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 10, 2021, 05:05:56 pm »

The duelist uniform.

You decide to wear your duelist uniform. (Gained Charisma.) The courtiers recognize your outfit as that of an amateur duelist, and they seem to appreciate the implication that you have come to duel honorably. You've managed to accumulate respect in the capital from your sartorial choices alone. (Increased Adoration.)

The courtiers' own outfits are highly exaggerated, with long pointed shoes that curl at the tips, and giant feathered hats that must make it a challenge to navigate a crowded room. You suppose they're advertising the fact that they are too important to ever do anything menial.

You perform a visual scan of the room to identify who can see and hear what. Balconies afford courtiers on the second level a view of most of the proceedings, but there are areas under these overhangs where individuals would not be able to see. The courtiers standing and sitting all along the sides of the throne room look inward, meaning those who wish to be seen by others stand along the sides, while those who wish only to observe take their places in the back. The crowd is thickest and never silent in the back, so you would take your place there if you wished to have a public but quiet conversation. Such observations may help you make your way through the capital's political scene. (Gained Charisma.) (Increased Adoration.)

The throne, a large gilded seat flaking at the edges but still commanding, is accompanied by a second seat made of what appears to be pure alabaster. The back of the chair is engraved with a flame, an eye, and a sun. This must be the seat for the queen's Blessed Advisor. You briefly wonder whether you will get a chair as well.

A servant in the queen's navy-blue-and-gold livery emerges from the back door behind the throne and beckons to you. You follow him through the back door and into a passage that seems not to be intended for the public, judging from the old stone walls that appear dusted but unadorned. Burning torches provide the light; there are no windows.

The servant knocks on a plain-looking wooden door.

"Come in," commands an alto from within.

The servant opens the door, and you're surprised to find yourself being led into the queen's bedchamber.

The queen herself sits at a cluttered writing desk. She wears a puffy white dress that sparkles in the light from the barred skylight above. She looks younger than you expect; you knew she was thirty-three, eight years older than you, but somehow you had expected her to look more middle-aged. Her smooth skin and lustrous long hair admit no ravages of time, but her eyes bespeak hard-earned wisdom and a touch of amusement.

You wonder at first where you're supposed to sit—the canopied four-post bed? The queen pushes her chair away from the desk slightly, and the servant drags a cushioned chair out from behind the veiled bed and into position across from the queen.

"Have a seat," Queen Thecla says. "Unless you plan to conjure a better one." Her attitude is pleasant but slightly sardonic.

You have the strange sensation of being watched from elsewhere, and you notice tiny embrasures on three of the walls where arrows could pass. Protection from assassination seems to have trumped aesthetic concerns at nearly every stage of the palace's design, and you have no doubt you would be full of arrows in a moment if you made any sudden moves. You slowly and deliberately take the seat opposite the queen.

"You must be Mayor Cos's secret wizard," Queen Thecla says.

"Indeed," you affirm.

"I understand you're willing to be my advisor, but the deal is not yet final on my end," Queen Thecla says. "I'd just like you to answer some questions for me first."

She pauses, and you stifle a "go ahead" because it would be presumptuous to give the queen permission to do anything.

"Are the magics of the saints and the magics of the ancients one and the same?" Queen Thecla asks you.

1."Yes. The Church is engaged in a grand deception."
2."Yes, but for the good of humanity, this must not become widely known."
3."No, the magic of the ancients is more powerful."

I figure that we automatically accepted the offer because the subtext was "Work for me and get a bunch of money and the freedom to do all the magic you want, or die/go to prison."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 10, 2021, 05:43:53 pm »

A. I want to be honest.
B. I don't like the Church, but I still think they're broadly doing their best.
C. I don't think the Saints deserve to get lynched, which will happen if word of this gets out prior to broad societal change.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 10, 2021, 06:16:32 pm »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 10, 2021, 06:50:15 pm »

While I understand the Church's basic reasoning here, I don't actually agree that this is necessary for the good of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 56